FJ60 Body Lean (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all. Im new to the forum. I have a 1987 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ60 with a 2" OME lift (heavy front / medium rear). The lift kit was installed about 15,000 miles ago. I have noticed that the body of the vehicle is leaning to the left bout 1" to the drivers side. I thought maybe it was one of the springs that was sagging so I flipped flopped springs from left to right but it didn't make any difference. It's been like this since I've owned it and I'm not sure if it was leaning before the lift was installed. Any thoughts on what could be causing this?

Thank you!!!

Welcome and congrats on the 60. As you suspect there's a bunch of info here contributed by a group of really passionate people. While not specifically in the FJ60 section there's a bunch of info on Cruiser Lean in the 40 section - all can be accessed through the FAQ portal

Start here " Cruiser lean "

now we need photos - lots of photos

Hey @BIG R . welcome. I have exact same situation as you. 87 60, 2 inch OME lift and a slightly lower left front end. Annoys the crap out of me.
I've read all of the "Cruiser Lean" threads posted by @Ming89FJ62 as well. They all come out of the 40 and 55 threads and the fix suggested by Toyota includes a part that is NLA. I assume the fix is the same - install a spacer between axle and leaf spring on the HIGH Side. (took me a while to understand the geometry of that, but it makes sense now). Now, all i need is 3/8 in piece of steel and 15 minutes to install it to see if works. I think my U bolts are long enough.

If and when i do it. I'll post some before and after picks and we'll have another, more up to date, thread to add to the Cruiser Lean folder.

Good luck

Mine leans about 1.5 inches to the passenger side. We should park next to each other to even things out. :D

It's been that way since I've owned it. Has an OME 3" lift put on by the PO. It offends my sense of symmetry, being a mechanical engineer, but so far I haven't felt compelled to correct it.

the lean to the driver side is still there, just as it was on the stock springs.
- FWIW, mine had a lean prior to the OME lift being installed as well. I've heard it attributed to the mighty (in weight, not performance) 2F being off center, but you'd think the transfer case would even that out somewhat. It does appear to be pretty common though.

The OME springs are made to compensate partially for this if you use the right ones on the right side.

@BIG R look and see what springs you have and what side the "A" and "B" springs are on. There is even a + with some of the springs. Once you know what's where, call Kurt at Cruiseroutfitters and he can fix you up with either a new spring pack, a spare leaf or advice to swap side to side. What you have going on is very common but it can be fixed.

Thanks for all the valuable input guys. Seems to be a common problem. Im going to go take a closer look at my OME spring packs and look for markings and what not. I'll post again once I figure out the solution to the problem and post some photos as well. Thanks of all the good advice!!!

Hello again. Ok so I've been out of town the last 3 weeks and just got home and fixed the body lean on my 87' FJ60. I have 2" OME heavy springs up front and medium springs in the rear. My land cruiser had an approximate 1" lean to drivers side. This lean was present both at the front of the vehicle and rear.
So i called the guys at Cruiser Outfitters and told them my situation. They recommended installing an OME 1XL add a leaf on drivers side front and a OME 2XL add a leaf on drivers side rear. It sits perfectly level now all the way across. Looks awesome.

i just notice the lean on mine and it is annoying
It doesn't suit my OCD either. I've learned to see it as character however, consider rear air bags. I've heard great things as far as increased loads, stability, and fixing the lean. I understand it's pretty straightforward install, maybe a little welding. They pair well with leafs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom