fj 62 timing gears (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Me and a buddy were in the process of fixing a leak in the front of the rig, we narrowed it down to timing cover gasket there are 2 gaskets one is behind the timing gears, while doing an inspection of gears i noticed 2 cracks 180* from each other starting at the center hole extending about 3/4" of an inch. In doing some research i found that the big gear is a fibrous (not sure spelling) and the smaller gear is metal. Big gear gooes to cam i assume and small to crank. My question is this?

Does any one know how to remove those gears is there a trick to remove them and were is the best place to get a new set?

I'd hate to do that job in chassis...pretty much have to drop the pan, remove the valve cover and rockers, push rods and lifters. remove the side cover, the front cover and pull the cam, then either pull the crank gear or let the crank hang on lowered main caps to get the rear plate off. Haven't tried to find one, but have you tried Beno? if it's still available from toyota, he's your best bet, otherwise, I want to say that melling or another reputable aftermarket parts supplier has a metal version of the cam gear...don't mix up where the bolts go...use sealer on the bottom 2 big bolts, and don't change the depth of the oil squirter...

The machine shop that rebuilt my 3FE ordered a set of gears from Cdan (just across the street) this February, so I know they were available then.

You can remove the timing plate with the crank in place to replace the gasket behind the plate. Also make sure that the oiler has not been screwed in too far and is pushing the plate from the block. This little detail is often the source of the leak behind a timing plate. If you decide to replace the small gear on the crank I think you will have to pull the crank.

You'll need to pull the cam to replace the timing gear. As Lambcrusher stated, remove rocker arm assembly, side cover, push rods, lifters, etc. Add to that the radiator has to come out and maybe the AC condensor. Then the engine has to be slightly lifted for the cam to clear the lower valance.

In replacing the 3FE cam gear use a 2F cam gear instead which is solid metal.

This is the reason Toyota chose to go with a resin camshaft timing gear in the 3FE instead of metal like in the 2F.
Not a choice I would have made, but then again, I wasn't invited to all the project meetings...

image.jpeg

You can remove the timing plate with the crank in place to replace the gasket behind the plate. Also make sure that the oiler has not been screwed in too far and is pushing the plate from the block. This little detail is often the source of the leak behind a timing plate. If you decide to replace the small gear on the crank I think you will have to pull the crank.

You'll need to pull the cam to replace the timing gear. As Lambcrusher stated, remove rocker arm assembly, side cover, push rods, lifters, etc. Add to that the radiator has to come out and maybe the AC condensor. Then the engine has to be slightly lifted for the cam to clear the lower valance.

In replacing the 3FE cam gear use a 2F cam gear instead which is solid metal.

are u sure the cam needs to come out to replace the gear on the cam

this gives you the opportunity to get rid of all those pesky leaks, and have a look at the insides. Are you certain the rear plate is leaking? you could just drive it and top it off if it isn't leaking too badly...and if you're gunna tackle this, it might not be a bad idea to pull the motor. Of course, the notion becomes easier each time you do it, so I'm never too far from "yank the motor..." YMMV/// GL!

Are 2F and 3FE cam gears interchangeable? If so I think I found one of my next immediate mods, it may be heavier can you can always take away metal :)

Are 2F and 3FE cam gears interchangeable? If so I think I found one of my next immediate mods, it may be heavier can you can always take away metal :)
yeah pretty sure you can but I dont want any surprises down the road i pulled off of this for a week im going to start taking stuff apart real soon ill keep y'all posted

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom