Favorite spray can/brush paints & your prep practices? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

LINUS

Waiting for the Great Pumpkin
Threads
Thought I'd start a thread about favorite paints you use -either rust converters or for clean metal- kind of like a "pet handloads" of ammo, just for paint.

I have no experience with John Deere paints, so would like to hear on those myself.

My favorites:

==Clean metal - Rustolium Industrial primers & topcoat. Clean steel I get away with the topcoat paint alone & it holds great for all welding projects.

Fancy stuff - VHT primer & topcoat, or Duplicolor if VHT doesn't have a color close enough to what I'm doing.

==Rust converter paint - POR-15. I follow the directions & works great, just wire wheel or wire brush the loose stuff & goop it in. There may be a spray version, but my 1 horse town onlt has the brush on cans.
An obscure paint that we used in a sulfuric acid refinery was Tnemec Omnithane 530 - it's a brushed high build primer with aluminum powder in it (only came in silver color), it had tooth like you wish paints had, and it was super on either rusty steel you wirewheeled, or on clean new metal.

Edit: Found it!
http://www.tnemec.com/product/view/Series-530-Omnithane

Didn't even have to scuff new metal, but it would make it last years longer that way.
It's $$$$ though. If sprayed with acid it just stained it a golden color.

Last edited:
Shameless consolidation of a thread with JOhn Deere paint, since I can hardly ever re-find threads & now have some 3-400 'watched threads':

Blitz Black John Deere

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom