FJ55 4m40 diesel swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just acquired a low mileage 1996 Mitsubishi Pajero 4M40 turbo diesel. It has the tranny and t-case driver side drop. I was wondering if anyone out there had a clue as to what model the tranny is, it's a 5 speed manual? I haven't pulled the t-case from the transmission to check the setup, spline count, etc... I have seen on another forum a guy up in BC swapping a R151 onto his, but I think it would be easier more cost effective to swap the t-case. I have a np205 and np208. Any ideas??

JPSFJ55 said:
I just acquired a low mileage 1996 Mitsubishi Pajero 4M40 turbo diesel. It has the tranny and t-case driver side drop.

Any ideas??

You thought about reversing the housing to be a DS offset, you'd have to notch the other side for the ring gear but I don't see why the drop-out 3rd wouldn't bolt to the other side?

Tucker

You thought about reversing the housing to be a DS offset, you'd have to notch the other side for the ring gear but I don't see why the drop-out 3rd wouldn't bolt to the other side?

Tucker

Yeah I guess I missed that part. I know of a few people in the hardcore section talking about making adapters and ways to connect transfer cases to transmissions they didn't come from. Never read into it myself though.

I have another front axle housing that I have been thinking of mocking up to check fitment and just checking out what would need to be modified. I am a welder/fabricator by trade so I'm not scared to try and swap things around, but would rather just be able to swap t-cases. Plus just not ready to cut and turn a Proffitt's cruisers front axle again, but that might just be the easiest course. Thanks for the help

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom