Advise on LX470 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’ve recently started looking into the 100 series as I’ve found a cheap LX470 in my area. I own a JZ swapped drift car so I’m pretty mechanically inclined, but those are simple, and so I have dove into learning about the AHC and whatnot. I’d be using the LX to tow a small trailer with a lawn mower mostly, and possibly my drift car. Looking into the history of this LX on Lexus drivers it hasn’t been updated in over a decade which is obviously not great, but if the car checks out in person (basic measure and check of the AHC) how bad is it to work on? Currently have a GMT800 Denali that it will be replacing. The Denali has a bunch of small electrical gremlins that aren’t worth chasing down, and I wasn’t sure what the LX would be like fix.

The service history showed shocks were replaced at like 60k miles, and currently has 280k. I can post the VIN if anyone wants to checkout the full service history.

Thanks!

if you have the money, time, and desire to keep AHC running, its probably worth keeping.
I deleted mine, and havent regretted it. Less maintenance, more reliability, etc.
Since I need it to tow, with an AHC delete wouldn’t I need airbags in the back?

I can’t imagine why AHC “shocks” needed replacing even once and especially twice. Very rare. Probably a stealership ploy.

AHC is usually a very dependable and simple system to work with. No way I would replace it unless I had to for some odd reason. Possible but not likely. I have 427k miles on one of my LXs with all original AHC…. and use it every day.

I tow a 3000lb pop up camper and love the ahc when towing. Swapped my accumulators and rear shocks last year and haven't looked back.

Read up on it. Baseline it if its not rotted away. Expect to put money into it initially… because at this point most 100 series trucks are full of deferred maintenance.

My truck had globes replaced once it its life before I got it at 220k. I did a fluid flush, torsion bar adjustment and checked globe health after buying. I am at nearly 260k now with zero issue. The system requires the most basic of maintenance at long intervals.

Its great people deleted theirs and never missed it. But I would wager the systems on those trucks never performed optimally, were rusted/destroyed… or some people love the ride of a GM truck more. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom