Builds Fj40 One Ton Buildup (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok here goes my buildup thread. 1976 FJ40 that I've had for 16 years. My buddies and I were driving this around before I turned 16.

350 Chevy, Edelbrock Air-Gap Intake, 750 Edelbrock, Vortec Heads, 262 Comp Extreme Energy Cam, Aluminum Radiator. This was all bolted up to factory running gear with Advance Adapters kit.

This project includes a Dana 60/14 Bolt. Full width axles out of 79 one ton chevy, single rear wheel.

Rear disc brakes with all new wheel bearings and seals.

New bearings and seals and all new brake parts on front also.

SM465/NP205.

Used 2.5" lift springs with factory springs as the buggy leafs.

39.5" tsl/bogger on 32 bolt beadlocks.

Stripped down to frame/sandblasted and build a jig to roll the frame over. No overhead welding.

So take a look, tell me what you like and don't like.

:cheers:
J.R.
start.jpg
rustframe.jpg
jig.jpg

Last edited:
JRFJ4- said:
So take a look, tell me what you don't like.

Used 2.5" lift springs with factory springs as the buggy leafs.

You asked... buggy leafs... blah. Personally, I would use the stock leafs SOA, use some longer ones in the rear. (I like stock 7-leaf Waggy's)

I'm assuming you're going SOA with those springs, and stretching the wheelbase, right?

Soa

Yes, SOA, moved back axle about 7-8 inches and front about the same. Moved the hangers all the way out to the bumpers.

I know alot of people don't like the buggy leafs, but you can clamp then unlike double shackle/hypershackle/revolvers.

I'm building this up like my buddies HEEP. They buggy leafs flex up good, for little $$$$. If I had the cash I would have done coils at the corners.

I still like the old stick welders.

:cheers:
J.R.
fronthanger.jpg
rear hanger.jpg
rearshackle.jpg

How tall are you planning on making this thing??

Not that tall

It's not as tall as you think. The rear spring hangers look long because I moved the axle back. So those hangers are pretty much the same level as before, in relation to the frame. This will help with spring wrap.

But with 39.5 tires, it's gotta be tall. I'll still have to pretty much cut off the front fenders, and cut a bunch out of the back. I think it's got about 8-9 inches total lift. I took a couple of springs out of the spring packs to make them softer.

Oh, the shackles may not be that long. That's just some 1/4" plate I had lying around. I have 3/8" for the real ones. I'll make them the length I need if the cruiser doesn't sit level.

Here are the lift springs next to the old ones.

J.R.
springs.jpg

I'll be there!!!!!!!!

I am 1 hour North of Birmingham Alabama. Around Snead Crossroads. I will be there October 7th. Getting more cash from the wife may be my only hold-up. How many folks do you think will show?

I got my motor/trans/xfr in last night. I had it in and had to take it back out because of transmission leak.

My wife is dragging me to the beach this weekend, so no working this weekend.

J.R.

Can't post pics. What do I do?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Won't let me post any more pics. What do I need to do?

Screen says exceeds your quota

What do I do?

J.R.

It does not have to be tall to fit 40" tires.

Woody has a standard SO with 39.5's and I have about 22" to the bottom of my frame with 39.5" (linked)

I would not use the 2.5" lift springs if I were you.

JRFJ4- said:
:confused: :confused: :confused:

Won't let me post any more pics. What do I need to do?

Screen says exceeds your quota

What do I do?

J.R.

Purchase a silver star silly....

:rolleyes:

Too late now.

It's too late to change my mind now. My factory springs are cut up.

Alot of folks around here run 4" springs on Heeps, but when they settle they are good to go.

We'll see when I get the body back on. Like I said I took out some leafs, so they are not too tall.

J.R.

from the pics, you outta have enuf extra weight in the frame to help them settle...I know cruiserrg ran OME springs SOA with 35" tires....he was pretty tall tho, and it flexed ok but not great...

From a $$ for $$ standpoint, you may save some by picking up a set of stockers and selling these....you CAN keep them quite low and run large tires, I've got 39.5's on mine, SOA, and 23" to the frame rail bottom.

just add sawzall :D

JRFJ4- said:
I am 1 hour North of Birmingham Alabama. Around Snead Crossroads.

Just curious because I am origonaly from Huntsville.

JRFJ4- said:
I will be there October 7th. How many folks do you think will show?

I would guess there will be around 15 trucks, maybe more.

Leaf Springs/

Can't switch back to cruiser leafs anyway. These 2.5" came off another vehicle. Not gonna tell you what. They are a little big longer.

I poured my crossover arms out of stainless steel and am going to run the WOTR Red Neck Ram. Got some pics to post. Gotta get my silver star first.

On vacation for the rest of the week, so I'll catch everybody Tuesday.

Be careful over the weekend.

:cheers: J.R.

Here is mine on 42's w/ ton axles sprung over on 2.5" front springs, before I parted it out. I ran 39.5 boggers w/ stock springs and very little rubbing after all the sawsall action. I ran 1/2 ton chevy rear springs w/ buggy leafs. It did pretty well.

image.asp

Mine just barely cleared the garage door opening with just spring over and 33's I couldn't imagine going any taller. With the 38.5's I'm hoping letting the air out of the tires will allow me to get it in and out of the garage.

Hi All:

You might consider adding a NP203 GRB in between that SM465 and the NP205, for added gearing flexibility. I believe it addes about ten inches with adaptors to the drivetrain length.

Sounds like it is gonna be quite the rig when you are finished!

Regards,

Alan
Seattle

This project includes a Dana 60/14 Bolt. Full width axles out of 79 one ton chevy, single rear wheel.
What is the point in changing to 1 ton Axles? :confused: My Hilux is a 1 Tonne(1.1 ton) :flamingo:

from a height standpoint, mine on 39.5's is under 7' tall and the cage squeeks under the garage door....don't air up too much tho. Would not fit with a top on tho....

New topic likely Jonathan, but the "Aussie" definition of a 1-ton truck doesn't compare much to the US definition....your "1-ton" axles are still 30-spline aren't they, just full floaters? Around here, 1-ton usually equates to a 35+ spline size axle, larger housings, larger ring-pinion setups, much larger joints, etc....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom