First, very bad noises. Then, no power... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Greg,

Does the input shaft of the t-case go all the way through, or is it like a 420 where you just lock the 10 spline input gear on to the stubby output shaft of the trans?
Mark,
No idea. This is the doubler I bought from Morgan about 15 years ago. The one he had in his Pig on the first Pigrun on the Rubicon. The one where he broke his pinion just before Little Sluice. I bought it as a unit and never had it apart. Li'l John may know, I heard he had a hand in putting it together...

I had similar symptoms when I grenaded the clutch gear between the high and low side of the transfer case. Mine made a horrible grinding racket under any sort of power but had enough teeth to keep the truck moving. That said, once I shifted it into "low" I could never get it back into high again because of the sheared teeth. Maybe yours has so few teeth left you can shift back and forth but it slips under power? Totally grasping at straws...

Sorry, my mistake. 203 between the 465 and the LC transfer case...

I knew what you meant. ;) The question remains. Pull the side PTO cover off the case and take a peek in there.

Last edited:
The question remains. Pull the side PTO cover off the case and take a peak in there.

Patience, Mark. It's taking a little while just to get to it...
20200423_131119.jpg

L/C transfer case is off, Couldn't find a socket that fit the nut on the output shaft, had to take 4 bus rides to find a 1 1/4" socket. That shaft is a little worn, but not busted.

20200423_153307 (1).jpg

20200425_135507.jpg

20200425_135439.jpg

That’s not bad wear at all! I’ve seen worse 😜.

E547F055-3D4D-4A93-9396-BAFB63F3FE6D.jpeg

So nothing amiss inside the transfer case?

That’s not bad wear at all! I’ve seen worse 😜.

View attachment 2285901

So nothing amiss inside the transfer case?

Good. LC transfer case looks and works fine to my only slightly experienced eye. 203 still stuck to the 465, gotta figure out how to get that off today...

20200426_091137.jpg

20200426_091130.jpg

Opportunity for a refresh 👍

Pulled the clutch disc out moments ago. I was expecting (hoping) it would come out in pieces and all my questions would be answered. But no. Actually, the disc material looks pretty good for 14ish years old. There is a light dusting of silver dust around the inside lip of the flywheel. I am no expert on exactly how a clutch is put together, but I'm thinking that this one is no longer usable. It looks like the inner thingamabob has been spinning inside the outer whatsitcalled and not doing it's job as a cohesive unit. I see shiny metal in there if I look real close.
Second opinions anyone?

20200430_181727.jpg

20200430_181730.jpg

20200430_183003.jpg

I'm thinking the knubs should be longer and located between the springs

could you place the disc in a vice and use a pipewrench on the hub and spin it?

Cool. Clutch disc failure. Easy fix.

could you place the disc in a vice and use a pipewrench on the hub and spin it?

Yup, did just that at work today. Except used a vice-grip. Center spun around with almost no resistance. Think i found the problem.

Cool. Clutch disc failure. Easy fix.
Nope. An easy fix would be if it had just been a transfer case in neutral and all I had to do was move a stick...
But, of all the parts that could have failed in my driveline, this might be one of the cheapest to fix.

Probably aftermarket, I can't find an Aisin stamp on it...

now to remember how it all goes back together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom