FJ100 Frame on FJ80 Chasis (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

E27C5C60-DD8D-42A7-99B2-F6BEA509BEBB.jpeg
9EE405DD-17A8-44B6-9062-13752C60B36E.jpeg

@theside00 Cruiser 😎

Cheers

The sane diagrams are available for 80series.
Body mount positions are slightly different
You're totally right. The 80 is really different from the 105. I would have thought the 80-105 similarity in wheelbase, track width, and axle housings would basically guarantee similar frame. But clearly not. Seems everything mounts further out. Even shock towers!

2020-10-28_00h59_42.png
2020-10-28_00h59_56.png

Last edited:
The 80 and 105 frame and suspension, steering, wheel base, track, running gear etc is essentially the same. The 105 is basically an upgrade on the 80. Configuration is essentially the same.

There is differences due to enhanced engineering, manufacturing efficiency etc.

The 105 body is wider, heavier and stronger. Every panel is different to the 80. Its a completely new body shell

I've had both. The 105 has better NVH, more room internally, better seating, more modern dash design and instrumentation.

105 and 100 series were built with inline 6 diesels and 1fz-fe. 80 series and 105 engines and running gear will be bolt in interchangeable.

100 series maybe less so of you're using a 2uz V8

The 100 series frame was altered to allow for V8 engine, and IFS

A lot of accessories aren't interchangeable due to differences with the frame.

The 80 and 105 frame and suspension, steering, wheel base, track, running gear etc is essentially the same. The 105 is basically an upgrade on the 80. Configuration is essentially the same.

There is differences due to enhanced engineering, manufacturing efficiency etc.

The 105 body is wider, heavier and stronger. Every panel is different to the 80. Its a completely new body shell

I've had both. The 105 has better NVH, more room internally, better seating, more modern dash design and instrumentation.

105 and 100 series were built with inline 6 diesels and 1fz-fe. 80 series and 105 engines and running gear will be bolt in interchangeable.

100 series maybe less so of you're using a 2uz V8

The 100 series frame was altered to allow for V8 engine, and IFS

A lot of accessories aren't interchangeable due to differences with the frame.
In your opinion, was there any aspect (besides engine choice) on the 80 that was superior over the 105?

Last edited:
In your opinion, was there any aspect (besides engine choice) on the 80 that was superior over the 105?

Styling.
And if you're wheeling them, the 80 is slightly more compact, but they both have a phat ass end.
I took my 105 everywhere the 80 went off-road and then some.

There's pluses and minuses for both
The diesel 105 had a light duty manual gearbox r151 which is the same as used in Hilux/ Tacoma in a vehicle that's several hundred kgs heavier, and a larger engines with a lot more torque. It's a known weakness.
80s manual gearbox are big and heavy duty box.
There other things like upgraded steering box to address a weakness in the 80.
Reduced diameter rear drive shaft and smaller uni joints. Presumably cheaper

I'm a big guy, so the 105 is definitely more comfortable with a bit more space in the cab, and larger seats.

So I guess this is thoroughly in the
Anything is possible with a torch, plasma, welder, time and money.
category.

Even if you put new body mounts on the 80 frame, maybe using the 100 frame with spacers as a jig, the frame arches are still too close together to fit up into the 100 body's wheelwells (In the rear specifically), which means you would also have to widen the 80 frame, which leads to the rear axle not fitting up with spring perches and control arms.

At that point I'd say its "give it up and wait 3 years" time, even if you got the wrecked 80 and the fubared 100 for free.

So I guess this is thoroughly in the

category.

Even if you put new body mounts on the 80 frame, maybe using the 100 frame with spacers as a jig, the frame arches are still too close together to fit up into the 100 body's wheelwells (In the rear specifically), which means you would also have to widen the 80 frame, which leads to the rear axle not fitting up with spring perches and control arms.

At that point I'd say its "give it up and wait 3 years" time, even if you got the wrecked 80 and the fubared 100 for free.
I have been following this thread because I am thinking body swapping a us spec 100 series onto a 3x locked 80, then putting the 2uz in as well. I'm having trouble understanding "the frame arches are too close together to fit up into the 100 body's wheelwells in the rear." Can you explain this to me? Maybe with pictures or a drawing? It seems like the body swap would be so much easier than a solid axle swap, but maybe this is something major I have not thought about.

What are frame arches? Do they actually fit up into the rear wheel wells? Thanks for you help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom