FJ-UTE - home stretch, teaser pics, and naming thoughts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wow! Really? That’s not the response I was expecting. I thought for sure I would get a NFW (No Foreseeable Way) reply. ;)

well, not the aluminium tub/body, but the rear swing out - the driver side that holds the tire and the hi-lift, a nice flatspot on the 90-degree tire carrier is calling out for antenna mounting flange.

need something shorter than a firestick tho, starting that high and going up another 5' would have me close to 10' i think. Also need to figure out how to get wiring up to the front, so still things to thing about, but yes, antennae on exterior steel i'm ready for. making holes in body (ie: snorkel) nope.

They may open and close but anyone who has owned a forty would agrue if they “work”

actually used them the other morning to/from inspection, actually cooled my legs plenty (granted it was 40 degrees out), glad they're there.

fixed the winch yesterday/last night (new warn motor), need hardware for the fairlead, then will put the line on the spool. doing 4 sided cams for a 3D view (top down). this thing is so high and the stock 'period correct' mirrors so small that i feel blind compared to my car/my wife's car. doing an ipad via BT for the 3D top down 4 sided cam views. that won't be finished by next wednesday but will feel better backing up anywhere near kids when its done.

"TOTAL $4,676.00 USD each (as of Feb 15th, 2019) "

damn, if someone had the skills and space and time, that would be a bargain.
I have a chassis and motor...

yup, i can come on down and you check out one way to do it to get ideas.

Over my waiting years, I watched a lot of icon4x4 videos on youtube. Their quality seems very high, i like the engine/transercase/trans choices. With a 40 donor, explains why they go dana 44/60 and fox coilovers vs. keeping the 40 suspension on such a bigger truck.

They do claim to start with a donor 40 frame and extend the frame 'rails' presumably backwards. this does result in a different body bottom, and shape of the interior floor - it appears flatter vs. the more up-swoosh of the 80 frame rails and resulting floor profile (esp under 2nd row seats) - all this to say, if you're doing this on an 80, with the 80 specific bodies in that link, looking at an 80 based truck vs. a 40 based truck will help.

FWIW, i paid close to $15k for the body - including redline's margin, obviously delivered to CS. they had plenty of work on it after, polishing it and making it production/paint ready, so it will take labor once it shows up, but the cost basis above starts at 66% less than mine, so you're off to a great start for a great bargain.

in the immortal words of Arnold Schwarzenegger: "do it now, now!"

So the kick vent did work today ;)

5DE1BB3C-BD57-4C2D-8C45-8E32974FB2C1.jpeg

Allen Edmonds?

PS- Awesome kick vent

damn, good eye.

i've had crap shoes my whole life. about 7 yrs ago, i turned 40 and said eff it, guess i'm finally an adult and bought 4 pairs. haven't looked back, have a few more of their boots and casual shoes now, polish my own shoes, the whole shabang.

Really?

You polish your Crocs?

damn, good eye.

i've had crap shoes my whole life. about 7 yrs ago, i turned 40 and said eff it, guess i'm finally an adult and bought 4 pairs. haven't looked back, have a few more of their boots and casual shoes now, polish my own shoes, the whole shabang.
Redwing boots are THE MOST COMFORTABLE shoes/boots I've ever worn... I wear them to work regularly.

Redwing boots are THE MOST COMFORTABLE shoes/boots I've ever worn... I wear them to work regularly.

Yep. I love my Iron Rangers. They don't quite cut it most of the week, but they see the office on Fridays. Allen Edmonds are probably my next shoe after these Cole Haan brogues give in. They've been resoled twice but are coming to the end of an honorable life.

i couldn't let shoe-talk be the final post(s) on this thread. drove it into DC today since i knew i had surface parking access for my visit, no garages for a 7' 8" truck. I'm glad to report i had no trouble merging into traffic circles, people just parted and moved (since it's so tall i assume).

i still chuckle at the jeep guys waving.

ute in dc.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom