Builds Finally got my own...Meet BeBe (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well tonight I got confirmation... not sure if all of you have seen my RTH thread about what I thought was a massive air bubble, but well it wasn't.
Basically over the weekend I tried putting some new coolant in the system only to have her take a whole gallon of fluid and then puke it out on my driveway and in the local Petsmart parking lot. Lots and LOTS of bubbling, banging and other noises coming from the radiator that I was trying to figure out.

Today after work I ran to NAPA and grabbed myself their Exhaust Gas Test Kit (#700-1006) and tested at home.. She warmed up pretty quick and then I started the test.. final result is that there is carbon dioxide in the coolant which means the head gasket is gone.

Video

Pic...
Untitled by Greg Fisicaro, on Flickr

That really sucks. I didn't chime in on your RTH thread since other people were speaking my thoughts but I knew that it had to be a head gasket.

I've put new coolant in a bone dry block 2 times in the past couple months and the air seemed to self purge after a few short trips. That's what made me skeptical about the massive air bubble diagnosis.

On the bright side you have the issue resolved and can spend the money where it counts to get your rig back on the road! Plus a fresh head to boot!

Knowing is better than not and with that a direction is much more clear.

Can anyone tell me which is the correct Carb Rebuild kit to buy for a 10/85 60? I know that Keystar was the company but can never remember which kit it is. Figure while I am going to have all this taken apart I might as well get to that rebuild like I had wanted.

Looks like buddy and I are going to clear out part of the barn on Sunday, grab the trailer and tow her over there and start getting things setup.

Can anyone tell me which is the correct Carb Rebuild kit to buy for a 10/85 60? I know that Keystar was the company but can never remember which kit it is. Figure while I am going to have all this taken apart I might as well get to that rebuild like I had wanted.

Looks like buddy and I are going to clear out part of the barn on Sunday, grab the trailer and tow her over there and start getting things setup.

@cruiseroutfit has them in stock. Call Kurt and get one coming. His part # CARB61171--$27.50

Jason

Thanks J... will be ordering that shortly from him figure that while I have it off the head might as well rebuild it.

Trying to think of other good things to do while I am at it that wont break the bank....
List so far is:
- mill head
- magnaflux head
- test radiator
- mill manifold
- replace water pump
- replace t-stat
- replace oilpan gasket
- replace side cover gasket
- do galley plug
- weld up EGR pipe on manifold
- replace oil cooler hoses
- replace lower rad hose
- rebuild carb

Anything else that should absolutely be on the agenda while this is getting done?

Pressure test the head.
Magnaflux sometimes does not reveal leaks. Ask the shop if they pressure test.

If you're removing the EGR, the distributor needs to be recurved by Jim. Unless you've already done that.

Get a tap to chase all the block head bolt threads. This is very important.

Pressure test the head.
Magnaflux sometimes does not reveal leaks. Ask the shop if they pressure test.

If you're removing the EGR, the distributor needs to be recurved by Jim. Unless you've already done that.

Get a tap to chase all the block head bolt threads. This is very important.
ok, yeah I will ask them to fully test the head. Got a recommendation from a local gearhead friend for a shop to do it.

@Output Shaft What is the tap size I will need for the head bolts?

13x1.75 mm

I can send you mine if you want.
PM me.

image.jpeg

Thanks Kurt I appreciate it. Got a full engine gasket kit coming then to get everything pulled apart and the head off to a machine shop along with the manifold.

I will do my best to document everything with photos.

Ok got a question for everyone..... I remember looking through some different threads on head/top-end rebuild and thought I saw someone say that best way to remove it was with the manifold and carb still attached.

Did I dream this or ???? Is this recommended? Figuring I will rent a hoist/cherry picker to get the head off easily and back on but can't remember how it was done.

Thank you @Output Shaft I just read through that and some great info in there... Even though JimC said that head bolts are lifetime I went ahead and ordered some new ones. I will keep the old ones around just in case.

I used new HB too.
They torqued up much differently than my old one used to. A lot less friction.

I am certain that that alone increased the head clamping force significantly, even though torqued to the same spec.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom