Fabricated 2H/12HT Engine Mounts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Everyone-

I am in the final stages of getting everything needed for a 2H swap into my 40 series. One of the final pieces of the puzzle was engine mounts. My engine came from a 60 series and without knowing better didn't think much of it, though digging around here should have made that obvious...Nevertheless finding early HJ47 cast mounts seemed almost impossible taking the better part of a year from AUS.

Now having the correct mounts in hand, I have decided to use them as references for making welded/fabbed versions so others doing this swap will have an easier time sourcing the parts they need.

I know there have been previous efforts on here before however the difference here is, I have the mounts, I have taken the measurements, I created the Solidworks files, and I have Laser cut and fabbed the first set for test fitting.

From what I have read here these should work with both the 2H and 12HT conversions though I can't confirm as I am using a 2H for reference.

My question: Is there still interest in these?

My best guess on pricing for a set (LH and RH) based on material prices, laser time, welding time is ~$350 subject to volume/interest

The first prototypes are based on a LH mount with no provisions for mounting the alternator and a RH mount with no provisions for mounting PS. I have a 4 bolt 2H PS pump and bracket which I will use to mock up a PS version down the line.

1677614342344.png

1677614373798.png

1677614404540.png

1677614427150.png

1677614454004.png

From what I have read here these should work with both the 2H and 12HT conversions though I can't confirm as I am using a 2H for reference.

Wow nice work. Any photos of the right hand side mount?

If they work on a 2H, they will 100% work on a 12HT.

Wow nice work. Any photos of the right hand side mount?

If they work on a 2H, they will 100% work on a 12HT.
Yes! working on pulling the dimensions off of my RH cast mount. Its a little more complicated than the LH because the mount face has a compound angle, so I am designed a welding fixture based on the casting to make things easier. Still planning on having the mount be fully tabbed/slotted like the LH side.
1677630611242.png

1677630650295.png

where do I place my order? I have a cast set as well but will take a pair of yours. I finally got my fab guy to give me mine back after waiting on him for two or three years to reproduce.
I need to finalize the RH design and weld up a test mount to verify the dimensions are good. I also need to get a set of HJ47 rubber isolators to make sure they also bolt up no problems.
I would say in the next few weeks I will wrap that up, if there is enough interest for an initial run of ~10 sets then ill pull the trigger and get it going.

You may not be interested in pursuing this avenue, but my interest would lie in mounts for installing a 1HD-T into a 40 series.

Hey Everyone-

I am in the final stages of getting everything needed for a 2H swap into my 40 series. One of the final pieces of the puzzle was engine mounts. My engine came from a 60 series and without knowing better didn't think much of it, though digging around here should have made that obvious...Nevertheless finding early HJ47 cast mounts seemed almost impossible taking the better part of a year from AUS.

Now having the correct mounts in hand, I have decided to use them as references for making welded/fabbed versions so others doing this swap will have an easier time sourcing the parts they need.

I know there have been previous efforts on here before however the difference here is, I have the mounts, I have taken the measurements, I created the Solidworks files, and I have Laser cut and fabbed the first set for test fitting.

My question: Is there still interest in these?

My best guess on pricing for a set (LH and RH) based on material prices, laser time, welding time is ~$350 subject to volume/interest

The first prototypes are based on a LH mount with no provisions for mounting the alternator and a RH mount with no provisions for mounting PS. I have a 4 bolt 2H PS pump and bracket which I will use to mock up a PS version down the line.

View attachment 3260825
View attachment 3260826
View attachment 3260827
View attachment 3260828
View attachment 3260829
Forgive me if I'm missing something:
1) we need FRONT motor mounts (L+R) of the early, pre-1985, HJ60 version.
2) we need the early version 6 bolt pump/bracket, otherwise we have to fabricate (if we wish to have the factory P/S. Have the factory FJ45 P/S and want to keep it).
3) the REAR motor/gearbox mount doesn't change (can I keep my FJ45 mount?).

Great job!

PS. Here can be of great value the contribution of @duncanrm and his page mentioned at your older thread :

Last edited:
Forgive me if I'm missing something:
1) we need FRONT motor mounts (L+R) of the early, pre-1985, HJ60 version.
2) we need the early version 6 bolt pump/bracket, otherwise we have to fabricate (if we wish to have the factory P/S. Have the factory FJ45 P/S and want to keep it).
3) the REAR motor/gearbox mount doesn't change (can I keep my FJ45 mount?).

Great job!

PS. Here can be of great value the contribution of @duncanrm and his page mentioned at your older thread :

1) you would need front mounts from an early (pre-1985) HJ47 (which these are based off of)
2) You are correct
3) Yes, correct

Thanks!

1) you would need front mounts from an early (pre-1985) HJ47 (which these are based off of)
2) You are correct
3) Yes, correct

Thanks!

Just to be clear..

• Pre December 1984 HJ60 ("Early" 60) gives you suitable mounts for a 2H conversion on a 40 series that includes P/S pump mount for a 6 bolt pump.
  • All HJ47 mounts are the same - there is no date distinction and none include P/S Pump mounting options. There were no HJ47s with factory power steering. HJ47 mounts will work for 2H conversions for other 40 series models.
Various photos of 2H mounts can be found here: 2H Engine Mounts HJ60 - https://photos.app.goo.gl/MyJD7mcHAn4dA5Nr7

Last edited:
I am not an interested party. Just a guy who has a manufacturing company building automotive products for 2 decades now.

For a one-off looks great. Good work.

I'd like to offer some constructive criticism. I hope this comes off as helpful, not being harsh.

To make this a product don't TIG weld it. Don't worry so much about tabs and slots of self-aligning. Design a good fixture and MIG weld it with a sound process. Design your weld joints appropriately- Not 100% welded everywhere. Design weld preps into the joints.

Also, you might add a drain hole so water and dirt can fall out the bottom, not build up.

Consider plating or powdercoat. This is important for any product that will sit on your shelf for inventory. Be cautious using zinc plating on a weldment. Chemicals are difficult to flush from joints and weld beads aren't always perfect. The chemicals will leach out in time.

Good luck!

I am not an interested party. Just a guy who has a manufacturing company building automotive products for 2 decades now.

For a one-off looks great. Good work.

I'd like to offer some constructive criticism. I hope this comes off as helpful, not being harsh.

To make this a product don't TIG weld it. Don't worry so much about tabs and slots of self-aligning. Design a good fixture and MIG weld it with a sound process. Design your weld joints appropriately- Not 100% welded everywhere. Design weld preps into the joints.

Also, you might add a drain hole so water and dirt can fall out the bottom, not build up.

Consider plating or powdercoat. This is important for any product that will sit on your shelf for inventory. Be cautious using zinc plating on a weldment. Chemicals are difficult to flush from joints and weld beads aren't always perfect. The chemicals will leach out in time.

Good luck!
All good points, thank you!

any chance that i could get the dimensions of those brackets so i can try making my own?

or if anyone has some for sale?
I'm on this forum. Closer to home for you if you are in Kenya.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom