FJ40 for the road? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My rig is almost like new now with rebuilt 2F motor,new tub and paint. I'm considering using it for my go-to-work vehicle and week-end out-of-town cruises.
How does the 2F with 4:11 gears,4 speed tranny and 31x10.50 B.F.G All-Terrains act on road? Mainly,does the engine rev too high at 65 m.p.h? I got this rig with a blown motor and never had it up to speed yet.

I have an F, not 2F, and 29 inch tires, but I was able to go all day at 70 MPH (actual), in 90 degree+ weather, pulling a 2000 lb trailer. Never exceeded 3500 RPM. No problems whatsoever. I can't imagine you would have trouble with your 2F unless something is wrong.

sup,

i have a 72 fj40 with a 2F, a 3spd, and 31x10.50s.

it runs great at 65mph. the final gearing for the tranny is the same for 3 & 4 speeds, so yours should do fine also.

and with regular topping off of the gas tank, i get a little better than 15 mpg. and that is awesome.

good luck, and remember: all the guys at work will envy you. all the guys at work will want your cruiser. all you have to do is sit back and smile.

jonathan

I've got a 79. drove it back 8 hours from CO when I bought it. No problems went 70 most of the way. I drive it every day. But I don't drive freeway. I don't think it'd be the best commuter if always go at high speeds, but a good looking one.

I used my stock '77 with 31x10.50 BFG MT's as a daily driver for the past few months. I drove sixty miles per day at 60 mph. It can go faster, but the rpm's get a little high. It burned a lot of gas. My only two complaints were the shimmy at 55mph and the rainy afternoons without a hardtop. Other than that, I enjoyed it.

I DD my '74 with an old F 3 spd, 4.11's and 33's super swampers. (Course my average daily drive is 1 mile round trip :D ) Even with a nearly worn out F I can hold 70 on freeway. My only real complaints are all null when you have a hardtop on, it gets loud on the freeway, and the super swampers don't help. With streetable tires, a hard top and hard doors it should be easily bearable, and probably enjoyable. I care more about the noise and getting soaked than anything else. It gets dangerous driving at night in a monsoon with no full top and doors.

No problem at All! Let's go wheeling. What type of tub did you put on? I need to do something w/ mine. It's a rust bucket, everytime I hit a bumb it crumbles away. I think I will tube my rear end!.Have fun.

If you are worried about going too fast then just call me. Your truck: 75-80 all day long.

I've got a '76 FJ 40 with the same gearing, same tires, and a good engine. I use mine mostly for weekend hunting and fishing trips and a second car when my other car's in the shop like it is today.
I don't know how an FJ 55 drives at highway speeds, but mine will cruise along about 62 or so on the highway with no problem. I can floor it and do 70, but the motor seems to be revving pretty high, and the truck starts to shimmy and shake. In town on a freeway it's usually not an issue because there's too much traffic to go much above 60 most of the time anyway. I always wonder if all the people you see driving around in the fancy Mercedes, Porsches, etc. ever really take them out and open 'em up. Usually on road trips I just get behind a truck in the right lane and enjoy the scenery. As I live in Texas, some of the distances can be pretty long, and for me it's more a matter of driver comfort, but I'm working on that.

I have a stock '78 FJ40 and am on the road most of the time. 60 mph is not bad but it is very loud and wanders a bit. I don't have a tach, but at 65, you can't hear the stereo anymore and pretty much have to yell. These definitely aren't highway machines. We call it a street legal tractor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom