FJ100 Frame on FJ80 Chasis (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hi Everyone,
Have any info in How to Fit a 100 series Frame into a 80 series Chasis?
Frame and chassis are the same thing.

Body
Chassis (frame)
Engine
Drive train

YES!

Toyota made a vehicle like that from the factory - called the 105 series. Yes, it can be done, good luck and post pics along they way!

From the internets:

"There are two distinct versions of the 100-series, the 100 and the 105. The two versions look very similar, but there are significant differences under the bodywork. Despite these differences and official model names, both the 100 and 105 are collectively known as the 100 series.

The 105 carried over the majority of its chassis and powertrain from the 80-series with coil suspended solid axles front and rear, and straight-6 petrol and diesel engines. These models were only sold in African, Australian, Russian, and South American markets."

I wonder how different the actual body mount locations are between 100/105 if at all. It may be a bolt up deal?

Sort of, but not quite that straight forward.

To which part, what do you mean? It looks like the FZJ105 frame is arranged about the same as a FZJ80, but the 105 body mount locations are slightly wider. Is this what you are talking about?

Last edited:
I wonder what the drag coefficients are for the 80 and 100 series.

I bet there would be a lot of sheetmetal work (bulging it out into the passenger compartment and doing something with the displaced dash components) to get the longer 1FZ-FE to fit into the V8's engine bay.

I wonder what the drag coefficients are for the 80 and 100 series.

I bet there would be a lot of sheetmetal work (bulging it out into the passenger compartment and doing something with the displaced dash components) to get the longer 1FZ-FE to fit into the V8's engine bay.
There are 100 series trucks with inline 6 engines. 1fz included.

But that's the 105 series according to the guys above. Might have different firewall and dash components to make that work.

Edit: looking at australiancar.reviews you are probably right:
They 100 series which did not have the 1FZ-FE option, did have the 1HD-FTE option which is as long as the 1FZ I assume.

1603820784447.png

Also, the 100 series has a 2850mm wheelbase just like our FZJ80s. I'm shocked but it is gaining credibility that this is possible. I would bet on the body mounts being different though.

Also remember the 105 series and 80 series steering boxes are nearly identical too. (Or at least identical enough that you can put a 105 sector shaft in an 80 box). So steering will probably line up.

Last edited:
So I guess the checklist so far:
Engine fits: check
Steering shaft lines up: check
AC lines: check (assuming the hoses are long enough to reach, but both pumps are same location on engine and have same flange/manifold layout for the lines to bolt up)

100 series Radiator/AC condenser mount (front clip in general): no clue
Body mounts: No clue but possible
Gas tank: no clue
Brake booster: kinda check, a dohc V8 is wider than even our 1FZ intake manifold.

Dash/gauges/computer: 100 series gauge cluster and 80 series gauge cluster look similar (the same 6 gauges, who knows how it is electrically). Odometer computer is internal to the gauge cluster, so that is probably fine. Both are an a343f and HF2AV so it shouldn't be too hard to make speedo/odo work by putting a 100 series VSS in the 80 HF2AV.
It's likely you're gonna need a wiring loom and computers from a 1FZ 105 series and rebuild the whole dash with the new harness to make everything work properly though.
1603825868904.png
1603826008527.png

What would you get? Heated seats, more modern interior/everything is just newer, less wind noise/better NVH overall, basically a 100 series but with solid axles and less hp. (Unless you add a wit's end turbo kit). Rear AC is nice in hot weather though, especially if you actually use your full seating capacity and have people back there.
You aren't getting a bigger 3rd row though:
1603825625676.png

IMO it would be a waste of a savable 100 series (if the only thing wrong with it is the engine/trans/axles or whatever), and not worth the effort vs just having a 100 series and an 80 series.

Maybe if you rolled your 80 series, had a mechanically FUBARed 100 series, AND had a 3rd vehicle/wheeling rig/fun toy to use in the meantime. That's the only situation where this would be a reasonable endeavor IMO. And I would half expect it to turn into a pile of parts at the end.

But that's the 105 series according to the guys above. Might have different firewall and dash components to make that work.

Edit: looking at australiancar.reviews you are probably right:
They 100 series which did not have the 1FZ-FE option, did have the 1HD-FTE option which is as long as the 1FZ I assume.

View attachment 2478566

Also, the 100 series has a 2850mm wheelbase just like our FZJ80s. I'm shocked but it is gaining credibility that this is possible. I would bet on the body mounts being different though.

Also remember the 105 series and 80 series steering boxes are nearly identical too. (Or at least identical enough that you can put a 105 sector shaft in an 80 box). So steering will probably line up.

The 100 surely did come with a 1FZ-FE. Just not in Australia.

Someone here did a solid axle swap to a 100 series using 80 series parts.

It was very involved.

Search "solid axle swap" to find it

Then I guess the 1FZFE fitting is 100% confirmed.

Body mounts might be a mostly check from looking at pictures of frames.

The ones behind the front axle look the same. On the 80 the frame narrows in behind the front axle but the mounts stick out to compensate.
Looks like the 100 series front body mounts are farther forwards, and maybe farther apart (which aligns with the 80 being 189.80 inches long and the 100 being 192.50), But everything behind the front axle looks identical.
1603831497008.png
1603831543664.png

Mechanically, I think it would be pretty easy if those 8 rear mounts actually match. Welding in new front mounts is easy and it would already be properly aligned to the frame, and have the important bits (shifter, steering, etc) line up properly. (100 series shifter setup looks very similar to ours).
1603834220800.png

The 100's radiator hangs down low and is wider than the 80 series though, the section of frame from the 100 series needs to be put on.
So maybe a foot of the 80's frame gets chopped off, put the body on with 10 inches of 100 series frame+front cross member+body mounts bolted to it, and then use plates to make a box section that joins the 100 frame to the 80 frame. The 80 steering box is mounted right next to the coil spring so that's not an issue.
1603834919191.png

That basically just leaves gas tank uncertainty. The 80 frame is narrower than the 100 for the front half, so the 100 tank may not fit, but the 80 tank might be too tall or something and may not line up with the 100's fuel filler neck. At the same time, the rear part of the frame IS as wide as the 100, so maybe the 100 tank will fit.

Electrically speaking, with all the creature comforts in the 100 series, I think it would be difficult. I'd imagine there's a few computers in the cab for all that stuff, and they probably interface with the ECU using a CAN bus to light up the CEL when something goes wrong. The 80 ECU won't support that, and if those computers won't act without specific signals from the ECU, then you'll lose modern amenities like automatic front and rear climate control, a seat that saves your and your spouse's position presets, etc. Hopefully they could just be left alone to act independently but I wouldn't bet on it.

So honestly at this point, IF you have a rolled over 80 that still has a straight frame and the drivetrain is all still good, and IF you have a mechanically FUBARed 100 series somehow, and IF you are retired at a youthful age with a 2 car shop at least and are looking for a project, I'd say send it. Just don't expect to get all the creature comforts of the 100 without spending a lot of money shipping computers and harnesses from overseas to get them working.

Anything is possible with a torch, plasma, welder, time and money.

Is it a direct fit, no.
So yes.

I repeat:

Anything is possible with a torch, plasma, welder, time and money.

Is it a direct fit, no.

Will a 1969 Chevy cab and bed fit on a 1960 K1500 frame? Yes. With enough torch, plasma, welder, time and not a lot of money. Same concept.

Someone here did a solid axle swap to a 100 series using 80 series parts.

It was very involved.

Search "solid axle swap" to find it

Not ideal because of the difference in frame arch under the front axle.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom