FJ40 Power Steering Pump Troubleshoot (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FJ40 that green thing

1996 KZJ78 Prado
Threads
Good day, got a stock power steering pump setup on the 82 FJ40 with 2F engine. Replaced the pump with rebuilt unit from Napa (moved the reservoir over), had the steering gearbox rebuilt by a pro and new hoses all recently installed, did the recommended bleed cycle to get the air out of the lines, double checked fluid levels at idle and with engine off and then took it for a short drive. Power steering worked good but did make a low pitched whine, figured that was normal.

Got back from the drive, 60-65 mph for 10 minutes and come back to a mess of power steering fluid under the hood. seems to be coming out of a small valve under the pully shaft on the front of they pump body, looks to be some kind of pressure relief valve there according to parts diagrams. What could cause this to be spewing fluid even at idle and not turning the wheels and does anyone have ideas how to trouble shoot or fix the issue? I feel like I've eliminated all weak spots by replacing every part of the system with new or rebuilt.

Thanks!

I think your issue was using a NAPA pump, OEM is the way to go.

ah, I appreciate it but its a rebuilt unit not an aftermarket unit. Do you have any helpful information about the power steering pump breakdown or how the valve works? Do I just replace or try to fix.

Last edited:
fairly well documented that rebuilds from national stores haven't worked out well for several members. even if it worked at first, within several months it will have issues.

Rebuilt and remanufactured are two different things. Rebuilt just replaced what they think is bad and new seals. Remanufactured replaces most all the internal parts.

Really don't know these pumps but with my HVAC background a pressure relief doesn't dump the fluid outside of a closed system but rather dumps it back to the low pressure side of the pump.

X2 bad pump.

Are new oem pumps still available, sounds like that's the way to go. Napa guarantees them for long as I own it, so I guess I'll keep replacing till hopefully I get a decent one. Too bad it's such a messy chore. Thanks for the tips

40 and 60 series power steering pumps have a non replaceable bushing at the front of the pump. If the bushing wears out they can rebuild the pump seals all they want and it will still leak.

This is where I bought a brand new OEM pump when mine started leaking. They are not cheap but do fit perfectly function as intended. No more leaks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom