FJ40 Engine Bay Temps (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have just completed a near 2 year ground up reno on my Aug 1980 FJ40 Soft top, did all work in my shed by myself. Back to original Toyota white 031, removed lpg and removed the emissions control equip (have kept it just in case I feel the desire to put it all back).

I have replaced all seals, gaskets etc on motor/gearbox/transmission, new thermostat but the engine bay seems to be hot after driving around town. The needle on the temp gauge does not go past the first mark. Is this typical for the 2F motor or should I be looking at changing parts ie radiator and water pump?

Not a qualified mechanic/panel beater but enough knowledge to do this reno.

Thanks in advance

IMG_5937.JPG
IMG_5954.JPG
IMG_5757.JPG
IMG_5960.JPG
IMG_5958.JPG

Also in Melbourne. You have done an excellent build. Rarely see a late model soft tops (at least not heavily modified).

My 1978 2F quickly gets to the one third mark and stays there. It has always done this. In late January on a 40 degree C day, after a few hours highway run it crept up to half way in heavy traffic at the end of the freeway. Once we got moving again it fell back. If you are concerned about being too cool, when the thermostat failed I could barely get the needle to raise at all.

The user manual displays a large range of normal temperatures. You will get an idea of where your normal is. Or fit an aftermarket gauge with but lose your original dash look.

On another matter, where do you source the oval air cleaner? Most locally came with the larger barrel style but I have only found Toyota can order the oval ones at about 3 time the price. No aftermarket brands sell them locally (except K&N),

Tim

Hi Tim

Thanks for quick reply. My intent was to bring it as close to stock (except for the emissions control but kept all that stuff boxed away). I will get the digital thermometer out on the weekend and measure radiator inlet outlet and temp probe temperatures and post for references. I think its all good but just keeps me awake thinking it running too hot even though hasn't boiled over...fingers crossed.

The airbox came with the car and the original filter element was installed. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think these types of airboxes came standard with the NSW Emissions setup?

Cheers

Peter

Hi Tim

Thanks for quick reply. My intent was to bring it as close to stock (except for the emissions control but kept all that stuff boxed away). I will get the digital thermometer out on the weekend and measure radiator inlet outlet and temp probe temperatures and post for references. I think its all good but just keeps me awake thinking it running too hot even though hasn't boiled over...fingers crossed.

The airbox came with the car and the original filter element was installed. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think these types of airboxes came standard with the NSW Emissions setup?

Cheers

Peter
Yes - while mine was sold in Bairnsdale ,Victoria it was a Theiss NSW delivery so had the anti-pollution gear on it. Looks like there were no Commonwealth rules then. Some U.S. States had the same set up. If you look at most Australian parts websites (Ryco etc) you will not fine the oval filter. And the Toyota one needs to be ordered in. The local Toyota parts guy was restoring a FJ40 and tried to source aftermarket ones locally but couldn't find any.

Thanks for info I think I was stressing over nothing. Temps running at idle for 10 minutes: Radiator inlet 88 Radiator outlet 35 and block sensor 86 degrees C

Temps after running around town: Radiator inlet 90 Radiator outlet 36 and block sensor 90 degrees C.

cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom