FJ45 2H swap: which REAR motor/gearbox mount? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Collecting parts for a 2H (1985) swap into a FJ45.
Looking for the REAR motor/gearbox mount.

I'm keeping the existing 2F 4spd box, so can I use the existing 2F REAR mount too (Insulator, 12371-61020)?
Or I have to go for the 2H specific part (mounted on HJ47/early HJ60, Insulator 12371-68010)?
I can find them both as Toyota new part.

PS. Answers to the FRONT mounting questions for such a diesel swap can be found here, thank you Mudders:

12371-61020.jpg

1237168010-COVER.png

Last edited:
The HJ47 rear transmission cross member is in a slightly different position to the rear FJ45 cross member. I cant remember if its further back, or further fowards.

The HJ47 has different bolt hole positions for the "L" Brackets and different L Brackets, but both the FJ45 and HJ47 are provisioned with bolt sets of holes and captive nuts.

If you don't have access to the HJ47 "L" Brackets you're going to struggle with cross member position.

Tailshaft lengths are different as well.

Although I can find the HJ47 transmission cross member (12371-68010), I'm not sure for the rest. The HJ47 is a rare bird indeed in the old continent...
This is why the FJ45 path seems to me easier, as I have in hand (or can find) almost everything...
So, I would like to ask if I can use the FJ45 transmission cross member (12371-61020) in order to do the job?

Last edited:
The part number's you are quoting are the rubber mounts.. its the steel cross member and brackets to the chassis that will be your challenge. The 2F and 2H rubber mounts are similar (different thickness) and they are the least of your concern.

The part number's you are quoting are the rubber mounts.. its the steel cross member and brackets to the chassis that will be your challenge. The 2F and 2H rubber mounts are similar (different thickness) and they are the least of your concern.
Got it: It seems that I mixed up the words "cross member" and "insulator"... :oops:
However, if it will be impossible to find the HJ47 parts, can I go, for the REAR motor/gear box mount only, the FJ45 path, that is cross member, insulator etc ?

PS. For the FRONT, following your (brilliant) research, I'll look for the early HJ60 mounts.

Got it: It seems that I mixed up the words "cross member" and "insulator"... :oops:
However, if it will be impossible to find the HJ47 parts, can I go, for the REAR motor/gear box mount only, the FJ45 path, that is cross member, insulator etc ?

PS. For the FRONT, following your (brilliant) research, I'll look for the early HJ60 mounts.

It would be possible to make the existing cross member work, but it would probably still need to be moved and you may need to drill holes etc for the bolts - and get nuts inside the chassis rails. I would commence the project and get the engine in and transmission in - then make an assessment of the cross member location and options for hacks to somehow make it work with the bits you have.

I understand that the best would be to find the HJ47 REAR motor/gear box mount parts, is that correct? 🤔
If so, could you please make a list of the needed parts? I would try to find them... 🐪

Last edited:
Ideally the red bits below from an HJ47 are what you need... your actual cross member should be identical (shown in green).. its the brackets that are different.

The bolt holes should be in your chassis in the right place already if your current transmission cross member looks like below.. the early FJ45s only had the transmission mounted at the bell housing.. send some photos of your chassis from underneath.. and look where the "L" Brackets for the transmission cross member are bolted.. there should be another set of 4 bolt holes - these are the HJ47 ones.

1711093667392.png

That's great stuff and explanation, things are getting clear to me.
Thank you mate! 👍

PS. The FJ45 is 1984 vintage

PS. The FJ45 is 1984 vintage

Great... your 84 chassis will have the cross member and the extra bolt holes. It wont be easy to find the HJ47 "L" Brackets.. I am sure the FJ45 stuff could be made to work, it will just be a pain in the bum to drill new holes and line it all up.

The FJ45 "L Brackets" and the HJ47 ones are only a little bit different, they are angled differently. I wish I had good photos of them as references but I dont.

Great... your 84 chassis will have the cross member and the extra bolt holes. It wont be easy to find the HJ47 "L" Brackets.. I am sure the FJ45 stuff could be made to work, it will just be a pain in the bum to drill new holes and line it all up.

The FJ45 "L Brackets" and the HJ47 ones are only a little bit different, they are angled differently. I wish I had good photos of them as references but I dont.
Food for thought!

Great... your 84 chassis will have the cross member and the extra bolt holes. It wont be easy to find the HJ47 "L" Brackets...
I am sure the FJ45 stuff could be made to work, it will just be a pain in the bum to drill new holes and line it all up.

The FJ45 "L Brackets" and the HJ47 ones are only a little bit different, they are angled differently.
I wish I had good photos of them as references but I dont.

Found these two HJ47 brackets (51433-60041 RH and 51434-60051 LH),
do they are the "L" brackets we're looking for (the "red bits" in your pic) ? 🤔

Last edited:
Hi mate have very limited coverage and can’t really tell.. will be in and out of coverage for 10 days or so

Hi mate have very limited coverage and can’t really tell.. will be in and out of coverage for 10 days or so
Hi mate! Are you back?
Hope you've got some good Easter days!

Last edited:
Hi mate! Are you back?
Hope you've got some good Easter days!

These do look to be the correct parts.

Have you had a look at your chassis to also confirm that there's an additional set of bolt holes with captive nuts ready for the brackets to be bolted on?

Have you had a look at your chassis to also confirm that there's an additional set of bolt holes with captive nuts ready for the brackets to be bolted on?
Gday @duncanrm , glad you're back and ...with good news!
Following instructions, took a look at the chassis to check about an additional set of bolt holes and here is the photo shoot:

PS. Shot with my little camera (Sony α6000), in order to have a better quality than the phone.

R1.jpg

R2.jpg

Are these the bolt holes you mean?

No.. the holes I'm referring to are inside the chassis rail... here's an FJ45 chassis (right handside, front of the vehicle is to the left of the pic).. the holes in red are FJ45 mounting points.. HJ47 brackets have been fitted to this chassis and sit about 1.5" further forward than the FJ45 brackets. Your chassis shuold have two sets of four holes each side to accomodate both FJ45 and HJ47 brackets.

1712389195608.png

No.. the holes I'm referring to are inside the chassis rail... here's an FJ45 chassis (right handside, front of the vehicle is to the left of the pic).. the holes in red are FJ45 mounting points.. HJ47 brackets have been fitted to this chassis and sit about 1.5" further forward than the FJ45 brackets. Your chassis shuold have two sets of four holes each side to accomodate both FJ45 and HJ47 brackets.

View attachment 3600020
Just came back from the garage with some pics...
So, here is my FJ45, LHD and the front of the vehicle is to the left of the pic.
Took a first shoot of the cross member: one can see a hole in the middle (red circle).
I understand that I have to remove the (factory) skid plate sitting BEHIND the cross member: a PITA for a non wrencher like me...
Done!
PS. One can observe a good mix of Greek and Arabic sand... 😄

R1.jpg

R2.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom