Builds FerrisBueller's 2018 LC Build - "Moby" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looking good, I can't wait to see the finished product. You should rattle can the resonator while you're down there too. Lastly, how are you liking those Baja Boss A/T's?

Good idea, I will paint the resonator (at least the tip, anyway). It looks pretty bad.

I have only driven the Baja Boss A/T normal roads so far, and they have been great. They've been relatively quiet for how aggressive they are (and 3-ply). I'll have a ton more offroad related observations after my trip next month.

What did partsouq say about replacement?

Wow, Parsouq issued me a refund today for the filler tube with the cracked plastic collar ($100), including shipping ($200). I can't believe I just got $300 back on this project!

Wow, Parsouq issued me a refund today for the filler tube with the cracked plastic collar ($100), including shipping ($200). I can't believe I just got $300 back on this project!
That’s awesome to hear! Are you going to get another filler (if you can find one)?

If you figure out this sub-tank shenanigans ill do it right after you. Only a couple things I need to do left on this truck to leave it alone from here lol.
Thanks for doing the hard work!

That’s awesome to hear! Are you going to get another filler (if you can find one)?
Nope, just going to use it and pocket the refund 😁

Only a couple things I need to do left on this truck to leave it alone from here lol.

I've been saying the same thing since I bought my LC three years ago, there's always just a couple things left 😄

I've been saying the same thing since I bought my LC three years ago, there's always just a couple things left 😄

Same, I have this delusion that it'll be done next year, I should know better than that after all of these builds lol.

Same, I have this delusion that it'll be done next year, I should know better than that after all of these builds lol.

I knew you would fold immediately with that keeping it stock talk early on lol.

I knew you would fold immediately with that keeping it stock talk early on lol.

Well in all fairness that's while it was still the misses daily, I knew it would get modded once we no longer used it in that capacity.

I was going through my plan for the fuel subtank today, measuring everything to make sure I have the extra fittings, hoses, etc. that I'll need.

@grinchy I keep thinking that it's simply not necessary to splice the subtank into the vent line to the charcoal canister? There already is a full vent loop between the two tanks (main vent -> subtank -> subtank vent -> filler neck -> main fill port) that would allow equalization of fumes & pressure between the two, so that I think I'll be okay just keeping the (main tank -> charcoal canister -> filter -> atmosphere) connected the way it is stock and leave the two tiny evap ports on the subtank plugged / unused. This mimics the LRA as well, where the charcoal canister stays connected to the main tank. Any thoughts about if this might cause problems? I figure I can at least try it, and if I have problems, then just go ahead and splice the subtank in the charcoal canister loop at that time.

I was going through my plan for the fuel subtank today, measuring everything to make sure I have the extra fittings, hoses, etc. that I'll need.

@grinchy I keep thinking that it's simply not necessary to splice the subtank into the vent line to the charcoal canister? There already is a full vent loop between the two tanks (main vent -> subtank -> subtank vent -> filler neck -> main fill port) that would allow equalization of fumes & pressure between the two, so that I think I'll be okay just keeping the (main tank -> charcoal canister -> filter -> atmosphere) connected the way it is stock and leave the two tiny evap ports on the subtank plugged / unused. This mimics the LRA as well, where the charcoal canister stays connected to the main tank. Any thoughts about if this might cause problems? I figure I can at least try it, and if I have problems, then just go ahead and splice the subtank in the charcoal canister loop at that time.
You certainly can try it! I just went ahead and copied the OEM evap loop, but that was made to conform to regulatory and possibly other standards and may not have much actual functionality. I didn't see it as any additional work since I was just using OEM parts anyhow.

Trying to make what little progress I can after work each day so that I only have the bigger things to finish over the long holiday weekend. Started installing some components on the subtank and plugging some ports.

20230523_164539.jpg

20230523_164406.jpg

This is one of a few different reasons why I'm chopping the two filler tubes and only using the bung portion from the foreign filler. The vent connection is placed significantly higher up and with a much wider displacement on the foreign filler. I don't want to deal with the overhead of getting that installed (grichy had to do a temporary body lift to get his in place).

20230524_193006.jpg

Tonight I tentatively marked where I will cut the filler tubes and the adapter hoses (different diameter on each end) that will attach them. At first I attempted to make a paper template to ensure I mark and cut both fillers at the exact same places... but as it turns out, the two fillers curve at slightly different angles at that point, so they can't be cut at the exact same place near the curve. Instead, I'll have to cut one above the curve and one below. Luckily, the Spectra Premium FNH216 hose has exactly the correct diameters and angle for this (purchased from rockauto). The hose's angle matches the stock filler. In this photo below, you shouldn't be able to see the curve of the foreign filler protruding past the stock filler at the elbow if they had been the same angle, but they are not the same angle.

20230524_205627.jpg

20230524_194234.jpg

20230524_194358.jpg

20230524_194406.jpg

20230524_195209.jpg

Yes, I have an extra oem filler for doing these fit checks without putting the LC out of commission. While @grinchy was willing to send me his extra filler, the shipping was prohibitively expensive because the strange shape and length made it "oversized". Somehow high-volume sellers get some sort of huge shipping discount because I bought this one from a used parts seller on ebay with free shipping for relatively cheap.

I didn’t have any fitment clearance issue up by the due door, it was down by the crossmember, and I think bending the dual filler vent more toward the main pipe would quickly resolve.

So you plan to cut and join the main filler pieces by soft hose and clamp? And just run a longer vent hose up to the filler door/ dual fill portion?

So you plan to cut and join the main filler pieces by soft hose and clamp? And just run a longer vent hose up to the filler door/ dual fill portion?

Yes, exactly

It's hard to tell from this drawing, but this is the plan:

20230524_212354.jpg

Edit: and I'm not using 1/4" hose, so ignore that in the drawing, I'm using 5/16" instead. I think 1/4" might be the better choice, though.

Last edited:
I couldn't buy the siphon hard line that mounts to the frame, so I'm using hose there, too.

I couldn't buy the siphon hard line that mounts to the frame, so I'm using hose there, too.

Yeah I was curious about that. I couldn’t find the frame clips, so zip ties for all that anyhow. . . .

Everything cut. Need to debur, and can assemble it.

20230525_170934.jpg

I drew alignment lines before I cut:

20230525_160533.jpg

20230525_160602.jpg

20230525_160556.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom