Fixing holes left after roof rack removal? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CharlieS

GOLD Star
Threads
I pulled a roof rack off my new to me '94, and in the process found that it was screwed on - not nutserts and bolts, but regular screws.

I put tape over the holes temporarily until I decide what to do with them.

Are there good solutions to closing up the holes to avoid leaks?

Worst case, I'll drop the headliner and just weld them up. Headliner removal seems like a lot of hassle just to close off holes. I guess I'll research headliner removal next...

IMG_9161.jpeg
IMG_9158.jpeg

Last edited:
A cheap easy way is to:
  • Treat the rust with Rust Bullet or POR15.
  • Fill holes with JB Weld
  • Paint the color of your choice
Once you have time to drop the headliner you can easily grind out the JB Weld.

mine has "sealing" washers and a nut/bolt to seal it up...pretty cheap solution too..

Those ribs aren't factory either. What the heck happened here?

Those ribs aren't factory either. What the heck happened here?
Not sure, I bought it for the minimal rust, and lockers. :) The body is a wreck all around. Luckily it is going to be a trail rig so it doesn't need to be pretty.

The stock threads in an 80 are an M5 thread, and most that I see just get some short bolts and sealing washers from the hardware store. I know wit's end sells a kit for this also.

I have seen regular coarse thread screws on some 60 series racks also... though usually that's a 3rd gen 4Runner thing. To resolve odd-shaped random holes, the fast method is to drill them out to accept a riv nut, then install a riv nut into the new hole, followed by the snort bolt and sealing washer- will be as if it were a factory hole. This also works on 80 series where the weld nut comes free inside the roof, and the only way to get the old rack off is to slide a sawzall in there and cut the bolt. Then there's a big hole in the roof, so out comes the riv nut tool.

Put a little sealant on the bolt/washer when installing, should be able to forget all about it afterwards.

mine has "sealing" washers and a nut/bolt to seal it up...pretty cheap solution too..
Would still need to get to the underside to put the nut on...

Old school bow and glue setup.
1683303728867.png

Last edited:
If you don't weld them over, I'd suggest 3M 4200 sealant with your fastener of choice - that's what sailboats use both above and below the waterline - and it withstands harsh conditions for an extremely long time. Use 5200 if you never want the fasteners to come out again.

I plugged my roof rack holes with JB stick and then Monstaliner’d the entire truck 7 years ago. It’s pretty much unnoticeable and there have been zero problems. A couple bucks and maybe an hour spent.

Just FYI, this isn't a stock rack with nutserts.

I really like the plug and monstaline idea!

Just FYI, this isn't a stock rack with nutserts.

I really like the plug and monstaline idea!
JB Stick will work nonetheless. Monstaliner white and go wheeling.

Last edited:
I just did this on my 94 ;)
AJFCJaXhh4GReEcV6xWKD_zsbSn1C6jOxyxhSIa0j5sE9nGkRjqnMhE9JyL5UNheF6EW2f_pKFXPw-QVRSPO4s55XHXsLUAJhda80dQApnPs6-sOksqOj_foFGfFxiRtFGFsfOlNgzOqk5bUz8bwMlt_rUNsWiauoch9chxTJXM_ChHfuXpPdNIY0RQHPP69xZuxisxa62sBc7XxieBfMHSRImRzQSrPdUt_L_1QG9aS5aE-X_wQ62Q3p2dMqQlvLnfRWYKT3N9kRGdweh4vjSdNRtD-Hw2CZSt16kXXEvu4tkzCC9_tsR8EjMSmJ9YYDb7Fi9imlCYgNZOHV1_lXPln0NtHxIW4lkH-u0xkuq1HEI1FOc8JHegaCMZvrhjNy_5YMmEjETh4AAG-W41-KR2zkZQ8R1fQc0aeDctZH8fYpjBFKMoDImgkUQaDP57xrf4hfeqD1_fWl-sT0Zs_3aTfwFJAqsDWSfzA1-vZR8c577AFijrVvlnhe5N_bQcJkUx7eqGNE5KO0qOz3Xz7q_GZfliV9YJ-wo_RXLKeTptk2InLKrq9XzuIQ5tjd6MsNWIqxKxdfpU4zJAlQ1qeYmwlNAMZqGcdxQxdNcscTrWleSzvCraUnVDqGMiNbTzJjhPIEiDR-GJPOaekU9iObODDAIPxKsX4jOkyxp3DsxFaunsB5-0ee8QTMi7XzZl_cGiGBMSSGawxvNw0ZZO10nuiW2RF3ep7YitFIVNFVlEqaYjxOyZTp1ApxmZ6KDQEwkXgFHMm6K34C3gwO8UqGT_gytiLOmTeUXMj2lt0WosmU3NWmcJtvn-neJXJVTim_cK9FfJa-lllAYi0tucAYOBSoqXTvXsJvztkGSkhXk7cz7VWtlwERoxY1osAEbWMxLSb0bbwk5B34uWOrrwM8sTG5LzPvdE=w1252-h939-s-no

Cleaned and sanded then using a small cold chisel I made 4 little notches in each hole creating a small dimple. Then I filled the holes with Bondo Glass reinforced filler and sanded flush. Then Monstaliner I think it came out great
AJFCJaWkcJqxsxkbO37orOZo3digLc5hERfRs1rQMn6H1BPy87fLaGO7f3xgfHMjKKtq1XXjuQbh7hdlUEc8x7qMYVswk-O9afe8XavyYBZKR3zdQTWy6VJdvX9t9klqNIQEYQlr1PAJYK47vBn-zNQeezTIkZ_Eca9vu5CkJ2ml1LPqHT8Zf2YMIdv92YQhXw3pXRc-ZdyTenuFl5P7-GvozG729zVcNwrBMeA-9iBNIoPxtj5tkiEFKZB6hxOHoRgXMHtk8U-LFDNGEaQNUVtMlMKfV1rnhYBP7x8ewX_9CtnlSoG95xP6JYjEfikXRo0IGM8JFbPRiY8qiRuFBu2bCxZidqY_R3bKOYO4Esyu1jAZ0-87U5wYY7DpF7oYm0ED0ebdoU9VUvGKRp4zd7YhTbM-X6_5zaTWVOQDe7iv3TO8RmVZfI29Jx_ck12v43fsi6L_PWrwWTiwhYXFe3fzqY5T8jDbKifDGXLe_JHn9BdvjnPJ9Mmf7dHHMUCj3dqO60bh_e0u_QixPpj-WOfXNdPlLdG1PRUYF1q7kFxemf7GRxLdFql06eRrSYNpkBaz8D-JGWJtejEJqJO2nwmPqFKcE6t6NgSjip9CG8I1kP2gU0vYDoLBZluu82ZQR_b753iQuOU5Vf8HTpf3p9jhx3SkL8vm15QJ5gKg_XloB-UgTdwP9aNmULJaEkrXlcnyY1Xq1OOdS9TbVZ54UzjlZ_B-0zdk2Y6LxSu6BhQYAvQxsejOtGgBxnKH2jMfVWtRtWWM0FEb8khQhn3HwdNMSv9w_6-l-QolF0VxwyMnYG1sF4--U1j9HW_i5K4V1HogW_SLu7315IUvORpa5fqviN2SxY4b5akEdHmj-3vWkxhH-gcaYEABk6IUgxlQQXOpWEAN-Ud6M3Dh_XazocdZX0TLfd8=w1252-h939-s-no

Did this when I removed my fender flares 8 years ago and not one of then has come out or lose !

If you can avoid it you don’t wanna pull the headliner on a 94

I used solder to close the holes left from the roof rack removal, sanded flat then painted.
My main concern with welding or soldering is that it burns the paint off the inside and if not addressed is a place for rust to start.

It is a great solution for people that have a factory rack with nutserts. Unfortunately, mine was screwed on with sheet metal screws.

My bad. Must've missed that info. It's not gonna be cheapest solution but I learned from mistakes made on my Jeep, cleanup and paint for longest lasting results.

It is a great solution for people that have a factory rack with nutserts. Unfortunately, mine was screwed on with sheet metal screws.

I have rivnuts so I plugged with stainless bolts + washers + o-rings. But since you have the “custom” roof rack install, my vote is for JB Stick and a vial of touch-up paint.

Paint won’t exactly match since the roof paint is “aged” but you won’t see the roof close enough anyway unless you rollover 🙃

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom