FJ 40 Steering Column missing bushing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1979 that is missing the dust busing causing some play in the steering wheel. I found on this forum, but can't find now, where someone had taken a early 1980s urethane suspension bushing, drilled it out a bit cut the side and slid it over the shaft into the hole to fix the problem. Has anyone else tried that and did it work? Also any idea what size to make the hole in the bushing so there the shaft goes through without a lot of rubbing? Or is there another way to fix it? Is the OEM part still available? Thank you for your help.

fj40 steering.jpg

That would be a temporary fix and not likely to work very well.

Your steering shaft has been modified. You should have a bearing in the end of the column.

Call @cruiseroutfit Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters and see if they have what you need

That would be a temporary fix and not likely to work very well.

Your steering shaft has been modified. You should have a bearing in the end of the column.

Call @cruiseroutfit Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters and see if they have what you needI

I figured that a bearing would be the best but I like to have trail fixes in the wings just in case something happens as well. Thanks for your input. I will call Kurt.

Here's a thread with good discussion about it.

I’m running a wheel barrel bearing in that cup and the steering wheel has little to no play. You’ll have to remove the ujoint and pull the column out of the lower cup. Then you can slide a bearing on to the shaft and insert into the cup. I can’t remember if the fit was tight enough or I had to tack it in place.

I’m not positive, but I think I got this fix from either @lcwizard or @cruiseroutfit. The bearing can be found at any hardware store.

I figured that a bearing would be the best but I like to have trail fixes in the wings just in case something happens as well. Thanks for your input. I will call Kurt.

You can still get oem column seal 45292-60011 for like 17 bucks.
Thank you. I recall seeing that somewhere. It looks like it's split and slides over the shaft. I'm assuming the cup has to come off along with the steering column or does it go in from the outside? I bought this 5 years ago and this has been the first thing that I have had to do to it other than tires and oil changes. Thanks again for your input.

If the U joint yoke can be removed from the shaft, you'll be removing the column from the inside. If the yoke can't be removed its a little more work. The bushing or bearing can't be installed from the engine compartment.

If the U joint yoke can be removed from the shaft, you'll be removing the column from the inside. If the yoke can't be removed its a little more work. The bushing or bearing can't be installed from the engine compartment.
Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom