FJ60/80 Hybrid 2.0 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Gosh it's been years since I've built something. I'm pretty excited to jump back into it.

I picked up this beauty. (well its a bit rough, but pretty to me)

Basically just a body and frame...

IMG_2554-1.jpeg

Going to be robbing parts from this... Has and light engine knock so it will be getting a different power plant.

IMG_0688.jpeg

Most important of all it has this fun little knob...

IMG_2532.jpeg

Been parting out the 80 but made some progress taking it down to the frame. And man I made a mess. Lol.
01B670C6-47C6-4BCC-B15C-21BEBA3C99ED.jpeg

I haven’t decided if I’m going to cut the 80 chassis and swap it in or cut off the mounts and weld them in. I’ve thought about going with leafs in the rear and radius arms in the front. Not sure yet. It will get some sort of V8 power plant. Also going to be crafting in the 80 dash and HVAC components. So that will be interesting.

After just going through welding the 80 suspension on another frame I would suggest swapping the body on the 80 frame. I can understand why you would keep you 60 frame if you only swap the radius arms on.

Last edited:
Still debating on frame swap or suspension swap.

If I did the suspension swap I would probably 3-link the front and double triangulate the rear to get rid of the track bar. All those would give me heaps more flex! hmmmmmmm....

Anyone know if you can you use front mini truck steering knuckles on 80 axles? Wouldn't mind doing a high steer conversion.

You can not use mini truck knuckles on 80 axles. The knuckle balls on an 80 are way larger.

If you're going to three link and double-triangulate the rear, keep your frame and design it from scratch.

Hellfire Fabworks makes a set of High-Steer knuckles for the 80 series axle. I've been doing some research about 3-links for the 60 series. I want to 3-link my FJ62 using an 80 series front axle as I want to match the width of my 80 series rear and want the higher pinion, I'm currently SOA. 4 Wheel Underground has a 3-link kit that is designed for the 80 series that has me intrigued Ruff Stuff also has a kit that is better priced but would require more work. If you link it, what shocks and springs would you go with? I've been looking really hard at the ORI Struts.

Last edited:
But then you'd be stuck with the 8" ring gear in your front end. It would be better to widen a FJ60 housing and run 6-shooter knuckles, or keyed steering arms in stock steering knuckles.

But then you'd be stuck with the 8" ring gear in your front end. It would be better to widen a FJ60 housing and run 6-shooter knuckles, or keyed steering arms in stock steering knuckles.
Are the 8" housings that much weaker? I already have the 80 series front axle that I got for a good deal.

If you're doing a three link and going with >=37" tires, then yeah. It's the diff that's the weak link. The knuckles and birfs are larger, but the diff is way smaller.

If you're doing a three link and going with >=37" tires, then yeah. It's the diff that's the weak link. The knuckles and birfs are larger, but the diff is way smaller.
Hmm...well now you have me thinking... *thinking out loud* Even with a part time conversion it wouldn't matter because I would need it to be in 4wd on trails, when I would also need it to be at its strongest. Any possibility of modding the 80 series housing to accept the 60 series third member?

Hmm...well now you have me thinking... *thinking out loud* Even with a part time conversion it wouldn't matter because I would need it to be in 4wd on trails, when I would also need it to be at its strongest. Any possibility of modding the 80 series housing to accept the 60 series third member?

No chance. The 80 uses a high pinion 8". The 60s and 40s use a 9.5" diff. Dramatically different housings.

I finally found a thread which is brand new and goes in the (almost) same direction I am looking at here is my rough beauty I am planning on as time allows it - maybe not neccessarily the financial budget, but this I will work out.

F9866782-9A83-402F-A3F7-C163900F93C3.jpeg

No chance. The 80 uses a high pinion 8". The 60s and 40s use a 9.5" diff. Dramatically different housings.
But you can put 80 ends on a 60 housing and make it whatever length you want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom