1971 FJ55 Barn Find Value? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all.

I’m looking to tap the knowledge of the Land Cruiser community to help me figure out what this thing is worth.

I have been eyeballing this FJ55 for the last couple of years, through some detective work I located the owner. The owner is an old guy who bought it either 10 or 20 years ago (depending on which day you catch him) because he “liked it.” He bought it, drove it about 20 miles and parked it where it sits today.

I finally convinced him to sell it to me, but after I got a chance to dig through it (which was admittedly a lot of fun), he came back with an absurdly high number. I’ve been doing Land Cruiser things for a long time and there’s no way it’s worth what he’s asking.

Here’s the rundown-

ODO shows 64k miles. Unknown if it has rolled over.

Original body, rot on the rockers in front of the rear wheels, rear quarters and rear sill are good, there’s definitely rust in the roof, although it isn’t rotten. Good frame. Original drum axles, original wheels, brakes, steering. The shell of this thing is surprisingly salvageable. Had a respray at some point, but the colors are original.

I opened the hood and discovered a desmogged 2F with a Mallory Ignition from the 90s and a Holley 2 barrel carb. The engine has a on old speed shop sticker on it, makes me wonder if it was punched out at some point. I was hoping for a numbers matching original 1F, but this engine is obviously better to drive. I didn’t try to turn it over or anything, my plan would be to break it loose very gently. Not a put gas in it and see what happens thing.

Transmission is a 3 speed converted to floor shift.

Original dash with no cracks, original rat shredded seats, original floor mats, original rear heater which had some sort of home brew valves and lines to operate it.

The biggest heart break, other than the engine not being original, is that the floors are completely wasted. Not from the bottom but from the top. They’re wet, and every time it rains water comes into the vehicle. All seals are gone so it’s just a moldy, rusted rat s*** filled mess on the inside. They’re so bad that I actually wouldn’t want to drive it and I’ve driven some sketchy old Cruisers.

Windshield is cracked.

I took my 12V jump box with me and hooked it up to the electrical system and it appears that the harness is intact!

Unfortunately no effort was made to preserve the vehicle when it was parked. Gas tank is undoubtedly full of lacquer and water, everything made of rubber is bad.

Despite all of this the vehicle will be easier to get running-ish than originally thought, but it’s going to be a lot more challenging to make it a driver, let alone restore, than I was originally expecting.

So, what do you guys really think I should offer the owner? Like, realistic numbers. I can tell you he thinks it’s worth what a running, driving FJ55 with solid floors is worth, I actually laughed when he said $10,000. I suspect I’m going to walk away from this one, but I wanted to get the community’s take before I close the book on this one.

IMG_3290.jpeg

There aren't many of these things left. I loved my 1977 FJ55 and it eventually rusted away living in the rustbelt and driving it on the beach at Assateague Island in Maryland. Great memories. I say go for it if your pockets are deep enough to throw another $15,000 - 20,000 towards the project.
D33C4840-E934-4CB6-BA9A-62E5B97D2B88_1_105_c.jpeg
9234BD15-C13A-40AD-B084-FCF295A67F14_1_105_c.jpeg

From the looks of it with just one pic it looks pretty straight.
it has been siting for awhile but I think it will clean up nicely.
price seems to be ok like TEaikens said they are hard to come by and makes them more desirable.
regardless if you do get it for cheaper your still going to spend some coin on it.

It is surprisingly straight but worse than I was expecting in some ways. I’m trying not to operate from a scarcity standpoint. I know there aren’t many left and really want this thing but I know FJ55s are tricky beasts and I don’t want to be stupid about it because I want it.

I can score a rough but less rotten FJ55 for $15-$20k. I’m having a hard time with this being worth $10k as it sits. Maybe I’m wrong?

I mean from the outside it’s looking pretty dang solid for a pig. Are the interior floors rotted and gone or just surfaced and pitted?

He’s not absurd on his price…I gagged a little saying that. $5-$7k would feel better. I mean a power wash and some rubbing compound would have this looking killer.

It’s going to take Probabaly every soft hose/surface repaired, replaced conditioned. Axles/brakes tires.

If the inside is rotted and gone, then I would honestly skip it. There are some panels to repair but these are much harder to repair than 40s.

2f nice, 3 speed meh..drum brakes are meh and replacing 8 wheel cylinders sucks. But is it is a 55. You can hang out with all the weirdos, outcast, socially awkward, potentially restraining ordered, 55 owners in there own little hidden section of mud…not that we banished them there…

FJ55s that sit for a couple years usually look like this.

38D8484F-F52A-4FB2-AF2B-0711E4495E1A.jpeg

Post some pics of the problem areas you see that are bad.
Can’t really go by one pic.
Let’s see some more.

I mean from the outside it’s looking pretty dang solid for a pig. Are the interior floors rotted and gone or just surfaced and pitted?

He’s not absurd on his price…I gagged a little saying that. $5-$7k would feel better. I mean a power wash and some rubbing compound would have this looking killer.

It’s going to take Probabaly every soft hose/surface repaired, replaced conditioned. Axles/brakes tires.

If the inside is rotted and gone, then I would honestly skip it. There are some panels to repair but these are much harder to repair than 40s.

2f nice, 3 speed meh..drum brakes are meh and replacing 8 wheel cylinders sucks. But is it is a 55. You can hang out with all the weirdos, outcast, socially awkward, potentially restraining ordered, 55 owners in there own little hidden section of mud…not that we banished them there…

FJ55s that sit for a couple years usually look like this.

View attachment 3472028
Post some pics of the problem areas you see that are bad.
Can’t really go by one pic.
Let’s see some more.
I am usually a big pictures guy and I was so turned off by what this guy wanted initially that I didn’t bother taking pictures, it was only after I left that I thought about it.

The outside is way better than your average pig. The best way I can describe the interior is “dank.” Floors and mats are rotten and wet. The floor pans themselves are really bad, especially in the front. Rear pans aren’t push through with your finger bad, but pretty ugly. Seats are original but done for due to rot and rats.

This was a fine truck when it was parked, guess I’m pretty pissed that this guy let it go to hell and just might make money off it despite that…

I dunno I’m down for a big project, that’s I got so excited about this, but the cost of entry is giving me serious pause. I know that this is probably my last chance to own a pig. If this thing was at least running and driving and in the otherwise same condition I might feel differently. Still mulling it over all of the opinions are welcome!

Last edited:
Well offer him what you think it is worth.
With all that rust. Either way for a low price your still going to spend some money to get it right.
It is really a matter of what your willing to pay for it and knowing even after the purchase price there is more money to be spent.
If you know you can do the floors then that’s a plus. Either way it is a lot of work.
It’s to bad people just leave them outside to die and rot. Then want too dollar for them in a rusty state. Shame
Good luck with your decision.

I think he doesn't want to sell it. I like the 40 and 45 well enough - never had any use for the 55.

I'd keep looking, maybe ask him next year, who knows maybe you can buy it after he passes for a much better price.

I’m not real up on 55 values but there’s half dozen or more each on Facebook and Craigslist for less than that running. Some in WA and MT for $2000 or less in similar described shape.
To me, the paint condition or color wouldn’t matter because if it needs rust repair, it needs paint. One big pig problem is interior parts and upholstery. If it’s not in good shape it’s going to be custom (depending the end result you’re after).
Not saying this one isn’t worth saving but I wouldn’t think it’s worth it even at $5000.

"I know that this is probably my last chance to own a pig."

Well there ya go. If it's important to you, make it happen. Offer him what makes sense to you; worst he can do is say no. I think $5K would be a steal, if you don't like 10 then offer 8. Then give him his 10 and put another 10 into it.

Put aside your feelings for him and save this pig!

Value is all in your eyes. We can't tell you how much to spend. It looks straight but you're going to spend a lot of time getting it running, fixing the floors and all the other items that need addressing before it can be 'roadworthy'.

I personally wouldn't spend more than 6-7k at most but if you're a skilled welder then floors are a breeze. Assume 5-8k getting it roadworthy.

Thanks to everyone who chimed in! I have revised my offer to him we’ll see what happens.

I’ve been around a lot of Cruisers, just not 55s. I know that there are some good bones in there, but the interior and floors are what really have me feeling cautious. I know that with a 55 you can’t just snap your fingers and get replacement body panels and stuff.

I was pretty disappointed about the interior condition of this thing, if the interior was like the exterior I’d be ready to plop $8k for this thing despite not having the original engine and some wonky stuff here and there, my budget was up to $10k just to get it running including vehicle purchase, with the intent to put big money into either turning it into a hardcore offroad rig if I discovered more rot or a full restoration. I think it’ll run fairly easily but making the interior and floors inhabitable is going to be a lot of money.

We’ll see what happens!

Don't worry about the brakes. You would probably do 4 wheel discs with an 80 master anyway.
Old 2Fs are very forgiving and just need a little Marvel mystery oil to get running again.
Front floor panels are available. Cut off the rust and make it a wheeler...

20230101_113236.jpg

pghead2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom