FJ45LPB scratchbuild... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Finally unpacked my hobby stuff... and got to work on door hinges. Fiddly work forming up small metal and installing very tiny bolts.

241forminghinges.jpg

I use these small bolts to accent/install the hinges. The hex heads are so nice, although not quite JIS.
242tinybolts.jpg

243scale.jpg

First I glue down the hinges in the proper alignment then I drill out the bolt holes.
244drilling.jpg

Then the bolts are glued in. They end up adding to the strength of the hinge as a type of pin.
245bolted.jpg

Last edited:
Since i'm going to end up selling my 45, can I buy this one to replace it? :cool:

Early on, I wanted to become a model builder professionally. Was a commercial illustrator instead but always loved building models. This job you're doing is just simply awesome.

Since i'm going to end up selling my 45, can I buy this one to replace it? :cool:

Early on, I wanted to become a model builder professionally. Was a commercial illustrator instead but always loved building models. This job you're doing is just simply awesome.
What a compliment, thanks!

I do have this Tamiya FJ40 for sale... $250 shipped. For what it's worth... ;)

Love this build as well, only thing I would change is the axles. The early Tamiya Hilux axles are metal and pretty close to oem!!

View attachment 2595032
I completely agree except for two issues... the are a bit too wide for the 1/10th scale dimensions I'm trying to stick to. Also, the original release Hilux axles are ridiculously expensive and rare to come by.

But they are freaking fantastic axles.

Progress to report... I finally dialed in my vacuforming process both in terms of temp and thickness of styrene and spacing of the buck. In slo-mo and please forgive the brief finger-in-frame from my son. Ha!

Progress to report... I finally dialed in my vacuforming process both in terms of temp and thickness of styrene and spacing of the buck. In slo-mo and please forgive the brief finger-in-frame from my son. Ha!

That is very satisfying!

Next step is adding the louvers to the hood, some reinforcement bits, and then making the hinges and setting it on the body. Then on to the roof, which I think I'm going to do differently than vacuform.

i just got flashbacks from whence i was in college and worked at HPI vacuforming bodies and trimming the lexan after. I'm so in awe of your build...great job

Some progress to report...

After vacuuming I'm left with an odd-shaped sheet of plastic.
246vacced.jpg

Cut out rough so I can fine tune things...
247roughcut.jpg

Masked off and trimmed/sanded square...
248squaring.jpg

249squared.jpg

Some reinforcement similar to the real deal. To help it keep shape.
250reinforced.jpg

And hood hinges.
251hoodhinge.jpg

252hinges.jpg

253tubhinges.jpg

A start on the louvers. I'm using strips of quarter-round. Behind each strip, after they are all glued down, I'll cut a slit in the hood. With some sanding/smoothiing I think it's gonna look spot on. I'm literally gluing down 2-3 strips at a time and then clamping them down with a jig to let the glue set. Rinse/repeat. I'm sure there's a smarter way to do it but it hasn't occurred to me yet.
254louverpieces.jpg

255louvers.jpg

The two big fiddly pieces to work out at this point are the roof and the transmission tunnel cover. So I've dived into the tunnel cover.
256tunnel.jpg

Once again, I tip my hat. You're doing a great job. Keep it up.

I've got a project going lightly related to this. Not ready to post yet though.

I just discovered this 10 year old thread. The suspense while reading, will it be finished by the time I end page 5?
NO!
I don't have the patience, eyesight or dexterity to do what you're showing us. Thank you.
Fantastic work, but hurry up!

Thanks for the kind note... and thanks for the kick in the pants. I do need to get a move on.

Reminded me of this 14 year, 76 page thread on a 914. Will he finish the car before you finish the thread?
Sorry for the hijack, stuff like this makes the internet great.

Reminded me of this 14 year, 76 page thread on a 914. Will he finish the car before you finish the thread?
Sorry for the hijack, stuff like this makes the internet great.
Man... that thread could kill waaaaayyy to many hours.

Here's more...

That guy's modeling blows mine away. Serious talent. He has a number of threads on there for other builds...

There has been progress on this... it just doesn't move fast enough right now for weekly updates.

Tunnel is moving along. I made some changes as I went. Need to wrap up the sanding and prime it.
257tunnel.jpg

258change.jpg

259tunnel.jpg

Dismantled the chassis/drivetrain so I could start prepping and painting. The chassis and drivetrain are "done" at this point, so may as well get them painted and assembled a final time.
260chassis.jpg

261dismantled.jpg

Sanded.
262sanding.jpg

263sanded.jpg

Primed. A few blemishes left to sand away, but nearly ready for paint.
264primed.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom