Fan and fan clutch removal help. Will not come off. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I need help getting the fan and clutch assembly off of my 1980 FJ40. I know it should be dead simple but it will not budge. I have removed the 4 bolts, sprayed it with Kroil (for two days) and used the BFH as best I can. There are not a lot of options on hitting with a hammer. I have tried to hit all sides of the bracket just in front of the pulley but it will not give. I even tried heating it up with a BoltBuster but could not get it very hot. There is too much material to heat it. I also tried to "pry" it off from behind the pulley but I really cannot get much of a purchase behind the pulley and it is loose. The pulley has actually broken off of the fan bracket which is why I am trying to remove the fan and clutch.

Anybody have some suggestions? I really don't want to have to pull the radiator.

Fan Bracket  - 1.jpeg

Remove fan from the fan clutch and put a piece of cardboard or a sheet of wood to prevent the fan clutch from digging into your radiator. if you do get it loose and may pull out quick.
most likely the fan clutch is somewhat seized .

I am not sure if I understand how you would remove fan from clutch with out removing the assembly from the water pump first. I will look tomorrow and see if I can get to the screws with it still on the front of the motor.

I am not sure if I understand how you would remove fan from clutch with out removing the assembly from the water pump first. I will look tomorrow and see if I can get to the screws with it still on the front of the motor.
The fan is held by 4 10mm nuts that you unscrew. you can use a 10mm wrench or or 10mm 1/4 inch socket.

The fan is held by 4 10mm nuts that you unscrew. you can use a 10mm wrench or or 10mm 1/4 inch socket.
I do not see how I could get a wrench or socket between the radiator and the front of the fan to remove it from the clutch. Even if I could remove the nuts, I do not think I could slide the fan out from between the clutch and the radiator.

Maybe you can snake a 1/4 inch ratchet between the fan blades to get at the 10mm nuts holding the fan on the fan clutch to create more room to work? Then take the shroud loose and manipulate the fan out of the shroud first, then the shroud.

Maybe you can snake a 1/4 inch ratchet between the fan blades to get at the 10mm nuts holding the fan on the fan clutch to create more room to work? Then take the shroud loose and manipulate the fan out of the shroud first, then the shroud.
I do not think I could get anything between the radiator and the fan. Even if I did get the nuts off, the fan does not have enough space to come off the clutch without the radiator being removed.

Fan Bracket  - 1 (1).jpeg

Well in that case, pull the radiator. So you have been running without a fan shroud?
I do have a shroud but have never really had a problem with over heating. I have one that I had modified to fit the aluminum radiator but the fan I got was too big for the radiator opening. I have always intended to get the smaller size fan, but never did because over heating has not been a problem.

If I can not get this to come off, I guess I can use it as a motivation to swap the fan, replace the water pump, and add the shroud. I would prefer to get it running again quicker that all of that.

No, he means a blow to the snout of the pulley just inside clutch, have you looked at pics of a water pump flange so you have a good idea of what is stuck, typically the flange and indexing nub will rust/mate to the pulley. I know you said it but did you try heating the pulley with plumbers torch ? IMO enough heat to work could melt seal in water pump , may have to remove water pump. Heat thr snout of pully with plumbers torch, pry 180* out with 2 pry bars as reasonable as you can get or take stuff off to get access, heat & pry left right very slightyly until you get the index hub to pop loose, the flat surface of the pump flange likes to stick to back of pulley, focus heat on snout, if wont budge, get an air hammer and spin the pulley as you lightly ( not deform pulley ) air hammer on the shoulder just behind the studs. I have a brass tip for the air hammer. More specific would be if that doesnt work remove water pump. You may need a second to hold pressure on both pry bars while you heat & air hammer it.

Last edited:
I will keep trying to get the right combination of BFH and leverage. I have hit the "snout" (good description) of the pulley. At this point I am not too concerned about denting the clutch base because it is probably due a replacement.

I will keep spraying, heating (with the Bolt Buster), and prying for a few days before I remove radiator and get more aggressive.

I will let you guys know what works.

I like the bolt buster concept but I think a propane torch would put heat where you need it, the BB doesn't fit IMHO. +1 for a rusted stud and shoulder flange. I would quit fooling around and pull the radiator to you have room to work. Doing a valve threw the tail pipe is for a proctologist :)

I said plumbers torch, not bolt buster, run that ****er hot till you think its too hot, then air hammer it.

Well, I have beaten the crap out of the clutch with no success. As you can imagine I have beaten it up pretty good. At this point I realize I need to just remove the radiator and replace the clutch and water pump. At the same time I will get the 16.25 inch diameter fan and install the shroud that I have had for years.

So the original problem that caused me to start this repair is the pulley coming loose from the water pump. Can you guys give me an idea of how the belt pulley attaches to the pulley? From what you can see in the below photo, can mine be reused? I do not know what caused to come loose in the first place.

Fan Bracket  - 1 (2).jpeg

You got yourself a unicorn there, I have not seen a washer/spacer there, wierd, grooved pulley part still not move ? time to disassemble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom