cluster lights have no power after disconnecting amp meter sbc (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I searched and didn't find any posts regarding the issue I'm having.

1976 fj all stock except sbc swap.
I disconnected my amp meter and wired the white blue wires together bypassing the meter as I am running a 140 amp alt

the gauge cluster gets power from the harness plug, my fuel gauge works as it is the only one I am using on the panel.
the issue is that I have no power on the board to the lights and the high beam indicator. all other lights on the truck work.

Does the board receive power for lighting from the amp meter? OR should it be grounded?

I believe the cluster is grounded by the housing and the screws that hold it to the dash. Im pretty sure the ammeter wire connections have nothing to do with power or ground to the rest of the cluster. Have you checked the fuse. Be sure the ammeter wire connection is well insulated.

I believe the cluster is grounded by the housing and the screws that hold it to the dash. Im pretty sure the ammeter wire connections have nothing to do with power or ground to the rest of the cluster. Have you checked the fuse. Be sure the ammeter wire connection is well insulated.
Thanks for the reply,

The ammeter connection is connected well and double heat shrunk.
all fuses are new and fuse block has been scuffed for good connections.
I will check the ground of the face plate to the body, I did clear coat the face of the cluster,
I will test with a wire and scuff the area of the screw indent.

It would help to know what year cluster you are dealing with. Older clusters do not have a printed circuit board and may act differently from newer clusters.

says 76' , to answer some of your question, the ampmeter passes main power thru & I get that you bypassed it. I would not think anything piggybacked power from there as it wouldnt be fused exceot the fuseable link if you have one.
Possible your clear coat is preventing the light bodies from grounding ? IIRC they are 1 wire ?

Good points.
The clear is only on the metal outer fascia.
Yes the ammeter is bypassed fully.
The gauge receives power for all other functions except powering the area of the circuit board that powers the bulbs.
Fuel gauge registers
3-4-8-9 are definitely functional as the turn signals work.

Not sure which wire powers the lighting section of the board?
IMG_5037.png

Do you have interior courtesy lights? The headlight switch knob controls interior light brightness.

One thing to check is the board on the cluster. It can get damaged if the battery is connected when pulling it in or out. You might see a burned leg like this one.

IMG_20240311_182704.jpg

I figured it out. was pretty simple. one light socket didn't make a good connection and interrupted the circuit.
I had cleaned the whole board and scuffed the connections with 1000 grit and de oxit but i missed a tab. thanks for the help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom