Find Waldo! (Parts question) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok... I got a helpful guy at my local dealer willing to get me some parts at great prices... trouble is, this dealership is friggin busy! I need time to do some research but we are run off the computer constantly... If I could get the part numbers, it would be a whole lot simpler.

My question: Where in the world can I get a CD, hardcopy, download or fishe of the '68 or 69 FJ 40 for North America. I saw some fishe on ebay for sale but has anybody had any luck? Was it a pain to use?

I would pay dearly (well a fair price) for a nice hard copy or CD. Is there a bootleg CD out there?

Thanks!

if you find one could you let me know

Call CruiserDan for parts. His ad is in the classifieds section. He'll find you the part number and deliver it to you. He's a frequent poster here too..

CruiserDan is da man but, I have a PILE of parts I need. I really need a CD or Manual.

If you give THIS man a fiche he will have parts for a lifetime...If he has very good vision...

I posted in the wanted section

you can buy the microfisch from the dealer, they run around $10 a set, depending on the year they might cover just one year or a range and models. If you can't find them or your dealer wont get them let me know and I can order them. Cdan(a member and Toyota parts manager) I would think can get them for you, here is how to get ahold of Dan
https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=17873

I have not used the CD's and I don't even know if the early stuff is even on them, I suspect its like 71+ (which is as far as I think the dealer computer goes back to)

the fisch is takin right from the paper parts books, pretty easy to use, best if you have a priting fisch or you will get a kink in your neck looking at some of the sideways pics

service manuals can be had direct from Toyota or a vendor or Ebay.

there are paper parts books, if you can find one expect to pay up to $100.

If it were me I would just call Dan and have him get you want you want.

Or tell us what your looking for.

John

I think I may have something I've downloaded but will have to wait until I get home to check my harddrive. I believe it is the actual computer program used by Toyota for parts look up.

2mbb said:

Mark's CD is the original fiche converted to PDF's, it is not the same as the Toyota EPC system. It covers 3/69 and up FJ40's.

F4x55B40 - FJ 40, FJ45, FJ55 and BJ40, pub date May '85 model year coverage: FJ40 and FJ55 6903-8007, FJ45 7606-8007, BJ40 7803-8007 Loosely translates as fiche published in 1985 covering 40 and 55 series from production date 3/69 to 7/80.

The CD looks like a heck of a resource, unfortunately 1969 and up is all new stuff for me. :D

the actaul toyota system runs on some odd operating system from Sun I think.

use to be there was a russian site with all the EPC's on it, not sure if its up anymore, it did go back to 69, then they changed it to 8.80 +

Bailey said:
I think I may have something I've downloaded but will have to wait until I get home to check my harddrive. I believe it is the actual computer program used by Toyota for parts look up.

Toyota EPC - Does It Really Work?

I haven't yet personally tried it, but Yankee Toys offers a download of the Toyota Electronic Parts Catalog (EPC) in a zip file format. (Requires unzip and burn to two CDs with specific volume labels and I just haven't gotten around to it.) Also, I don't think it's Cruiser-specific, so there's probably a bit of filtering to get to the stuff you need.

Details here: http://www.yankeetoys.org/Docs.htm

If you decide to give it a go, please post results.

Duster

Thanks for all of the good info folks. I ordered a fiche set and will get it soon. I contacted Mark and ordered a CD from him. It was $55 BUT... a lot of work went into it I'm sure to produce the PDF's. Well worth the price considering the amount of stuff I need to look up.

Unfortunatly it goes back to 3/69 like Cruiser_Nerd mentioned in an earlier post. There is not too terribly much that has changed since 10/68 (my cruisers production date). I know that some things like turn signals and tail lights are different and a few other things that I'm already aware of...

Since I am rebuilding my 68 and it is in a million peices right now, I need a pile of stuff. A whole lot of stuff like grommets, brackets, gaskets for lights and that is just the tip of the iceberg. Landpimp mentioned that CruiserDan can help out with parts and such but I am getting GREAT prices from my local Toyota guy and I need not pay shipping costs. The East Coast Distrobution center is right up the road from me. I will however keep CruiserDan in mind because of all of the help he has provided here! I know I'll come across some road block but I want to milk my parts guy for all he's worth right now.

I did download the EPC from yankeetoys.org and got the program running. It is actually quite nice. You can search on application for a vechile from part number and it has most Toyota models (all models, cars, trucks ect.) available in varying production years. The parts are grouped quite nicely and easy to find. I recommend getting it for a great reference. BUT... the model years covered are as followed (on one of the CD's):
(yr/mo)

8411-9001 RJ7#, LJ7#, BJ7#
8708-9001 FJ62-HJ6#
8008-8604 BJ4#, HJ47, FJ4#
8008-8708 BJ60, HJ6#, FJ6#

THere are some other Cruiser models covered on another CD but these are later model 90+ I'd check the exact models but I can't get the program to read the CD for some reason and I've spent enough time today dicking with the stuff. When I did have things working, it was pretty handy! Couple of notes about the EPC... You do need to burn 2 CD's and you will need to fiddle with your system to get things working. This application is a 16bit app written for windows 3.1 or win95. I am running win2k and did get it going and reading the data from the CD's. The data takes a long time to download (2 zip files about 230meg each) but if you have DSL/Cable or a T3 line, it is worth it if you have one of the yrs/models listed above.

Whoops... forgot to ask... Anybody have a 68 PM? hard copy will do... With a nice picture on the cover, delivered to my door, tomrrow would be nice.

I understand your relationship with your local parts guy.....I have a GREAT local guy and a nice discount as well, my dealer still has and uses the fisch and parts books. BUT, consider Dan, yes you will pay shiping but NO sales tax........prolly a wash, also a very nice discount and he is even a great guy.........:)

I have the Yankee Toys EPC, its OK but takes some getting use to, i seldom use it.

Marks CDs......I ordered them, they didnt work(and he knew there was a problem as he told me so), he said he would send new ones..........never did.............only been a few years........so I don't recomend them at all, waste of money and I hold a grudge pretty well :(

and YUP, I got the paper parts books and NOPE dont look for it at your door :D
68597460.jpg

If anyone has a stash of these I will pay a handsome price for them(if they are ones I dont have) Looking for 8/80+ as thats about the only one I am missing.

Like I mentioned the fisch and the parts books are intentical, the fisch is actaully goiing to be more up to date as it was the latest version.

I forget the cut off date, I think 1966, the old part #'s are not the same format as the newish stuff, so they can't be entered into the Toyota system to find parts, you need to call LA and have them check for the newer part #...........which seldom exists.

Please let me know what your looking for as I am willing to help......heck I prolly have the parts new in the box stashed away :D but you will be surprised what you can still get from Toyota.

Marks Off Road is a good source for early Cruiser stuff, he is a early cruiser nut and is a hoarder of new parts...........gotta love a guy like that ;)

trekker said:
Whoops... forgot to ask... Anybody have a 68 PM? hard copy will do... With a nice picture on the cover, delivered to my door, tomrrow would be nice.

Oi vey! Thanks LP. The fish is on it's way and I already have a James Bond briefcase reader scoped on that eBay thing. I appreciate the assistance and will def be in touch...

I need to pick up a smaller fisch reader, I was givin a HUGE Cannon printing fisch.....it just take up WAY to much room. I'll have to look at one of those James Bond units.......

Oi vey? sound almost Norweigen

trekker said:
Oi vey! Thanks LP. The fish is on it's way and I already have a James Bond briefcase reader scoped on that eBay thing. I appreciate the assistance and will def be in touch...

Thanks for the feedback on the EPC download from Yankee Toys. Still haven't done it, thanks mostly to a very engaging parts guy and a nice discount at my local parts counter. He even faxes me printouts of schematics so I can call in my orders and pay when I pick up the parts!

Suppose I'll have to go ahead and do the download at some point. If nothing else it'll be another Cruiser thing to look at and play with while tipping a couple (or more). :beer:

I can get any of the OEM fisch you need, back to 1961, they run about $10 each(set) some are just one fisch and one year and one model(such as a 45lpb) others(starting in the 80's) cover many years. The fisch is pretty easy to use once you get the hang of it.

BTW the OEM parts books average about $50 each, some I paid $5 for other over $100.......and thats if you can find them.

I added 4 more to my collection this weekend :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom