FJ55 turn signal relay (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My turn signals and flashers both flash super fast... those that work... which is both tail lights and the front right... thinking it's the turn signal relay I look at the schematic for my year and it shows the three wire plug... I find what I believe to be the three wires but only two are hooked up to a two prong circular relay... so not sure but the wire color tells me I'm correct...

I've read the relay threads and can see where several owners have adapted two flashers... I've tried to locate a plug and play at the vendor locations (SOR, EBay, etc).... w no success

my question is the FJ60 uses a three prong turn signal relay... has anyone tried to use in a 55?

I can't answer your question but have you made sure that every bulb in those circuits is good? Often a fast blinker is an indication of a blown bulb. No idea if that is true for our pigs.
I'm not certain because my front left turn signal is flashing very quick like the rest but very dimly, I'm thinking due to poor ground. I'm replacing it today w a new turn signal made for the 40 but but exchanging the pedestal base... I was/am hoping that's it... but as stated above I'm also thinking the issue may be the replacement relay I found (I'm certain it''s a replacement not OEM) is a two prong and the third wire is unattached... so my limited knowledge tells me to replace the turn signal (bolt that attaches and grounds it is badly rusted) and to start looking for a solution on the three wire.... I'm thinking it's possibly a universal fit for any flasher three way prong... ? but again no knowledge.. and if original is not available, then a 60 relay?

and it was an 'end of day' effort and the clock ran out on me to further chase it...

There is no turn signal relay and the flasher "relay" is called a Flasher Assembly:

81980FLASHER ASSY, TURN SIGNAL
81980-30040(09/1977 - 06/1980)1
81980-31030(07/1970 - 08/1977)

81981FLASHER ASSY, HAZARD WARNING SIGNAL
Not applicable
81990RELAY ASSY, TURN SIGNAL
Not applicable

The later one is available:

Looks like the earlier one is discontinued:

The later one is available:

Looks like the earlier one is discontinued:

I saw that and thanks.. but I'm in need of the three prong... yours is a 77 correct? it should also have a three prong unless I'm wrong on this?

Did you put LEDs in by chance? That will cause fast flashing as they don't have the same power draw as incandescent bulbs and a resistor needs to be added or a flasher that is designed for LEDs
I did not, but I saw that on another thread and I should go thru each and double check PO's efforts ...
I looked at the headlights and neither are OEM, no surprise there of course... but thinking about it last night one could be LED if I remember correctly...
Question1: would an LED headlight cause the flashers to flash fast?

I'm also going to cross check the flash assembly on my red/white and make sure it's a three prong...

I think I'm stuck on believing I need a three prong assembly, and have a two prong... but that's demonstrating a complete capacity to be wrong... however that thought matches the schematic for a 77 55 and the three color code correct wires I located at what I believe to be the two prong flasher assembly.. and then throw in a possible LED bulb.....and a weak front left turn signal ground...

Question 2: Am I reading the threads and schematic correctly that the 72-77 pigs require a 3 prong flasher assembly?

tasks are taking me in a different direction today away from the pigs, but I think checking the bulbs, and cross checking w the other 77 I have will give some direction....

Question 3: Are flasher assemblies generic? Can I for example get a 60 flasher relay, which is three prong, and use it if that's what my truck requires?

Thanks for the help....

Flashers are pretty generic, you don't need a LC specific one. It's been a long time but I'm pretty sure I put a 3 prong in one of my 40s when it came with a 2 prong. I don't remember why. I can check later.

LED headlights won't cause fast flashing but they may cause your high beam indicator to not function.

You can put an LED flasher in even if you run a mix of LEDs and incandescent bulbs.

Flashers are pretty generic, you don't need a LC specific one. It's been a long time but I'm pretty sure I put a 3 prong in one of my 40s when it came with a 2 prong. I don't remember why. I can check later.

LED headlights won't cause fast flashing but they may cause your high beam indicator to not function.

You can put an LED flasher in even if you run a mix of LEDs and incandescent bulbs.
Thanks much.... learning... trying not to ask questions that I should be able to find answers to... but electrical really brings out my incompetence...grins

Also check the grounds at each housing. Often they are rusty and /or loose and not making good contact. I like to wire brush all the contact points and liberally apply dielectric grease before reassembling.

going to change out what I think the problem may be today re the flashers... got a new left front turn signal for the 40 and swapping in a 55 pedestal ,, we'll see..
thanks all for the guidance..

yes. 95% certain adding a dedicated ground wire to your front housings will solve your issues.

The pedestal is not the issue.swa
I mentioned the pedestal swap because I purchased new in the box front left and right front OEM turn signal assemblies, available thru Toyota parts deal, but they are for the 40 due to the plastic pedestal base... I removed the pedestal bases off my OEM 55 turn signal assemblies, and swapped them in so the assemblies now fit the contour of the 55... the assemblies come with new bulbs and are plug and play...

So, that was my first stab at 'fixing' the blinkers/flashers, and guess what...... you were correct.... which bulb it was I have no idea, or even if it was a poor ground from the assembly to the fender, but everything now works.... all is good... I no longer care if I need a three prong or not! grins it's working....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom