(FJ40) All ready upgraded headllights need bulb recomendation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wadesters

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.cwcruisers.com
I purchased a 1982 FJ40 that the previous owner all ready upgraded headlights many years ago. The bulbs are: GE 12v 60/55w 504800u H4's. The high beams are bright but low beams are not that bright. Since I already have the upgrade can someone recommend different bulbs. (picture is of bulb that is installed currently). Thank you!
20181211_084724 (1).jpg

I made the change over to LED. The cost has come down quite a bit and the light output is so much better.
I went with the KC Hilites, but there are probably better options out there now.

Which housings do you have?

Hella have been great for 20+ years.

How much voltage do you have making it to the bulbs? Old switches, wiring, and bad aim can make a big difference.

I’ve not found a big difference in bulbs, but getting 14v to the headlights does make a big difference.
Hella euro pattern with any H4 have been enough. They are brighter than most new cars.

Last edited:
X2
For a while I ran 90/100w. I found the low beam only lasted 1 year or less. I then switched to 55/100w. They were slightly better, but didn’t last much longer. Since then I went back to 55/60w.

I’ve even seen 90/130w bulbs... but make sure you have metal and glass housings (unless you want to find yourself in the dark). Plastic will warp and melt if the bulbs are to high wattage. OEM switches also don’t like higher wattage bulbs.

did the po upgrade the wiring also? using a relay will help

Why go to all the trouble of high current halogen bulbs? There is an LED option that is a huge upgrade for not much money. I have done it on all of my vehicles.

https://www.amazon.com/H4-LED-BULB-HEADLIGHT-BULBS/dp/B01INYT898

You can find a ton of options on Ebay if you search "LED replacement for H4" if the size is a problem with the bulb on Amazon. Some will not clear your headlight cup. These are plug and play to the existing three prong plugs.

Except in the case of LED. They draw much less current.

Except in the case of LED. They draw much less current.

Yes and no on that one.

That could get into a complicated discussion on lumens per watt, overall wattage of the lights, (LED lightbars) and other chicken-bone-on-a-string-voodoo-black-majik applications.

Direct replacement LED headlights for our 40s, in most cases there should be no problem.

Heated lenses is a must have in my experience.

Truck-lite

@AlaskanWheeler do you run those Rigid LED lights in your 40?

If so can you give us the lowdown? I'd be interested in some of that heated lens info also. Right now I'm debating on replacing the old school lights with something like those Rigids, or digging a 40" LED bar out of my garage and running it. Or maybe doing both.

@rkymtnflyfisher, I don't run these particular lights, I do have a 40" and a set of rigid fogs that iced up on me last week, had about a 1/4" of ice on the lense. This happened about 40 miles north of Valdez, in a rain/snow weather situation.

Looking closer at the headlights I have they are Hella H4's (had them for many years). The Hella plug is spliced into the wiring from the original plug (see picture). They seem to be plenty bright on high beams but on low beams they are dim.

DSC00134.JPG

DSC00135.JPG

DSC00136.JPG

DSC00138.JPG

20181211_084724 (1).jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom