Builds FJ Shorty (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I told my fabricator that I had 14" King Shocks and he said I would be able to get approximately 30" of articulation with those shocks and the 4 link suspension. I asked him what that meant and he sent me these pics. That is his personal rock crawler with the same setup. I guess that says it all...

FB_IMG_1652033507113_28393816552812.JPG
FB_IMG_1652033509952_28393734942708.JPG
FB_IMG_1652033512555_28393648978489.JPG
Screenshot_20220301-232446_Maps_28257815346249.JPG

I told my fabricator that I had 14" King Shocks and he said I would be able to get approximately 30" of articulation with those shocks and the 4 link suspension. I asked him what that meant and he sent me these pics. That is his personal rock crawler with the same setup. I guess that says it all...

View attachment 3035930View attachment 3035931View attachment 3035932View attachment 3035933
Note to self: never volunteer to follow Brian…or his fabricator!😱

Super clean motor mounts. Your fab guy design those and wanna sell another set?

I noticed that too.😉
Mark, I know you were interested in how he is going to accommodate the aux fuel tank with the four link. We mocked it up and it fits as long as the rear axle does not move back. I am stretching the frame of this one and moving the axle back, so I will be modifying the aux fuel tank with a notch to allow the pumpkin to move up freely without concern. On my other build, we are going to keep it stock and run the same four link and it should work 🤞

1. Build the truck to work for its intended purpose. 2. Supply fuel as a secondary concern.

Joining Pirate 4x4 in 2003 really opened my eyes on some of the ‘compromises’ inherent in the FJ40 design. Having almost fipped backwards on several occasions (two involving staring at the sky while hanging from the end of a winch cable!😱) shortening the rear overhang/extended wheelbase was a no-brainer.

I was always impressed with @dhondagod’s 4-link solution that included a custom in-cab fuel cell. This improved the COG as well by taking the weight and moving it forward of the tipping pivot of the rear axle while keeping the classic body lines.

Now that my rock crawling days are over, the standard aux tank fits my needs just fine for, shall I say it, overlanding (god I hate what that word has come to mean!)

Super clean motor mounts. Your fab guy design those and wanna sell another set?
Looks like he modified a set he had, but he said he could fabricate them better than the ones he used. I will have him come up with a plan and price. Are you looking for LS mounts?

yep.. LS into a 40 this fall/winter. Thank you. Something has to be better than the Advance stuff i've had sitting here not wanting to use..

yep.. LS into a 40 this fall/winter. Thank you. Something has to be better than the Advance stuff i've had sitting here not wanting to use..
Yeah, he typically tries to fins something he thinks will work but always ends up making his own since he is rarely happy with anything he can buy, Typical fabricator, but great to have one of these guys on your side. He doesn't seem to compromise much.

Not all fabricator are equal. You certainly seem to have found a good one.

Make sure he finishes your rig before the world finds him!

Notice I don’t give out his name?

A neighbour has an excellent fabricator he uses. I’ve seen that he does great work. However, I either have to fabricate it myself, win the lottery, or get a much better paying job. Unfortunately, I’m having to work on it myself as the other things haven’t happened.

It’s inspiring to see what a professional fabricator can do. Unfortunately, at least for now, the best I can do is study their work for inspiration.

The neighbours solid axle radius arm conversion was roughly $6000. In his case, likely 2-3x more than the value of his older Exploder.

Last edited:
A neighbour has an excellent fabricator he uses. I’ve seen that he does great work. However, I either have to fabricate it myself, win the lottery, or get a much better paying job. Unfortunately, I’m having to work on it myself as the other things haven’t happened.

It’s inspiring to see what a professional fabricator can do. Unfortunately, at least for now, the best I can do is study their work for inspiration.

The neighbours solid axle radius arm conversion was roughly $6000. In his case, likely 2-3x more than the value of his older Exploder.
I feel the same about Don @fc187. His work inspires me. However, inspiration is not enough. I refer to the disconnect as ballet brains/two step toes, a spontaneous analogy I made 30 years ago while touring cross country on a road bike with half a dozen friends.

You may have thought through this already. A friend had those engine mount style with the rod through the bushing. A lot of pressure is on a thin bolt surface area at the bottom. It shreds the bushing with time. Flatter more even pressure distribution is better.

You may have thought through this already. A friend had those engine mount style with the rod through the bushing. A lot of pressure is on a thin bolt surface area at the bottom. It shreds the bushing with time. Flatter more even pressure distribution is better.
Good to know. I will run this by him.

Purchased the 5 speed shift plate instructions, media blasted the door and painted, made new cable, and had the foam from somewhere else, can't remember where. I use a white grease pen for the lettering.
Like the Plate Install!! I would have thought you would have removed the masking after installing but seeing where your at with the build I can understand leaving the masking on to protect the plate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom