Builds Fj40 One Ton Buildup (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

465/203/205 Doubler

I would like to have the doubler, but the SM465 to NP203 adapter is a little more difficult to find. You can find them but they are more expensive since this combo was rare.

That is something that I can do in the future. I am just trying to get it rolling now. Let me just say that $20-$50 trips to the part store add up in a hurry.

:cheers:

J.R.

FJ40 Lift/Height Questions

Mine will not fit in my shop when I'm done. I have a shed to store it in.

I got a friend with a big shop when I need to do something.

I forgot to mention last week that I will be going with bigger tires in the future. The only reason I went with 39.5" is that was as big as I wanted to go with the 4.10 gears. I got a used set so I wouldn't be out that much when I decided to swap. So the lift will not be too much with the bigger tires.

I want to run 44's eventually. But will have to re-gear when I do. I've got a buddy that may be selling some 42's, but I will have to wait and see.

J.R.

more pics

Here are a few more pics. Finally got my silver star purchased.

Don't you know the neighbors just love me with the Cruiser on the trailer in the front yard.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can see the rear buggy leafs and the rear disc brakes in the one shot.

J.R.
frontspring.jpg
rear buggy.jpg
cruisertrailer.jpg

more pics

Here's a few more pics that get me up to date.

My two Chief Mechanics!!!!

Motor/transmission/transfer in place waiting on crossmember.

Stainless steel crossover steering arms.

J.R.
mechanics.jpg
motortransxfr.jpg
crossover.jpg

i like the buggy spring idea.........

but are those two bolts the only thing holding the springs to your mounting plate?
they look kinda small IMHO.....

Bolts

I thought they were not enough also. But I've got a buddy that thrashes the hell out of his. If they do not work. I will do some kind of modified u-bolts.

That's what most kits use is u-bolts. I could still add those even with the bolts, I'll think about it.

J.R.

more pics

Here's a few more pics.

Picture of my BOGGER engine stand.

Bogger mounted on the Beadlocks.

Started my front differential cover.

:beer:

J.R.
stand.jpg
bogger.jpg
diffguard.jpg

keep the pics coming its looking sweet. i too like the buggy spring idea.

Pics

Here's a few more pics. You can see the boxed rear frame section with the buggy springs. I had to make the rear section of frame square for the buggy's. I'm no photographer, I will try to do better.

A pic of my wore out TSL's. Also the reason I do not get alot of work done.

One more pic of the jig I used to flip the frame over. This was the best thing ever.

Concerning the buggy leafs, lots of folks do not like them because, like a double shackle or hypershackle or revolver shackle, they can unload and decrease traction on hillclimbs.

I will be using beam clamps on the front if this causes a problem. I am going to get a clamp machined for the back.

Clamping these will be just like they were not there. Anyway, I like them and they do flex.

I am almost ready to get back started to work. The hurricanes have kept me kayaking. Keep on with the comments!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

J.R.
rearbox.jpg
jig2.jpg
inspiration.jpg

You have bad taste in Beer :flipoff2:

It varies wildly. I've been drinking Miller Lite Cans, yuck, because bottles get broken.

Miller High Life
Sam Adams
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
Yeungling Black and Tan

I.P.A. and Wildhorse Stout (Microbrew, Big River Chattanooga TN) absolute favorites.

Pabst Blue Ribbon on tap. The Duff, Ocoee TN.

Still like good ole Natural Lite. College beer, I've drank a ton of em.

Wife drinks Keystone Lite in cans, yuck.

J.R.

Yeungling !!!!!! :cheers: :bounce: They don't sell it out here in CA :crybaby:

NICE!

Hows the progress?

I'm in Jasper, Al. you can't be more than an hour or so from me. I'm hoping to cut some trails on my property if you need a place for testing/thrashing that thing :D

I'm in Snead. I'm about an hour north of Birmingham. I have been sorry and haven't been working on the Cruiser. I am getting back started today. My transmission mount is supposed to be here today. And I'm getting my steering box today or tomorrow.

Hopefully, I'll have about a month before the Grey Rock ride to work out any bugs. Jasper ain't too far at all.

J.R.

wow. that's impressive. now im jealous once again. you got one hell of a shop there buddy.

Paint Job. What color

Haven't been doing much work lately.

Just bought a new MIG Welder Lincoln 175. I like it.

Since my body is off and torn all to pieces. I am going to sandblast, replace rusted panels (New Welder) and repaint. What color does everyone think. I'm going to RATTLE CAN paint it. So I can always touch it up.

I repainted it a few years ago with DiMont Acrylic Enamel. Good Paint, expensive, but can't touch it up to make it look right. And I've got some rust spots sneaking back.

So, what color does everyone think. I'm thinking one of the flat Krylon camo colors. Either the green or khaki. But I am keeping the frame orange and the beadlock rings orange.

I'll gets some more pics coming. Hopefully, I'm robbing a car of its steering sector today and will have hydraulic assist photos soon.

:beer:

J.R.

I was planning on going flat kahki, but I painted a test area and didn't like it. I'm going back and forth between flat black and green. I'm leaning towards green with a white grill and wheels. Maybe a shamrock on the hood. :D

I'm running the Miller 175. I love it. Thinking about getting a TIG though.

That thing is going to be bad a$$ when you're done with it, keep the pics coming.
BTW, TIG is awsome once you get the hang of it (the operator has lots of control over their weld), I have a Lincoln 180 and am quite pleased with it (if you've got the $$$$$$$$ the Lincoln 275 is a joy to use). I baught the TIG because that's what I enjoyed using the most, the MIG is for convenience/ease of use.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom