FJ40 color change opinion (collectors also) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First post....but I need to wade in on an 1979 Freeborn Red FJ40 I am refurbing. At this point
I've completely disassembled the body and will be having each individual part blasted to bare
metal and repainted. I would like to take this truck back to close to OEM.

However...big default on OEM goal and the question is this...

Will changing the paint color (to a factory yellow) really be a negative
game changer on a future sale?

The fire wall plate with color code will not match at that point but no visible signs of
paint change other than the plate code would be possible.

I'm planning on keeping this thing for at least 10 years and always wanted the mustard yellow...
but could not find one that met all the criteria (1979+, mechanically sound, no cancer, etc). So
I bought the red one and have been thinking I'd just re-do the thing in red. But of course I'm
second guessing because I see all these nice yellow ones (ebay and such) for 50K+ and
am torn.

I know this is just opinion ... but some opinions might be helpful instead of just thinking in
the dark like I normally do. Thanks and sorry if I've busted any protocol on my first post.

It would for me. Freeborn red is the bomb. Having said that, I'd take any 40 in any color if the price was right.

I would have to say yes, going from Freeborn to a factory yellow would negatively affect future resale value. Now if you went from red to green, tan, blue, etc...probably no effect, but to yellow, I would have to say yes it probably would. I'd definitely keep it red.

Personally if you staying true stock OEM then stay with the color..but if you changing a few bits on it and have always wanted a mustard go for it,its not original at that point. Will you be disappointed in red and had wished you went with your dream color every time you got into it?

Appreciate the feedback. At this point I'm sticking with the freeborn...but am a bit of a ways off as I'm still working on the frame, wiring, suspension....basically everything is in a 1000 parts. Just got my 16" rims (the steelie redux of the 15" rim...same look and clips) from cityracer off to have them powder coated RAL 7036 (grey). So I'm trying to keep it very much looking and running like the original stock vehicle. Some tradeoffs are occurring but I've decided not to tradeoff on color.

Mine was mustard and it was a great color against the black interior, rollbar, etc.

If you are completely taking it apart and repainting everything then go for the mustard. If it’s going to be museum quality paint it red so everything matches and park it in the garage because you won’t be driving it anywhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom