fj60/62 3D Model (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ran into some rental issues a couple weeks ago, sewer backed up while I was gone. Finally getting back to this project and im almost done. Resolution is finer but still in need of some sanding, expecially on the windshield. Just need some finishing touches and I think version one will be done.

this is about a 1/12 scale redbull for scale, with the printers I have access too I can do 1/10th in two halves.

View attachment 2572629View attachment 2572630View attachment 2572631

I have a cheap fj45 rc model coming in im going to use this body for. Hopefully I get all the kinks worked out before im done

I have a question for the ones who may want a model, how should I do the body mounts? Should it be something you can glue on to match what you have or do fixed mounts? I really don't know much about how RC bodies work.
Love this!

Can and will send you a car if you want to work out body mounts, they are pretty simple.

Sorry to hear about the sewer and very excited for this headway!

Ran into some rental issues a couple weeks ago, sewer backed up while I was gone. Finally getting back to this project and im almost done. Resolution is finer but still in need of some sanding, expecially on the windshield. Just need some finishing touches and I think version one will be done.

this is about a 1/12 scale redbull for scale, with the printers I have access too I can do 1/10th in two halves.

View attachment 2572629View attachment 2572630View attachment 2572631

I have a cheap fj45 rc model coming in im going to use this body for. Hopefully I get all the kinks worked out before im done

I have a question for the ones who may want a model, how should I do the body mounts? Should it be something you can glue on to match what you have or do fixed mounts? I really don't know much about how RC bodies work.
Did you print the model in one piece or did you cut it into several pieces to print? I keep getting an error in Fusion 360 when I try to cut it. Also is the 1/12 RC you're getting a WPL C44 by any chance?

Did you print the model in one piece or did you cut it into several pieces to print? I keep getting an error in Fusion 360 when I try to cut it. Also is the 1/12 RC you're getting a WPL C44 by any chance?
2 peices, and roughly 1/12 though I can do 1/10 in 2 peices. If your using the previous model I posted in here this one is completely differen, so I couldn't tell you what the problem would be.

Also this is the RC im getting, its just some cheapy toy. Im just anxious to finally get something together.

Love this!

Can and will send you a car if you want to work out body mounts, they are pretty simple.

Sorry to hear about the sewer and very excited for this headway!
Honestly that would be awesome, but are most RC body mounts standard? Honestly I can work with pictures and basic deminsions to model the mounts.

2 peices, and roughly 1/12 though I can do 1/10 in 2 peices. If your using the previous model I posted in here this one is completely differen, so I couldn't tell you what the problem would be.

Also this is the RC im getting, its just some cheapy toy. Im just anxious to finally get something together.
Oh, I may have downloaded the older one. That MN one looks decent, good for custom work for sure. I think later on if you want a bit more performance the WPL would be a better option. The MN trucks are based on WPL ones though, so most of the upgrades will fit both brand trucks.

Oh, I may have downloaded the older one. That MN one looks decent, good for custom work for sure. I think later on if you want a bit more performance the WPL would be a better option. The MN trucks are based on WPL ones though, so most of the upgrades will fit both brand trucks.
Honestly my goal would be to buy all the parts and custom build my own.

As for the model once I get this model version finished I need to decide how I want to handle everything. Although I didn't make the initial model I probably have over 200 hours getting it to a workable state, and to be honest I want to partially fund a Pro 3D printer. If I get the new Raise 3D pro + (which is pricey) I could print a 1/10 model in one print. On the other hand I was too cheap to actually buy a model so it might be hypocritical for me to ask for someone to buy a .STL

As for the model once I get this model version finished I need to decide how I want to handle everything. Although I didn't make the initial model I probably have over 200 hours getting it to a workable state, and to be honest I want to partially fund a Pro 3D printer. If I get the new Raise 3D pro + (which is pricey) I could print a 1/10 model in one print. On the other hand I was too cheap to actually buy a model so it might be hypocritical for me to ask for someone to buy a .STL
I'd totally be willing to support the build, just let me know. I understand the amount of trial and error that goes into the design process, time, filament, labor, etc..

What part of VA are you in btw? I'm in the Southwestern area

I'd totally be willing to support the build, just let me know. I understand the amount of trial and error that goes into the design process, time, filament, labor, etc..

What part of VA are you in btw? I'm in the Southwestern area
I'm currently in Grad school in Norfolk but my family lives in SW VA.

Also that would be awesome, I want to get the first version done so I have something to show for my work. My goal is to further refine it and smooth out all the surfaces. I also thought I could customize the models for people who have after market parts, but it doesn't seem to many people are interested in that.

I'm currently in Grad school in Norfolk but my family lives in SW VA.

Also that would be awesome, I want to get the first version done so I have something to show for my work. My goal is to further refine it and smooth out all the surfaces. I also thought I could customize the models for people who have after market parts, but it doesn't seem to many people are interested in that.
Honestly doing this would be a pretty big hit in the RC market. Especially for those who don't want to sell their arm and leg for an MFab one. I think future improvements would be separate window pieces that can be done transparent, as well as headlights and taillights

Honestly doing this would be a pretty big hit in the RC market. Especially for those who don't want to sell their arm and leg for an MFab one. I think future improvements would be separate window pieces that can be done transparent, as well as headlights and taillights
Already have the headlights set up to be removed easily, the tail lights are gonna need to be re done.

Honestly I've considered going the vacume forming route, but due to covid the vacuum former my lab was gonna get is delayed. So I may graduate before I get a chance to use it.

Already have the headlights set up to be removed easily, the tail lights are gonna need to be re done.

Honestly I've considered going the vacume forming route, but due to covid the vacuum former my lab was gonna get is delayed. So I may graduate before I get a chance to use it.
I would imagine a good formed FJ62 body would be a bit difficult to do since the lower parts of the car curve inward. Maybe if you did you could do multiple pieces as some RC bodies do come in?

I would imagine a good formed FJ62 body would be a bit difficult to do since the lower parts of the car curve inward. Maybe if you did you could do multiple pieces as some RC bodies do come in?
Actually with a 3D printer model it would be easy, you would just need to create small air flow channels throughout the model to suck in to all the curves. Removing the model would be the difficult part.

As for the multiple parts that would be more along the lines of injection molding, which is possible to do. basically I would need to create aluminum cast molds of the individual parts. Which in the long run would actually make it significantly cheaper to produce, I would just need to sell upwards of 1K models to make it worth the cost.

3D printing is the most viable option if there is a small market, id guess if there was more than 100 people interested that's when I would start to consider traditional manufacturing methods.

Actually with a 3D printer model it would be easy, you would just need to create small air flow channels throughout the model to suck in to all the curves. Removing the model would be the difficult part.

As for the multiple parts that would be more along the lines of injection molding, which is possible to do. basically I would need to create aluminum cast molds of the individual parts. Which in the long run would actually make it significantly cheaper to produce, I would just need to sell upwards of 1K models to make it worth the cost.

3D printing is the most viable option if there is a small market, id guess if there was more than 100 people interested that's when I would start to consider traditional manufacturing methods.
You could start off selling the files on myminifactory for people to print themselves.

Have no problem donating to your cause, will gladly support it

I’m no body guy and don’t claim to be one. Those Mfab kits you need to be one.

Yes I’d take two bodies maybe three

Have no problem donating to your cause, will gladly support it

I’m no body guy and don’t claim to be one. Those Mfab kits you need to be one.

Yes I’d take two bodies maybe three
MFab bodies are straight up puzzles

Sorry for the late update guys, I have been working on signing a contract for a job after I graduate so I have been preoccupied. But i finally think I have the 3D model where I want it. I have one in the works with all body parts removable but working through fitment was taking forever. This one just has the front grill and hood removable.
20210316_142133.jpg

20210315_182931.jpg
20210315_183026.jpg
20210316_142148.jpg
20210315_182940.jpg

Still need to model the bumpers and mirrors but I think this is solid model.

that's downright amazing! how many hours invested so far? Love it

that's downright amazing! how many hours invested so far? Love it
Well I started the model November 2019 Ish, but probably 300+ hours. What took the longest was just figuring out how to transfer over from a google sketchup model to a solid .stl. This is the 4th iteration, and each time it got easier and easier to start from scratch.

I still want to make this more and more realistic with open doors and what have you, but that gonna take a while to get things to fit smoothly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom