Fan and fan clutch removal help. Will not come off. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The photo may not make it clear but the grooved pulley that the belts run on has completely detached and can be moved by hand. It is behind the water pump fan mount. Not sure why. Maybe someone attached it to the back side of pulley water pump instead of between the water pump and the fan clutch mount.

The fan and clutch will not budge. It is still seized in place (most likely rust on the post like people have said).

In the above photo I am using a pry bar to separate the belt pulley from the water pump just for the photo. I am not sure what washer/spacer you are seeing @peesalot.

Maybe this video will help clarify my situation.

At this point I'd drain the coolant and pull the radiator. It's a PITA but really only takes a half hour to remove. These 40 series always seem to take a few extra steps than you plan anyway. There should be plenty of room to leverage it out after removal. If not, you now have acess to remove the water pump bolts and hoses then pull the entire apparatus up and out. If the thermostat housing is in the way, it's easy to remove for clearance. Something similar happened to me in a different car once and after ripping my knuckles off several times on the dang radiator, the best call was just to get it out of the way and do the job right. Worked for me. Good luck!

Thats a wierd failure I have never seen, That piece you are prying out on will come forward toward radiator or no ? It appears you pulley has completey come apart and your fan is rusted to the index snout, unless I am completely missing something.

Wow
That fan clutch is sure stuck.
Sorry your going through that.
But it is a Landcruiser they do surprise and and sometimes not make it easy.
As mentioned by cruiserkev it’s best at this point to remove the radiator and get in there with more room to work with. Would hate to see you ruin your radiator in such a tight area.
Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom