FJ55 snorkel revisited..

Even though I can't stand the cost and really think it's hardly worth it.. One thing is it does look cool... I wanted a snorkel but a nice streamlined one and was willing to spend the money I guess... I also viewed it as a "performance mod" with the cold outside air acting as "ram air..."

I noticed the 70 series and FJ55 have similar lines...
snork1.jpg
snork2.jpg

So I ordered up a BJ70 snorkel from Cruiseroutfitters.com

There are a couple mods you have to do, one is a cut because 70's dont have the flare where the fender vents are and the second is to push the snorkel out because it's slightly bent more inwards on 70 series.

I used a cutooff wheel on my grinder to make the cut, used a cheapo plastic welder from Harbor Frieght. This was actually really hard to use. I actually just reused excess material trimmed off the Safari Snorkel and this welded the best.

Then a mapp gas torch to heat and mold. The safari snorkels are very easy to heat and modify. If I were to do again though I would cut and tack and bring to a real plastic welder for good clean strong plastic welds IMO.
Picture 011.jpg
Picture 012.jpg
Picture 013.jpg

Yeah surprized no one did it before... Anyway, it does work. But still at $300 for a snorkel that is just rediculous. Next time it will be $30 in PVC...

fj55-100

SILVER Star

Yea mine started as a fj 60 one , and got the chop-n-fill
THAT IS SWEET Andre , Yours came out a little better than mine

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom