Finally got my windshield installed correctly (pics) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The PO had a PPG installed and it's warped and wavy... I'm getting ready to pull the trigger myself.

If you can, go with the bronze. It gives a really nice tint to everything. Nicer than green IMO

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD while navigating gnarly trail. Typos are inherent.

I took my 100 to SafeLite and while sitting in the waiting room I decided to peek out the window and see how they were coming along. The guy had a large yellow crow bar and was about to use the windshield as leverage to pop the trim up. He said it's the only way to replace the windshield and I would need to order all new OEM parts. He also tried telling me that large screws was the only way to secure the windshield in place...he also mentioned he had the intention of breaking the old windshield out...and he had done dozens of LX and LC's.

I took my keys, backed out, and left. I have a crack all the way across the windshield, 8 huge rock chips, a new crack starting, and some serious pitting. I'm absolutely terrified to the point I don't think I'll ever replace it. That, and the whole experience threw me so far off, that I am terrified of taking it to someone.

Do I really need to purchase all new trim pieces? Is it a requirement that they take crow bars to the a-pillar?

On a scale of 1-10, how hard would it be to replace it yourself? I feel like the only way to get quality work on these rigs is to learn and do it yourself. :meh:

It doesn't need all new trim pieces. Just a few and they are cheap. Your side mouldings are $400 so don't let anyone ruin them. I wish you could bring your cruiser to Michigan. I have a guy here who does a flawless job. You need to ask around on mud who the closest good glass tech is.

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD while navigating gnarly trail. Typos are inherent.

Wow that sounds horrific 2000UZJ! I thought safelite was supposed to be professional?!? Also don't they use a fancy mechanical arm for the install? Do you think it was just that installer doing a half ass job? Or safelite as a company?

Sent from my iPhone, please embrace the typos

If you have a really trusted body shop in the area, someone who even does old car restos, ask them who they use. That's how I found my guy. He can and does install glass on old cars. So he knows what he's doing.

See if you have a PPG Prostar vendor in the area, I have had good luck with them.

Sent from my interwebz doo-dad

If you can, go with the bronze. It gives a really nice tint to everything. Nicer than green IMO

Stick with the color of your side windows. Green on the sides and Bronze on the front will drive you crazy!

Safelite may not be perfect the first time, but the good thing is they stand behind their work and will come back out and fix it. It's not much of a worry if they do it while you are parked at work. It took them 3x to do my windshield but they eventually got it right.

I was going to use a local place but was worried they wouldn't come back out if it wasn't right the first time.

Stick with the color of your side windows. Green on the sides and Bronze on the front will drive you crazy! Safelite may not be perfect the first time, but the good thing is they stand behind their work and will come back out and fix it. It's not much of a worry if they do it while you are parked at work. It took them 3x to do my windshield but they eventually got it right. I was going to use a local place but was worried they wouldn't come back out if it wasn't right the first time.

This is true. My glass is bronze all the way around so it made sense for me.

It doesn't need all new trim pieces. Just a few and they are cheap. Your side mouldings are $400 so don't let anyone ruin them. I wish you could bring your cruiser to Michigan. I have a guy here who does a flawless job. You need to ask around on mud who the closest good glass tech is.

If the dealer doesn't figure out a fix for my wind noise soon, I might just drive over to Michigan! This is driving me bat poop crazy. They own their own glass company so that is what they are using. They tried to blow me off after the second "fix" until I politely told them I photographed the rivets that were not seated, the missing trim and the fact that I could only see 1/3 of the VIN. They tried again, and fixed those issues, but now the glass is wavy and still noisy. Dealer is trying to tell me it is a "high profile" vehicle and that will just make noise (really cuz my 94 did not). Now they want to install a deflector. Not excited about that option. It isn't fixing the issue. Grrrrr.

. . . Ask them about the rivets. . .

I learned this the hard way. I've had 3 replaced since owning the vehicle. The first one or two installs they replaced the rivets with screws. Next time, that will be corrected.

If the dealer doesn't figure out a fix for my wind noise soon, I might just drive over to Michigan! This is driving me bat poop crazy. They own their own glass company so that is what they are using. They tried to blow me off after the second "fix" until I politely told them I photographed the rivets that were not seated, the missing trim and the fact that I could only see 1/3 of the VIN. They tried again, and fixed those issues, but now the glass is wavy and still noisy. Dealer is trying to tell me it is a "high profile" vehicle and that will just make noise (really cuz my 94 did not). Now they want to install a deflector. Not excited about that option. It isn't fixing the issue. Grrrrr.

Sorry to hear that. Seems like there is a lot of variability in install quality since it's a common problem. I hope you can come to an equitable resolution, but it doesn't sound too hopeful. OTOH - after installing a hood deflector, that did cut down on the number of impacts to the windshield. But even then, it's not a cure all. Good luck.

This makes me curious. How much wind noise really should there be? I had a ton before the windshield replacement. After the new glass was installed, it cut it down a lot, but I still have some and even have an occasional whistle. I wish I knew someone nearby with a LC I could test drive...

I was able to get my insurance company to pay for a factory Lexus windshield on my 07 LX470 that I just purchased :clap: But I need to find a good installer, the last time I had my windshield replaced, about 6 years ago, I took it to a Lexus dealer. I had nothing but wind noise and leaks (I later traded the LX470) I hope I don't run into any problems this time around.

Most dealers sub the windshield work as they don't have a full time glass guy. It just depends on finding the best installer, replacing all of the rivets and moldings that need to be.... And using OEM glass if possible. LX/LC is a perfect scenario to hack a windshield replacement. I'd call around to more than one Toyota, Lexus, or other high end dealers and see who they use... It's probably one of the better installers in town. The big operations have done some hackery I have seen first hand.

My new to me LX has a leak on the passenger floorboard. The windshield has been replaced at some point, but I'm fairly certain it's missing some parts. I've read most of the threads on here about rivets, moldings, etc but I have yet to see any detailed pictures of where these rivets go. I don't think mine has any?? There is a hole in the trim were a rivet could go, but it doesn't go all the way through to the A pillar. The picture doesn't show the back but the hole meets flat metal right behind it. There's no room for a rivet. Also, shouldn't there be more molding on top of this? Mine sits exactly as pictured, so I think I'm missing the gasket trim.

Either way, I have moderate wind noise and a leak. The outer trim appears to have adhesive between it and the A pillar at a minimum.

20140909_074210.jpg

20140909_074024.jpg

This is the side that's leaking. The trim is popping up. How is this fastened? Just tape? I want to pull it all off and redo it.

20140909_074032.jpg

I have the same piece of trim popping up in the same place, but it currently isn't leaking.

I have the same piece of trim popping up in the same place, but it currently isn't leaking.

I finally got around to fixing that. I scraped off the old double sided tape from the body and back side of the trim and put down new 3m tape. Then I used a 4" C-clamp to hold it snug for a few hours. So far it's holding.

Most dealers sub the windshield work as they don't have a full time glass guy. It just depends on finding the best installer, replacing all of the rivets and moldings that need to be.... And using OEM glass if possible. LX/LC is a perfect scenario to hack a windshield replacement. I'd call around to more than one Toyota, Lexus, or other high end dealers and see who they use... It's probably one of the better installers in town. The big operations have done some hackery I have seen first hand.

Welp. I've fallen victim to the hacked windshield replacement. Found a LX for my mom and knew the windshield had been replaced, but chanced buying it because it had a ton of maintenance and repairs already done and the price was right.

It has an excessive wind rush noise and an A-Pillar molding sticking up (moldings likely urethane glued down and no rivets installed). Visible moldings were not replaced when the glass was changed. I will make every attempt to take some pictures and document the windshield being replaced by a guy that knows what he's doing.

These trucks need Lexus/Toyota glass or high quality aftermarket glass, rivets, and all new moldings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom