FJ40 Body Stretch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone streched the body of a 40 out to a 43 or custom length.
Ive seen post on using an 80 frame etc, im looking for someone who has either grafted the body before or after the wheel wheels. i want to add about 2ft to mine, also cutting the top as well.

thanks Ryan

Ryan,

I'm in the middle of working on a similar project. Started with a 75 FJ40 and I've got it stripped down to frame now. Just doing some minor repairs to frame before I send it out to get it stretched by a professional fabricator/welder (this guys does a lot of fab for other members in our local group, certified to do roll cages).

I think I'll get the frame cut between the main cab supports and the middle/tranny crossbar. then add 22" or 27" in a stagard joint. Fishplate the outside of the frame and then add a new internal filler plate like the stock frame.

Goind to put an Aqualu body on the frame seeing that they arleady make them in a stretched version and my original tub was shot.

As for the roof and the sides I've got 2 sets to fab into a strecthed version. I got a set of sides from an 82 Fj40 that way I can have rear vent windows. Going to try and keep the window equal size.

The 43 frames are hard to find (at least in my neck of the woods) so I hope my way of doing it will workout fine. Hopefully other members here might have some input on this.

Good luck and leep me posted.
Kevin

This 40 had been stretched.
So you want to do something like that, but also move the rear axle back about 2'??
As far as stretching the frame. Why not extend the frame in the back and move the springs back . You know the frame rails are not parallel ,right?, ( you can't just cut and add)
streched40.jpg

:hillbilly::hillbilly:I didnt say i wanted to move the rear axle back 2 feet, I want to add 2ft to the body. I plan on fliping my rear springs and adding to the rear of the frame and body. I also plan on streching the top also, i want a full top.

( you can't just cut and add) anything is possible with a torch

What Vicm is saying is the frame is wedged shaped. Narrow at the front bumper and wide at the rear bumper.

I have seen more than one person take two FJ40 frames and cut one at the firewall and the other at the rear hump for the axle. When they slide them together to weld them, nothing lines up.

understood completely, :D

D'Animal, had not taught of using a frame from a 60. Need to look into what the wheel base of a 60 is. Might be easier to get a 60 with a shot body and strip it for the frame. This would also eliminate the front axle swap I wanted to do to get disk brakes.

grant, I've been following that one too, but that's a little to much for me.

I personally have some ideas on how I'm going to stretch it knowing the frame rails arn't parallel, but I need to talk to the guy that will be doing the fab/welding on this.

FR3533 keep me posted on what you plan on doing. Maybe we can share our notes.

Heres what a 43 looks like for referrence,I am considerring whether I want to add a top like the previous pic of the blue one ,or cut and cab it like the 47 but include the vent window and fab a rear box.
By the way a 44 and 46 are the same just come with the hard top just as hard to get.
P1010023.jpg

Here's ya a pic of one I stretched few years back...............:p
SD801005%20%28Custom%29.JPG

D'Animal, had not taught of using a frame from a 60. Need to look into what the wheel base of a 60 is. Might be easier to get a 60 with a shot body and strip it for the frame. This would also eliminate the front axle swap I wanted to do to get disk brakes.

grant, I've been following that one too, but that's a little to much for me.

I personally have some ideas on how I'm going to stretch it knowing the frame rails arn't parallel, but I need to talk to the guy that will be doing the fab/welding on this.

FR3533 keep me posted on what you plan on doing. Maybe we can share our notes.

FJ60 wheelbase is 108 inches
FJ55 wheelbase is 106 inches

Perhaps the 55 frame is a better candidate since it was designed with the same narrower track width (around 55 inches) as the 40? The 60 has about 58 inch track width IIRC. Just a thought ...

There was a guy who came to the shop one rainy afternoon to show off his Bj42 stretch into a Bj47.
I didn't have the opportunity to check it out, but it looked very clean.
I was impressed to say the least. The hard top looked very nice as well.

What about a minitruck frame? Or possibly a 4runner. Might get the wheelbase you want? I realize they are probably a little lighter build, but I can't imagine an fj40 body weighs more than a 4runner does it? Axle width is very close. Not sure about frame width.

i had intentions of doing this, and i bought an extra 1/2 tube for the build. I changed my mind when i got a factory soft top. i still have the tube if you are interested. i am located in ky

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom