Rust around carb base and air intake manifold rail (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

I'm about to rebuild my original carb in my 1980 and I've got a lot of rust going on around the base and along the block/manifold. Any ideas on what could cause this type of corrosion and how to avoid that in the future?

My air intake manifold rail had 3 out of the 5 fittings completely seized so I just had to cut it out. I'm on the hunt for a replacement now.

I'm on a mission to clean up this engine bay piece by piece without removing the engine. I'm going to tackle the area around the carb and manifold and wondering what others have done to help revitalize with this kind of grease, rust and corrosion.

I made a video and posted to youtube for a local shop here in Seattle that I may need to lean on when this gets above my pay grade. Kinda describes where I'm at with this project:

Thanks for your input.

Corin

Screen Shot 2023-09-26 at 6.06.18 PM.png

Dissimilar metals can cause issues; electrolysis. I have seen carburetor studs nearly rusted away on the shanks while the part in the nuts looked fine. Loctite or anti-seize compound can help. Overcharging the battery can cause acid fumes under the hood.

Dissimilar metals can cause issues; electrolysis. I have seen carburetor studs nearly rusted away on the shanks while the part in the nuts looked fine. Loctite or anti-seize compound can help. Overcharging the battery can cause acid fumes under the hood.
Hmm acid fumes. That's interesting. Thank you.

These vehicles are old and prone to rust unless they lived their entire life in the desert. The quality of metal back then is not what it is today. Another big factor is where the vehicle spent the majority of its life. Any exposure to salted roads or ocean coastal climates and you’re going to get rust.

If those photos of the carb are without you doing any cleaning that actually looks decent. Here is a photo of the carb off my 79 for comparison, I wish I started with yours.

IMG_6959.jpeg

IMG_6960.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom