FJ40 Exhaust system 1973 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I want to replace the entire exhaust system including the header. Who sells the best system or is it better to go piecemeal.

I just priced it no matter what header you decide on it will be cheaper and better to go to your local muffler shop and have them custom bend it. That way you can keep it up high and out of smash danger.

From past experience i will definatley run mine out behind the back tire for these reasons.

Noise infront of the tire you will listen to it all day with the top off.

Strait out the back you will smell it all day with the top off.

Running it behind the tire will also let you have room to move your muffler back some to keep it from baking your feet.

im in the same spot as allfoden.

whats better the man a fre or the SOR (made by edlebrock) theres about a $50 difference if you don't have their discount and they look like their already coated with something.

who else makes some besides them and JT outfitters

can you feel the HP gain?

I have to move mine from the outside of the frame rail to the inside somehow cause my rockrails and going to connect to my frame rals. I am just going to go to a local muffler shop and having them run a custom exhaust and I am going to run it out the stock location. The only problem I can see is the gas tank. oh well I will post up pics after this summer when I get it done.

who else makes some besides them and JT outfitters

Here is a new, fresh out of the box, 6 into 1 header from JTO..Points of concern.are...The white marks on the header flange to head mounting area are spots that need to be re-welded, due to the fact of lack of completion... then resurfaced, which all of them need anyway because of the unevenness factor that is associated w/ the Try-Mil headers... the white markings around the bolt mounting area indicate where to much meat has been removed... the stock washers aren't large enough to catch the mounting surface.. then comes the need for larger washers.. also the need to grind the intake so the larger washers fit in the proper thickness location on the manifold.. It's a 50/50 chance the collector flange fits well enough to the outlet flange without some straitening, or the use of 2 gaskets to make it reliable.. The black paint last only for 5 seconds after start-up, then bare metal is exposed, rust follows.. as a result... short life...If your looking for a cheap, but labor intensive alternative? THIS is the one...

Go with MAF or $or................
SD801002%20%28Custom%29.JPG

headers

from my experience and what I hear all headers will take some work to get them to fit so be ready for that

Chrome plated Tri-Y headers still in stock at Mark's Off Road.;)

Quality product from Downey. Been selling them, installing them and running them myself for 15 years now without issue.

I second wbb72fj40 on location. AND, if you think you might want to add an aux tank in the future, make sure they bend the tailpipe to clear the corner where the shock tube and left frame rail meet.

:cheers:

are the marks offroad any good? and why don't i see any bolt holes? are they notched out where the bolt whole goes? cuz the JTO posted above is the same way

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom