FJ40/42/45 plus A440F A/T conversion anyone? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Cruiserheads,
I think I joined IH8MUD years ago but, my account might have vanished.

Anyways, I own a 1988 HJ60 Automatic which is ultra-rare and now I am planning to convert either an FJ40 or FJ45 to the automatic gearbox A440F I was able to acquire recently.

Anyone who has done such a conversion already?
Happy to hear your story!

In my opinion the a440f is a weak transmission. Many have had issues with them slipping as they age. Many swap to h55f manual transmission. Your choice, but I would not use it.

Hmm, my HJ60 with overwhelming 107hp and 360'km has had absolutely no issues. Nevertheless I decided to do a complete overhaul on this transmission parallel to the engine.
The J4 A/T conversion will receive the same treatment upfront so, fine for me. Modern ATFs also have a very positive effect on the clutches, reducing slip and wear.

The only slop bucket I ever liked was the Allision 6 speed.

A manual tranny is a good theft deterrent these days.

I'm a huge fan of doing it your way.

Would think long and hard on installing an A440F into a short wheel base 40 series. The H55F leaves a short rear driveshaft. The A440F is even longer. I have a FJ62 with this transmission. It's a slug with the automatic but it's reliable. Think it's funny knocking a transmission that hasn't been installed in the Land Cruiser for over thirty years. Any Automatic transmission that lasted thirty years can't be that weak. Not like it was used in light vehicles. With the 3FE I do manually shift it more on hills than newer Toyota SUVs with more HP and torque.

Yeah, the rear driveshaft will be reduced to a mere 41cm in overall length.
Given the angles, I think a 5cm travel slip yoke would do the job, together with the not-so-much vertical distance between T/C flange and axle / diff.
For me technical feasibility looks like granted for either platform so, I might "just" buy the best offered vehicle for my plan as I see it.

besides driveshaft length, the other issue with long transmissions is floor interference. Might want to investigate that a bit too.

To each his own! (but this is definitely not for me) :)

No one said it would be easy :)
To give you some background, my wife is missing our BJ42 for 15 years now and, as she is partially disabled, cannot depress a clutch pedal anymore.
This plus "I want a pickup" makes me go for such a unique solution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom