My First Landcruiser Project Journal (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
sitesbyjoe.com
About 5 years ago I was at the Outer Banks in North Carolina when I saw my first FJ60. I instantly fell in love with the vehicle! It was an extremely faded red, all original and rusty as all hell. As junky as it was I was so intrigued by the vehicle I started researching them.

Of course research lead to an even deeper obsession with owning one. Being on the East Coast they were both rare, and typically too rotted to seriously consider purchasing.

5 years later I'm living in Las Vegas and finding a suitable rig became a possibility!

After being here a little over 2 years I finally found what I thought was the right deal. Junky enough I could afford it, yet solid enough that it's worth picking up and hopefully keeping around for many years to come.

I flew up to Ogden, UT to pick her up, crossed my fingers and drove her home - she ran perfect the whole way!

At any rate, I want a place to share my experiences owner and working on this FJ60. It should prove interesting as I know absolutely nothing about repairing and maintaining automobiles in general. I'll keep this thread running to log everything I do to the truck. I've had it for about 3 weeks as I begin to author this so I'll start at the beginning.

The rig is a 1984 FJ60 - it appears to be totally original other than a 2 inch lift, new wheels and a stereo modification.

Pictures or she doesn't exist and welcome to the madness!

Sounds familiar!!! Welcome to the obsession and MUD!
Take a look at my build thread, we have a lot in common.

Congratulations. You said you have no experience maintaining vehicles, but you picked a good one to learn how. These are straight forward. And you should also be able to find other Cruiserheads in you area who are willing to help / advise. Mud is a great resource. Welcome and enjoy!

The PO was nice enough to lend me his Utah license plate so I had a couple days to enjoy the truck around town and test things out on it before the Utah permit ran out. The 4WD seems to work great. The PO also left a couple service manuals, a new OEM air filter, a couple belts etc in the back.

It took a couple weeks for the title to get delivered by mail so it was kept off the road for a bit. I was pretty bummed out, and like a child was spastically checking the mailbox every day - I wanted to drive the FJ so badly!

In the meantime I performed the following on it:
  • I removed the bug shield from the hood - it was obscuring the beauty of the front end, plus theres no bugs in Vegas really.
  • Neither interior light was working, but both were totally intact. I removed the covers and both bulbs looked good but the end were pretty gunked up. I removed them, cleaned the ends and put them back to see. Both started working again!
  • The driver seatbelt wouldn't retract. I found it was pretty easy to get at the retractor. I didn't see a way to actually remove the belt from it though so I just got some soap and water, washed the belt the friction points. IT didn't really fix it but it was slightly better - I figured I'd come back to it.
  • The original shift knob was all scratched up and wasn't readable. I knew where the gears were but wanted things to look clean so I picked on up on ebay.

Inquiring minds want to know,what is that orange switch?. Oh, and good looking pics by the way.congrats :cheers:

At first I thought it had to do with the amplifier - after further investigation it appears it was for extra lights on the front bumper. I see 2 sets of holes on it. Haven't confirmed but this makes sense to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom