First time buyer - too much rust? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all!

Like the title states not sure is this is too much rust or not. It’s a 2007 Lx470 with a ton of miles however it has everything I want - except the corrosion.
I’m sure this question can be answered in many ways, especially regarding future ‘plans’ or what anyone would plan a primary use of a vehicle to be but I guess what I’m really trying to ask - is this typical for these vehicles? I’ve only looked at two locally (Atlanta GA area) and both show signs of corrosion on frame and suspension.
Any thoughts? Walk away?
Thanks.

B83E234C-F6E7-47F9-B5E7-52795ED6C126.jpeg

C4E78C03-2D82-4470-B7F6-F83B0559B12B.jpeg

ADAB3198-5699-4120-8A0C-7CB1CB2EE081.jpeg

3BFF7A77-BBEC-4DFE-B169-1DC9904FF7C5.jpeg

0FEB0E2A-E7A5-4828-8981-C7061355B6C6.jpeg

NON ISSUE!!! If the body is perfect which I suspect it is then I don't see anything scary. It is not a beauty queen but certainly not anything to keep from buying it. If you are handy you can mitigate most of that laying under it with a wire brush attachment on a power drill then prime it with rust preventative paint. That tank cover can be replaced at the dealership if you are really picky.

I have one that looks like that with 70k miles on it. I cleaned it up and it looks great. I also have a 74k mile 2005 with zero rust and it is so clean I could not believe it. Both run and drive fine.

Check for rust in the rear quarter panels under the plastic bumper. That is a spot that rusts the body and is never seen. Also check where the front fenders bolt to the body/frame. It really looks ok for a high mile vehicle. My guess is that it was a 3 year lease up north from new, then sold at auction to a southern dealer who then sold it to someone down south so the rust started up there but kind of slowed down in the better southern climate.

If you plan on wrenching on that suspension it may be a little more work but nothing most shops can't handle.

Buy it right and use the rust as a negotiation factor.

Thanks for the responses.
The rear axle is ridiculously corroded though. Not exactly everywhere else on the underside, but most places the ‘metal’ flakes right off with a flick of a finger.
I want to pull the trigger….but I’m going to keep looking for other examples, preferably a private seller as this vehicle (and most) are auctioned from the north and sold to dealers in the south. I will however use this for leverage in getting a lower price. I’ve been lurking for about a solid 45 days so far between LX and GX 470s and so far this is the best example of perfection I’ve seen so far.
Thanks again everyone.

Everything is relative. Here in Texas, that's a lot. Not the worst I have ever seen, but, I'm too picky to deal with that.

It's not awful but it's way too much rust for a GA truck, IMO.
Yeah I agree doesn't look like a southern LC From Atlanta. But still not bad really. If it's a good deal $ wise I would take it.

That's fine, but you'll need a new steering rack & swap the AHC for a conventional suspension (a bit too much rust to repair it probably)

Thanks for everyone’s input.
I decided to get a 2011 GX and I’m super happy with the decision AND I got it cheaper than all of the 1st gen LX/GXs that I’ve been looking at for purchase (for about 6 weeks now…). I didn’t originally consider this generation however, I found a 1owner example at a local Lexus dealership and considering the mileage on this thing, the manager was able to swing my way with a price drop of 5k.
I walked out the door paying FAR less for this, than I was originally planning to spend for the older generation platforms that I've been drooling over.
(Everything from milk, treated wood, to used cars - these prices are getting ridiculously high).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom