FIPG Not Set After Several Days (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey All,

I just reassembled my H151 manual transmission with a tube of Orange FIPG I got at my dealer. I recently used some Black FIPG to do my oil pan and it worked great.

The Orange FIPG was much harder to apply out of the tube than the black (harder to squeeze out) but seemed a decent consistency on the surface. I set the transmission aside and started disassembling my T-case. After 24hrs the Orange FIPG was just as wet as when it went on. Over the following 2-3 days it had gotten a bit more set up but not as cured and rubber like as the black FIPG I've used. Now I'm concerned about using it on the t-case. And concerned the transmission might leak.

Has anyone ever experienced this? I'm not thrilled about buying another tube of the stuff at dealer prices either.

Might not have an affect but how cold has it been

I was wondering about that. Median temp has been around 40F. I know some glues actually cure better in cold or humid weather. Not sure about Toyota’s FIPG.

40 degrees F is more than likely contributes to an extended cure time. First make sure the tube's expiration hasn't past. Second if possible move the transmission into heated room. If that is not possible then take a small sample of the FIPG and let it cure at room temperature to see how long it takes to cure. If it hasn't mostly cured within 24 hours then I would assume that you have a bad/expired product.

I couldn’t find any markings on the tube or the box that would indicate a manufacture date or an expiration date. I’ll try a sample at room temp to see if that cures properly. I also don’t see any indication of suggested curing temps on the box either.

I couldn’t find any markings on the tube or the box that would indicate a manufacture date or an expiration date. I’ll try a sample at room temp to see if that cures properly. I also don’t see any indication of suggested curing temps on the box either.

IF the very first part of the tube had any 'separated' liquid....then it has likely degraded. IF the product is an 'RTV' (Room Temperature Vulcanizing) then low temps WILL affect cure time. Also, if it is a 'moisture cure' product it can be affected by low humidity.

So....as you have planned, try some in a more controlled environment. It should 'skin over' within an hour if any good.

I’m going to let it warm up inside overnight and try a bead in controlled conditions in the morning.

There was definitely no wet discharge on the first squeeze. :cautious:

95ADBE52-BE9D-4CA3-A2DC-824E57138CD4.jpeg

Ran a test bead inside @ 70F and after 2hrs there's not even a hint of a skin starting to form. F*#k.

So i guess I have to tear down the transmission I just completely assembled, clean all the case and bloody start over. So much for doing it right and getting the correct Toyota FIPG. Lol.

So the now the question is do I roll the dice again, drive a 2hrs round trip to the deal, fork over $21 for ANOTHER tube of FIPG and hope fr the best. Or do i just go 5mi over to Autozone and get a tube of The Right Stuff. Right Stuff seems to get quite a lot of accolades.

I doubt i would be rolling the dice again for 2 more hours of driving..... Would be interested to know how well the right stuff does...i have some of the same work ahead of me..

I've had this happen with expired Loctite 5970 oil pan sealant. Surprisingly, it does have a shelf life and the tube that I had used was only like 2 months past the stamped on date. Does the Toyota stuff have any date markings on it that would indicate expiring?

It's either degraded or never was right to begin with. I wouldn't buy the same thing again as a 'lot' (certain number of the tubes) is likely out there. Another thing that is suspect is IF the product seems unusually hard to dispense.

But yes, sorry to say, you'll have reverse some amount of your hard work, clean the surfaces (again) really well and reseal it.

My guess is that it is past its usable expiration date.

My dad gave me a tube of latex caulk to seal up some barn doors. The caulk applied normally and I was able to clean up the joints. A month later I came back to check for shrinkage or holes and found the caulk just as fresh and runny as when I installed it. My dad didn't know how old the tube was but my guess was 10+ years.

I've had this happen with expired Loctite 5970 oil pan sealant. Surprisingly, it does have a shelf life and the tube that I had used was only like 2 months past the stamped on date. Does the Toyota stuff have any date markings on it that would indicate expiring?

Tube has some markings on the crimp at the bottom but I would need the Toyota FIPG decoder ring to understand it. Nothing that is obviously a date.

Going to try the Right Stuff and see how that works. Not the best place for an experiment... if it doesn't work I'll have to pull the trans and t-case completely back out and completely disassemble again.

Lesson learned: run a test bead of the FIPG before assembling components!!!

The 1281 does has expiration date. I looked at mine yesterday and it is expires =(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom