1986 FJ 62 "Thump" Sound (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Recently acquired an 86 FJ62 that underwent a complete frame off restoration in 2019...only about 1000 miles since. A couple of days ago, I began to hear a "thump" sound coming from rear when turning, mainly at low speeds. Had trusted mechanic take a look at the local Toyo dealer and he was unable to locate an obvious culprit. Any ideas/direction is appreciated.

Sometimes the leaves in the spring pack can shift while turning slow and make a clunk sound.
This may not be your issue (but also may).
To rule out shifting leaves making that sound, spray the spring packs with a jet of water to fully saturate them then drive it as you would that would normally cause a clunk.

If it’s the springs, something will change. Either it’ll clunk sooner & louder (until they dry out) or maybe less.
Spraying water on the spring packs won’t hurt them.
The water won’t fix the problem, if that’s what’s going on, but will help you rule it out.

Thank you. I will give it a shot (of water). Appreciate it. Will let you know.
Sometimes the leaves in the spring pack can shift while turning slow and make a clunk sound.
This may not be your issue (but also may).
To rule out shifting leaves making that sound, spray the spring packs with a jet of water to fully saturate them then drive it as you would that would normally cause a clunk.

If it’s the springs, something will change. Either it’ll clunk sooner & louder (until they dry out) or maybe less.
Spraying water on the spring packs won’t hurt them.
The water won’t fix the problem, if that’s what’s going on, but will help you rule it out.

Typically OME springs will clunk on the front.

Sometimes greasing in between the springs helps too.

I have the exact same thump/clunk when I accelerate through a turn from a stop. I have OME heavy/heavy and in my case it's an indicator that I'm due to grease the shackles and springs themselves.

62 series should have a rear sway bar, have all the bushings been checked?

Any chance there's an Aussie Locker?

I appreciate all of the input/insight. The "clunk" sounds consistent with what has been described with OME springs. I will grease the fittings and see if it addresses it. Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom