FJ-60 New OEM Windshield gasket not fitting? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I didn't see anything in past threads, so enlisting some help here.

I bought 2 Toyota OEM front windshield gaskets (part # 56121-90A05) for 2 of my 60s, ordered windshields, the windshield guys showed up today and could not get the new gasket to fit. They say they've installed many FJ-60 windshields without issue and quoted shops I know, and have never seen this. Their diagnosis is that the new gasket is not seating deep enough on/into the metal lip and won't let the windshield go low enough to get the top to seat. I watched and worked with them, and sure enough there is a "couple 16ths" gap at the bottom where the old gasket seated, and the new one sits above it.

They didn't even attempt the second 60 after spending 3 hours on one, that now sits in my shop without a windshield until we figure this out. My thoughts are the cold weather (about 40 here in southern utah today) could be an issue, even though I had both gaskets indoors for days in 70 degree temps just to keep them pliable. We put a steel ruler into each gasket channel (old vs new) where each seats over the metal lip and the old gasket was about 1/32 or so deeper all the way around. I would think that would "push and seat" on the lip of the windshield frame, but apparently not.

My options are:

One, they sand each windshield down in height a bit to make em fit.
Two, I abandon my OEM gaskets and see if the Precision self locking/non locking trim may work.

I do not have the option of taking the 60s somewhere else. These guys come to me due to my remote location.

Has anyone encountered similar difficulties or heard of such with the OEM gasket not working for windshield replacement?

The fact that you could buy anything made of rubber from Toyota for your 30+ year old cruisrf is astonishing. Guaranteed that whoever made that gasket (for Toyota) wasn't the original company making them 30+ years ago - that's why it doesn't fit right.

Very True. Both of the OEM gaskets I purchased were made by "SUNPHA" but we know that holds true for OEM parts in terms of the suppliers. Sanding each windshield down certainly sounds like a viable option, but I just dont want it to go the other way and end up causing a leak.

Yikes I was about to order a new OEM gasket for my windshield and take it to the Land Cruiser Shop in Idaho to have it done. Wonder if they might know some different tricks to get it to seat right (and not friggen leak like my current one does).

Update on this in case it helps anyone in the future. It was the windshields. They weren't made correctly. They were the "right" part, but it was a manufacturing "thing"....We ended up swapping to the company that used to be PPG and they fit perfectly in each of my 2 60s finally........

@cruiser-john

What's the part # (if you have it) of the aftermarket gasket for peeps in the future.

Cheers.

Last edited:
The after market for all FJ 60 / 62 is FW425 GTN (Foriegn Windshield 425 Green Tint No Shade)
After market gasket without chrome lock strip is WBL F425 (Windshield Black, Precision Brand)
PPG is replaced by PGW

Hi, Make sure you get a warranty for delamination and clouding up. Mike

The after market for all FJ 60 / 62 is FW425 GTN (Foriegn Windshield 425 Green Tint No Shade)
After market gasket without chrome lock strip is WBL F425 (Windshield Black, Precision Brand)
PPG is replaced by PGW
Someone's gotta add this to the FAQ.

I've shared it several times. Not sure why it hasn't been.

I'll also repeat that both Glass and Rubber and adhesives and sealants can be ordered from:

KOOL KATZ AUTO GLASS - https://koolkatzautoglass.com/

Great folks to do business with. Excellent shipping.

They can also get the rear glass with and w/o defroster. Also green tint.

@Rigger .. Can this be FAQ'd, please?

I just came across this thread. I have an OEM gasket and chrome lock strip ready to go for my windshield replacement. Should I be worried? I don't see any manufacturer name on the plastic bag or on the gasket itself. Just standard Toyota part sticker on the plastic bag and another sticker with Japanese handwriting on it (Google translated it to "Weather Strip").

Hi, Make sure installer cleans windshield and metal areas well and wears gloves. Toyota manual has instructions on this on page Bo-24-Bo-27.

I think where people make the mistakes is in the cleaning of the gasket itself ,yes it’s new but it’s dirty at least as far as chemical adhesion. Toyota also recommends priming with toluene.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom