First oil change since purchase (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My Prius, which arguably has a motor that SHOULD burn oil, does not burn oil. 145k on it. I have not owned it since new but the records on it show the oil was changed every 10-12k by the dealer. The oil in it now has 8k miles on it and is still clear on the stick. 0W20. If anything I could probably extend to 15-20k intervals since the motor only actually runs 50-60% of the time you are driving it, but that seems excessive to me.

Hell even Ducati... DUCATI, a historically very crappy Italian manufacturer who is owned by Lamborghini has 9,000 mile oil change intervals. This is a company known far and wide to be a maintenance headache to own putting aesthetics before functionality 90% of the time. These bikes are built to be expensive to fix, and yet even they can engineer a motor that does not need an archaic and idiotic oil change interval. Also speaking from experience. My 2013 Hypermotard had 36k miles on it when I sold it. It had 4 oil changes in it's life. First one after engine break-in, then every 9k after that. One of the more reliable Italian bikes I have owned.

A man's money is his to piss away on what he wants, don't get me wrong, but it's a complete waste of time, money and oil. Lubricant and engine manufacturing has come a long way, and if some anectodal evidence on Youtube sways you to think otherwise, cool... I have some beachfront property in Antarctica for sale! Real cheap. PM me.

Last edited:
No offense Jiggletits but I do not believe you. I'm thinking you are just stirring the pot. I get that Ducati has a recommended 9K OCI. I don't believe that anyone follows that advice on such a high revving engine and has it last.

Yeah, agreed, synthetic oil does extend the oil changes. but better safe than sorry if you're the type that likes to keep their vehicles a very long time, like our family.

Yeah, agreed, synthetic oil does extend the oil changes. but better safe than sorry if you're the type that likes to keep their vehicles a very long time, like our family.
And the synthetic is so cheap now it's a no brainer to use. My reason for using synthetic is different than most. Conventional is every bit as good when doing frequent OCI's and engine does not have any overheat events. I like the piece of mind of added protection the synthetic has. I use Motul Double Ester synthetic in all my bikes.

Reactions: r2m
No offense Jiggletits but I do not believe you. I'm thinking you are just stirring the pot. I get that Ducati has a recommended 9K OCI. I don't believe that anyone follows that advice on such a high revving engine and has it last.
They do, I assure you. I live close to Erico Motorsports and while I don't trust their mechanics, I do drop in often to check out all the cool bikes. My 2013 had the 'strada kit and I rode it all over the country, mainly windy paved 2-lane roads. Chewed through tires like crazy, but oil? Nope.

You just have to stop thinking like it's 1987. Consider the battery in the smartphone in your pocket and compare it to batteries back then. Very different. Engine components have changed in similar ways.

Last edited:
That's what Toyota is all about. Your assumption that they don't know that is puzzling.

Again, do you really think Toyota would spec an OCI that wouldn't allow the engine to last a very long time?

They do, I assure you. I live close to Erico Motorsports and while I don't trust their mechanics, I do drop in often to check out all the cool bikes. My 2013 had the 'strada kit and I rode it all over the country, mainly windy paved 2-lane roads. Chewed through tires like crazy, but oil? Nope.

You just have to stop thinking like it's 1987. Consider the battery in the smartphone in your pocket and compare it to batteries back then. Very different. Engine components have changed in similar ways.

It's cool. My mom always liked the sound of the dry clutch on those Ducati's. Unfortunately I never had the skill or money to own one of those insanely light and powerful machines. The Panigale R was not within my reach but boy it was my dream machine. I remember dealers getting north of 40K for that bike when it came out. And no I would not have done 9K OCI's on that one. I'd probably change the oil after each track day along with the tires!! LOL

I’d frankly never do more than 3k changes using straight dino..thinking back when Castrol GTX was seen as the sh1t to get when I was a kid. :) … I do once a year myself… this usually translates to 5K on the GX and around 6-7k on my other vehicles. I use Amsoil in most vehicles but decided to stay with the high moly content of stock Mazda oil for my CX-5 which I think is made by Idemitsu

To be safe I use Mobil One Extended Performance, which claims to be good for 15k OCI.
Actually I was wrong, I checked and Mobil One EP is guaranteed for 20k, not 15k. Not sure I'd wanna try and collect on that guarantee, but still...

It's cool. My mom always liked the sound of the dry clutch on those Ducati's. Unfortunately I never had the skill or money to own one of those insanely light and powerful machines. The Panigale R was not within my reach but boy it was my dream machine. I remember dealers getting north of 40K for that bike when it came out. And no I would not have done 9K OCI's on that one. I'd probably change the oil after each track day along with the tires!! LOL

Most of the newer Ducs are a wet clutch and are water cooled. Panigale may be one of the exceptions, those bikes have A LOT of tech in them. Sweet bikes.

The water cooling contributes to the extended OCI and valve adjustment/timing belts are now every 18k instead of the former 6k miles. I think this all happened right around when Audi bought Lambo which meant they also indirectly bought Ducati.

Air cooled Ducs were fun, I had a few. Never liked the clutch noise with an open cover, or aftermarket exhausts either for that matter. They sound great stock. I had the Termignoni on my ‘13 for about two weeks and went back to stock. Too loud for long rides.

My 2009 hypermotard 1100s (air cooled) was more fun around town, and frankly way more of a beast (less refined), felt more like a true Ducati with how often it broke and how expensive it was to keep maintained. Still always made me smile. Wheelie machine. I did change the oil on that more often but it’s a pretty old school basic engine.

Since we have some non GX discussion... signed up for the Yamalube 20 year/100k mile/5,000 hour warranty on my new '22 Yamaha Grizzly XT-R EPS

Yes... I do realize I need to use their oil change kits and on schedule... I am fine with that.

1.jpeg

LMAO…apologies to all for relighting this thread. I just wanted to share my 5k OCI enthusiasm. It got really personal really quick for some. 😂

Just did my first time. It's hard to believe you have to go through all that for an oil change. It doesn't feel like 2022 at all. The front spline zerk would not take grease. I heard you can take a small torch to it but it was also not pointing the right way. I guess I need to drive it and go back up the ramp to align it. I wonder if I can jack it up and hand turn the front tires to move the drive shaft?

My 2005 4runner was in the group of head gasket failures. I used mobile one every 10k and never blew the head gasket. Rust will end my GX way before the engine.

I got the front spline to take grease. The zerk has to be dead left or right to get on properly with a lock n lube bit. Be safe and also look for crusty pink antifreeze residue under there near the engine. Indicates a potential coolant valley leak..

LockNLube makes at least 8 different tips and hitting them all in just about any position is not that hard with the right tools. I recommend getting a grease needle from any manufacturer.

I keep one on an entirely separate grease gun for convenience. Often I can hit all the zerks without moving the vehicle once.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom