Builds Fj40 One Ton Buildup (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hydraulic Ram Woes

Bought my hydraulic ram from Baileynet.com. It came today, and it's huge.

It's a 2" bore 8" stroke.

I guess I should have went with the 1.5". This think looks like it could be on a backhoe or bulldozer.

I guess I'll have to pay to ship it back.

This is what sucks about doing things on your own. Trial and Error. I couldn't find what everyone had ordered.

J.R.
MVC-005S.JPG

Dude , go to rocklogic site and get just the ram if you want , their whole kit is cheap IMO.....gotta drill and tap box your self via their method ( same as west texas ) or via method laid out in MUD writeup ( link posted on PBB )

Your's sounds like the cruiser i built out here in California, 66 cruzr, dana 70 rear,dana 60 front, detroits with 5:13 gearing, sm465 w np205, 4link in the rear, with old man emu's, springs in the front, chevy 350, holley throttle body, 39.5" IROK's it will crawl or climb over almost everything i aim it at.

JRFJ4- said:
Bought my hydraulic ram from Baileynet.com. It came today, and it's huge.

It's a 2" bore 8" stroke.

I guess I should have went with the 1.5". This think looks like it could be on a backhoe or bulldozer.

I guess I'll have to pay to ship it back.

This is what sucks about doing things on your own. Trial and Error. I couldn't find what everyone had ordered.

J.R.
that is the exact same ram I have for my front 60. Works great.

why do you want to send it back???

Cylinder.

That cylinder was huge. Way bigger than others that I've seen. The AGR and WTOR cylinders are not near as big as that one was. I was just afraid it would be too slow.

That cylider was about $90.00. But I have heard other folks talking about their cylinder being around $50.00 from Bailey. I still haven't found the right one.

I am in a hurry to get this thing going before October, so I think I am just going to do the power steering and come back and add the ram sometime next month.

I got my dom tubing for my steering arms yesterday. Pricey!!!
I got my bearing block for steering shaft yesterday also.

My kingpin spring and bushing kit should be here this week.

Hopefully, I can get my sandblasting done this weekend and get the body back on it.

Pics soon. Just really haven't done anything that shows.

J.R.

Damn that thing is sweet and man do I LOVE PBR. In my fridge 24/7...once I redo my bar I am getting a keggerator and getting a keg of it.....nothin like free flowin ice cold PBR. Awesome lookin cruiser!

Sandblast Pics

Sandblasted body.

Amazing at the difference.

Lots of pics today.

Blasted clean firewall, pics of the floor.

You can see the former blue, green and silver paint.

Not anymore.

J.R.
floor.jpg
marker.jpg
blasted firewall.jpg

pics

Factory Rivet Holes in rear quarters

Primed

Rear quarter cut out for tire.

I know, Purists hate the sawzall.

J.R.
rivetholes.jpg
primed.jpg
rearbody.jpg

Rot in the floor

Sand blasted uncovers lots of things.

Here's a few rust pics. Nasty.
rot.jpg
rot2.jpg
passenger.jpg

More floor rot.

More cutting pics

Pic of nothing in floor.

J.R.
core.jpg
cuttingoutrot.jpg
nothinginfloor.jpg

After I got all the floor out, I welded in one inch angle to build a frame for the new metal.

Did all this on Saturday while it was about 96 outside.

Going back with 14 gauge steel treadplate.

Bring on the comments!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

J.R.
faming2.jpg
frameing.jpg

Led's

Ugly ass trailer lights.

Well at least they are ugly led's!!!!!! I was gonna put them back in the bumper, but decided not to. Actually the wife didn't like them that way. :mad: But it ain't nothing a little welding can't fix.

Oh, here's my ugly ass front trailer lights!!!!!! Don't know where they'll go without front fenders.

I could have put round ones in like a J***. Wonder what everyone would have said then.

:flipoff2:

:cheers:

J.R.
led.jpg

Floor

Here's the pics of the floor as it is now. I ran out of metal, so I will come back and redo the rear fender wells.

Can't beat the improvement. 90 bucks and one days work. Got rid of 30 years of rot.

J.R.
new floor3.jpg
newfloor.jpg
newfloor2.jpg

More pics

Here's a few more pics.

Got my heim joints from Rod End Supply.

Bearing block for steering shaft with yoke.

Motor clearance of the firewall. Moved motor forward 1.5" from where it was before to get more rear driveshaft length.

Ordering parts today. Blue Torch Fab steering arms. Decided not to use the ones I made. Getting seats/seat belts from Jegs.

Still can't decide about roll bar. I may just break down and buy JD2 bender and be done with it. I'm just broke right now.

I was about to order one from MetalTech, but I did some checking on metal.

It will be more expensive to do myself, but I will have the bender and a cage just like I want.

J.R.
heims.jpg
steer yoke.jpg
firewallclearance.jpg

Firewall clearance pic

When I put in my V8 two years ago, I had all kinds of electrical problems. So one night I got home and got a pair of sidecutters out and cut every factory wire in my cruiser out. Started with painless fuse block and went from their.

My new welder sitting on top of my gansta stick welder.

Anyway, start posting your comments. If you look at this let me know something. Any comments appreciated, even these.

:flipoff2: :princess: :doh: :censor: :whoops: :mad:

Give me some feedback.

J.R.
painless.jpg
175.jpg

JRFJ4- said:
Still can't decide about roll bar. I may just break down and buy JD2 bender and be done with it. I'm just broke right now.

I was about to order one from MetalTech, but I did some checking on metal.

It will be more expensive to do myself, but I will have the bender and a cage just like I want.

Call Mark @ Metal Tech he will make you a cage the way you want it. I had him change up the back of mine and it turned out great.
cage3.JPG

Roll Cage

I love the look of his cages, and his prices are reasonable, I just need some more stuff. I will be mounting my seats to the cage. So I will have alot more work around the front.

I've heard he does good work and can do anything you want.

I can get a pretty good deal on tubing, so I may just go ahead and buy the bender. I may try to make a few buddies go in with me.

I want to bend up some sliders, and a front stinger hoop. And probably tie everything together.

J.R.

I'm building my own bender. I got the base done this weekend, just waiting on a few more pieces to arrive to finish it. You can get the plans here: http://www.gottrikes.com/HD_Tubebender.htm

This one was built by a guy on wheelingarizona.com:
bender1.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom