Fitting Full Fat 35x12.5 on an LX (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

you are the current king of the 35's!
View attachment 2480617

Thank you kind sir but I think you're on a taller tire. My Toyo AT3s spec out to be 34.5" x 12.5"

Actually @grinchy might be king on his Kenda's that spec over 35" ( EDIT 275/80R18 @ 35.25" x 9" ) , by trading more width for height.

Long live the king.

My Toyo AT3s spec out to be 34.5" x 12.5"

are you going off your own measurements? If so, my weighted width is 34.5 as well. I can check again in a few since i have them off the rig...

Nope. I usually go off the manufacturer spec as there's a prescribed methodology for the industry to measure tires.

you are the current king of the 35's!
View attachment 2480617
Thank you kind sir but I think you're on a taller tire. My Toyo AT3s spec out to be 34.5" x 12.5"

Actually @grinchy might be king on his Kenda's that spec over 35" ( EDIT 275/80R18 @ 35.25" x 9" ) , by trading more width for height.

Long live the king.
are you going off your own measurements? If so, my weighted width is 34.5 as well. I can check again in a few since i have them off the rig...
IIRC the 275/80r18 tires measure 34.75" weighted (height, vertical).
So I might be in the running for 'highest pumpkin' award, and I'll happily thank my mom and supporting cast for the 'largest sidewall for an 18" tire nominally 35" in diameter' category. But since the 35x12.5s and 305s are so much wider, I definitely wouldn't want to lay any kind of claim to largest tire.

Screen Shot 2020-10-29 at 11.32.07 AM.png

Vise grip and bend method seemed to work a little better than BFH for me.

sealed up the sandwich with some rtv...

147DFE29-70AE-4330-8F4B-D87EC7FD660C.jpeg

Up shot:

852903E6-E368-417C-BBDA-68163AF9A81F.jpeg

DB3701D9-32ED-4773-8A47-3D5CDF7DDC70.jpeg

@TeCKis300 were you able to notice any difference in handling or steering between using the different size spacers?

I didn't drive with the 1.25" spacers so I can't say.

Back of the napkin math tells me for a 34.5" diameter tire, optimal offset based on the kingpin inclination angle should ~36mm. With a 1" spacer, I'm effectively at that A 1.25" spacer would put me at 28mm offset. Both close enough to stock geometry that it shouldn't produce much different feel or handling.

Optimal offset is based on overall tire diameter. The further one deviates from good geometry, the more impact it may have. A 33" tire for example wants about a 48mm offset. Running a 1.25" spacer on that setup may have more undesirable symptoms.

What's the best direction to fold the pinch weld? In the "Nor Cal Mods" video I saw they fold it to the inside but you guys are folding it to the outside.

Hey @TeCKis300 i thought you might find this interesting:

The host asserts that the narrow voids on the RG make it more if a highway tire compared to the Toyo. Anxious to see more long term reviews of the Toyo. They look promising so far.

What's the best direction to fold the pinch weld? In the "Nor Cal Mods" video I saw they fold it to the inside but you guys are folding it to the outside.

i went towards the steps (away from the body mount). In the images above, you can see that there's a bit more room this way.

@supercarrera Same with radman. I folded towards the outside as this opens up the most clearance for me. Folding outward didn't require folding it flat. Folding inward would be about where the tire turns into that pinch weld and would need to be folded more aggressively.

This may depend on your wheel offset. For lower offsets, (+25 or lower), may need to consider where it needs the most clearance to decide which way to fold it.

Hey @TeCKis300 i thought you might find this interesting:

The host asserts that the narrow voids on the RG make it more if a highway tire compared to the Toyo. Anxious to see more long term reviews of the Toyo. They look promising so far.

It's an interesting take and I personally file this under loose opinion and commentary. Take my comments with a grain of salt too as I don't have first hand experience with the RGs but have done some good research.

RG are marketed as a hybrid tire crossing into the space between an AT and MT tire. As such, it's a more off-road focused tire with incrementally better mud capability than even the most aggressive AT tires, including AT3s which IMO is closer to the medium/aggressive end of the AT tire spectrum. ATs being less specilized at any one thing with greater bandwidth of capabilities everywhere else.

I have heard great things about RGs good on-road noise qualities which is pretty awesome for a hybrid tire.

The Toyo AT3s are proving to be a great tire for me after a good weather towing/off-road/desert/sand trip this past weekend. Maybe a touch nosier than the Falken AT3Ws at 30-50mph, but quieter at higher speed 60-80mph. Very direct and solid on-road feel and control. Smoooth NVH performance. Off-road, I'm having a hard time comparing the Falkens to the Toyos as my tire size is considerably larger now. 35s roll over everything and do a great job of smoothing things out. Running 20psi in sand feels like 14psi on 33s.

35s roll over everything and do a great job of smoothing things out
Yep. Between the minor but somewhat meaningful 'natural' clearance increase and the ease of rolling on/off things really makes for uneventful trips.

From my last wheeling trip in the desert, I've found that on full squish that the top of the front tire will just contact the upper fender well liner. This is part of the reason why I worked to keep the 1" spacer (+35mm effective offset), rather than switch to the 1.25" spacer (+ 28mm offset) as I expected the clearance upwards and against the fender to be tight.

Easy fix. Pulled the 3x push clips securing the liner to the fender. Orient the liner fully above the fender tab. Gently fold the fender metal tabs by hand tighter against the fender (don't bother putting any clips back). Heat gun to rework the areas with rub marks.

1605845093472.png

@TeCKis300 how is the clearance with the rear tires?

I haven't found any witness marks at the rear yet. I do recall others mentioning the potential for rub, so I'm keeping an eye on it.

One area in the rear fenderwell mentioned before was an interior anchor bolt that protrudes into the well. I may cut the extra threads off to minimize any potential just in case.

What better way to relieve the week's work stress than to go into the garage and zip some metal off. Quick operation with an angle grinder and some touch up paint. Took off about a 1/4" of threads that protruded into the wheel well. At least if the tire were to contact now, it won't get its treads ripped up. Thanks for asking @supercarrera

1605913315097.png

Hey @TeCKis300 - This has probably been in other threads but where did you get the 1" spacers? I am only familiar with the Spidertrax 1.25" option being a quality set. I am looking for a set now so any suggestions you have would be great.

Hey @TeCKis300 - This has probably been in other threads but where did you get the 1" spacers? I am only familiar with the Spidertrax 1.25" option being a quality set. I am looking for a set now so any suggestions you have would be great.

I’m sure TeC will respond but my shallower spacers & adapters have all come from these guys and are the Bora brand...

As I mentioned in the "What did you do with your 200 this week" thread, I'm trying to fit Kenda Klever R/T 35x12.50r17s. I thought I would follow up here since this is a dedicated fitment thread. I think I have enough clearance everywhere except for front fender at full stuff as @TeCKis300 predicted. I actually have 1 or 2mm clearance when the tires are pointed straight ahead but if I try to turn the wheel at full stuff it will be bad news:

PXL_20201218_195807882.jpg

The slightest of clearance:

PXL_20201218_200102570.jpg

Contact!

PXL_20201218_200238201.jpg

PXL_20201218_200418869.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom