FJ45LPB scratchbuild...

Honger

Joel, TLCA #21509
SILVER Star

Okay, okay... I actually have made a little progress.

Got my vacuform buck to a good enough place I wanted to make a sample pull...

A side view... it's not too bad although I've got a few things to learn about getting the pull to lay down properly over the buck.

Rainman

Resurrecting another Land Cruiser
SILVER Star
Um... What happened to this build? I looked on the R/C forum and it's not finished there either. What gives? You left us hangin'.

Last edited:

Honger

Joel, TLCA #21509
SILVER Star

I've shifted direction a bit. I want to get the chassis and drivetrain all together so it's a roller.

Drivetrain back in, front axle loosely fitted... sizing the driveshaft length and getting ready to fix the front servo.

Once I've got the mount complete for the front servo I'll be painting the chassis and axles up.

Honger

Joel, TLCA #21509
SILVER Star

So upon re-assembly I wasn't happy with the plates that secure the u-bolts to the axle. I needed some way to pin the plates to the drilled hole location on the springs. Brainstorming finally netted me the idea.

Drill a hole in the center of the plates...

Braze in a screw from underneath...

Trim the screw to the right height on the other side...

I went ahead and primed them to keep them from rusting. They are prone to quick rust after the heat treatment from brazing.

And they worked exactly as I intended. Centering themselves on the springs. Just like the real thing. Sometimes I overthink this stuff...

The u-bolts need trimming. I think they also need some additional depth threaded on the ends.

And the axle secures so well to the springs now.

A shackle close-up...

And a hanger close-up...

Next is designing the serve mount. Once that's done I can paint all the chassis and running-gear and have a roller!

Top Bottom