Fj40 Lockers? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 74 Fj40 that I'm do a soa on and fiqured now would be a good time to put gears and lockers in. I was looking at the lunchbox variety. How good do they work and do they hold up? I just want to do it right the first time. Thanks

The longevity of lunchbox lockers depends on the tire size and the strength of the carrier it goes into. Fortunately the cruiser carrier is one of the stronger ones. They seem to hold up well to 35 inch tires and maybe even larger depending on your driving style. No question they work well in preventing wheel slip. Some people don't like how they make noise turning in the parking lot or how they shift the drive torque when you shift gears or accelerate/decelerate. All auto lockers have these problems to some degree.

You might spend the extra doe, but ARB's are the way to go. Hey that rhymed!! The short wheel base eats the tires up, and makes cornering difficult.

If you have the bucks the ARB is the best. For those of us who don't, there are lunch box lockers. I have a welded for the rear and a Lock-right for the front. I've run the lock-right in the rear for years and have had no trouble. Yes it clicks and clunks. It also takes a different driving style but so does most every other mod like lift and tires. You get used to it.

Thanks for the imput guys. I just didn't want to go the cheap route and pay for it later. Thanks, Pete

IMO, lunchboxers are fine up to 35/36" tires...my 38's in the rear did NOT like them. It's now welded, and front holds up fine with the 38's

Check the shim thicknesses during install...that's the critical number. You need a pretty precise distance between the gears to ensure proper operation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom