Fixing intake manifold threads(F-Engine) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Reedo311

SILVER Star
Threads
So I'm in the middle of a restoration on my '72 FJ40. I'm trying to finish up the engine and noticed that the intake manifold is stripped for the 2 bolts that mate the exhaust to the intake. I was thinking it would be best to use some sort of thread insert instead of just drilling and tapping a bigger hole (specially since it's aluminum and soft)

I've found two options:

1) HeliCoil: good but i'd have to purchase the installation tools aswell ($50).

2) E-Z Lok: Should work and less expensive because they don't require any special tools ($10). My concern with this one is that is uses a thread sealant like locktite to keep it in place. Since it's next to the exhaust it could see some high heat.

Do you guys think the E-Z Lok is OK for this application or would you go HeliCoil?

HeliCoil
helicoil.jpg

E-Z Lok
MetalInsertsHero.jpg

I would look for a machine shop to get some timeserts installed. they are better than helicoils, since they arent spiral, but the mechanically lock into place with the setting tool. much better than both the options.

I just finished the same exact deal on my F manifold and the local machinist insisted on timeserts... He let me do the work so he only charged me a few bucks for the actual inserts...

Just my $.02

insert repair

I just did ours and i bought the time kit. It looks much better to me than the other options out there. With my kit it came with the longer insert. I bought the other two sizes and ended up using the middle one. be very carefull not to drill too deep or you will break out into the inside of the intake.

With the counter bore the instructions tell you to go as far as the tool will allow but DO NOT you can go to deep. I went a tad deeper than I wanted but It still will work.
Same with the tap, do not force it back it out as you tap the hole to clean the chips out. I made more of a bottom tap out of it once I had good threads most of the way in the hole.
Ken:beer:
time inserts 002.jpg
time inserts 004.jpg
time inserts 006.jpg

I have a 2F head in which all the manifold threads have been HeliCoiled and there has never been an issue with them not holding the bolt torque. They were installed by one of the better machine shops here in Tucson.

Hey Guys,
Thanks for the tips the Time-Serts sound/look pretty good. The kit is expensive though...$76.50. I'll check with my machine shop to see if they can do.

Fallon do you know the length of the one you ended up using?

Time sert P/N 10121
14 mm = to .550 inches / carbon steel

I bought mine from Thread Kits Co. They have a web-site
Torrance, CA
800-372-4477
I think mine cost about $65.00 but I was able to pick it up so there was no shipping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom