Firewood? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I’ve got kubota m5 111 which with weighted rear tires is probably around 8000 pounds. I wrapped chain around upper 1/3 and using low gear and 4 wheel drive I hit the wall and nothing budged. I then turned around and tried the bucket and it stopped me cold.

I’m not sure if trying with the skid steer (pulling that is) now that I have huge hole around it pushing it with skid steer gonna be a challenge.

These were oak trees also. I’ve been pulling up 4-5 inch young oaks with skid steer last week and it’s amazing how much force it takes break them free.

I’ve been pulling up 4-5 inch young oaks with skid steer last week and it’s amazing how much force it takes break them free.

Yes. People think my 32,000 lb machine will pull any stump out, it won’t. They’re really anchored. And there’s a few factors, wet ground, dry ground, rocks in the ground, rotten tree, solid tree, and how big it is. Sometimes you just have to revert to the old way of digging around it and cutting the roots. It’s a lot of work, but it doesn’t fail.

Fill in the hole around the stumps, cut them closer yo the ground and rent a stump grinder and grind to below grade. To pay for the grinder rental setup jobs in advance to grind down other folks stumps.

tnt.jpg

Fill in the hole around the stumps, cut them closer yo the ground and rent a stump grinder and grind to below grade. To pay for the grinder rental setup jobs in advance to grind down other folks stumps.

This is an option I didn’t mention. I removed those two because I needed to put access through there and they had to come out, if nothings happening right there you can grind them.

Gonna try something similar. Slowly going to take mulcher on skid steer to it after I trim em down. Of course I have seized hydraulic coupler I need to relive the pressure on before I can do anything. Have to bury water line before I do anything anyway. Beautiful weekend here in Oklahoma today in mid 60s.

The hydraulics on the bucket of excavators are very powerful. Put the teeth under the bottom edge of the stump with the bucket almost flat and then lever up by closing the bucket. Use only the bucket cylinder.

The excavator might not be large enough but the tractor definitely won’t work - no leverage. Tractor might have had a chance if you could hook the chain 15’ high before you cut the tree.

The hydraulics on the bucket of excavators are very powerful. Put the teeth under the bottom edge of the stump with the bucket almost flat and then lever up by closing the bucket. Use only the bucket cylinder.

The excavator might not be large enough but the tractor definitely won’t work - no leverage. Tractor might have had a chance if you could hook the chain 15’ high before you cut the tree.
Tractor was used to pull down the half dead trees down in a safe manner due to their unpredictable nature.

I gave the stump everything the 35hp excavator had and every angle I could from underneath with bucket and it was too small for the job. Have to take daughter to college Tuesday. When I get home I’m going back in and cut em down some more then slowly hit em with the mulcher.

I went up yesterday and cut some more of that black oak. I didn’t bring much down, I didn’t take the trailer because I didn’t have time to do that much. Some of it has bad spots, I’ll just split that away.

View attachment 3190521
View attachment 3190522
View attachment 3190523
View attachment 3190524

I got the last of that oak split yesterday, and the pine waiting its turn.

14FD4A88-D471-4139-B16F-72950424BC78.jpeg

Some of it isn’t exactly solid, I’m gonna sort it for the burn barrel when I stack it.
2A9B8232-59B4-49AA-8D33-10292A5DDD97.jpeg

I also have three green roller waste bins full of what I don’t want, some rotten, some termite damaged, and a couple pieces had termites in it still. Overall I got a good amount of oak out of the big old tree.

Living in Wyoming I used to heat with wood. In particular from 1997 to 2005.

I would cut about 10 cords with a little 14” Stihl. Haul it home and buck it all up by hand. I would spend about six weeks doing this on weekends and after work, starting in September. These days that sounds like sooooooo much work!

Cheers

You bucked it at home, or you split it at home?

The saw is hibernating.

Everything gets bucked up in the mountains, then split and stacked for the winter beside my shed.

I’m in the ballpark of 3 cords burned so far this year.

My saws don’t hibernate in the winter. But it’s not firewood I cut, it’s cutting trees out of the road mostly.

We also buck in the mountains, I don’t understand the people that haul trailer length logs home, then buck them at home. I’m on a chainsaw/tree cutter forum with a lot of people from the northeast, and a lot of them do it that way.

We’ve probably burned a cord and a half this winter. Maybe more, I haven’t tried to keep track.

We have an MS 250 we can’t keep running. The shop worked on it three times, same problem. On the Arboristsite forum, others talk about problems with the saw too. I don’t know if they improved anything with the 251. What diameter are the trees you’ll be cutting? Around here people prefer bigger saws than those.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom